IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 is250 hum noise differential louder with speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 09:32 AM
Jmax3
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 is250 hum noise differential louder with speed

Had this issue noticeably start over a year ago, since then I have had all 4 new tires put on, wheel bearings, recently both front axles which i thought could help but didnt. The hum starts softly at 30mph then gets louder with speed til about 65 on the highway then it's a constant pitch or tone that doesn't get any louder. Then its a loud road noise, not much if any vibration associated with it. My mechanic said it was hum coming from the upper differential which in this model is tied in with transmission. Sealed transmission at that so I changed the fluid, didn't help. Anyone experience this? Such an annoying noise, 180k on it now had it since 70k have taken great care of it. Is it a warning sign transmission is on its way? Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-22, 07:16 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

is it awd? did u change fluids on front, center and rear diff? and was it top up properly?
Old 08-15-22, 07:48 PM
Jmax3
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes is awd, the front differential shares fluid with sealed transmission that fluid was changed, I wasn't aware of a center diff and it having its own fluid? The rear differential fluid was not changed. I didn't know they had independent reservoirs. Drove it today now feeling a vibration with the hum. Even on deceleration in between 25-60 mph.
Old 08-15-22, 09:24 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

That's the first time I ever heard of differential sharing fluid with transmission. They are two separate units and both use different fluids to operate, WS fluid for transmission and 75W90 gear oil for differential. If someone put the same fluid in tranny and diff you're in trouble.
Might wanna find out exactly what went into your transmission and how much fluid was pumped in as this is critical in those vehicles.
Lots of info covered on the subject, use search window.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 09:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
That's the first time I ever heard of differential sharing fluid with transmission. They are two separate units and both use different fluids to operate, WS fluid for transmission and 75W90 gear oil for differential. If someone put the same fluid in tranny and diff you're in trouble.
Might wanna find out exactly what went into your transmission and how much fluid was pumped in as this is critical in those vehicles.
Lots of info covered on the subject, use search window.

It's the first time we've heard of it as it's incorrect information!
The front and rear diff's are hypoid gears that take GL-5 (GL-4?) gear oil. The transfer case takes ATF as does the transmission.

I'd suggest OP find a new a new mechanic and get all the fluids changed ASAP with synthetic.

Too bad all that money was spent.
Old 08-16-22, 11:00 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

I had this hum issue and turned out to be the tires. After replacing with another brand, the hum monster went away.

Edit: the tires were Michelin AS/3+ .... I replaced them with AS 4.
Old 08-16-22, 11:09 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I had this hum issue and turned out to be the tires. After replacing with another brand, the hum monster went away.

I bought used diff to keep the 350 RWD on the road while the original diff gets a dose of LSD.
The used diff sings under light load making a 'whirrrrrrrrrrrrr' sound at steady state cruise.
Light or hard acceleration, it's quiet. Minimal or maximum engine braking, it's quiet.

It had 93k on when pulled from the donor. It also runs about 60° hotter than mine before I pulled it (162°F vs 102).

I'm just saying, even a Lexus diff can go awry. Thankfully this is temporary use only.
Old 08-16-22, 11:23 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

I'd really lean into replacing the tires but that's me. I had the same process done (fluid changes for front/rear diff and transmission) , and also went to several Lexus shops and had them thoroughly check the wheel bearings - the last shop called it and told me it's my tires since they clearly checked all the possible parts that would cause it.
Old 08-16-22, 01:17 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I hear ya. As the tread gets low, many tires transmit more noise. I'm living it now. The whirrrrrrr came with the diff. No other changes were made.
No suspension was taken apart.

Old 08-17-22, 11:21 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

I think this 08IS350 is also having this hum issue but not sure if it's the diff or the f-sport-like exhaust that it came with. Sometimes I can't differentiate between a hum or a mild-drone. Hopefully it's the latter.

Are you having the LSD built by a third-party shop?
Old 08-17-22, 01:23 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I think this 08IS350 is also having this hum issue but not sure if it's the diff or the f-sport-like exhaust that it came with. Sometimes I can't differentiate between a hum or a mild-drone. Hopefully it's the latter.

Are you having the LSD built by a third-party shop?
No, I'll be doing it myself. Likely post it in my build thread with a write up. I've never done Yoda, but about 50 others. Only had one whine which was a used gear set to a different case. I bought off craigs list for drag strip use, and I'm guesting its prior life hosed it up.

Your saying your own rig makes noise?
Old 08-17-22, 01:31 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
No, I'll be doing it myself. Likely post it in my build thread with a write up. I've never done Yoda, but about 50 others. Only had one whine which was a used gear set to a different case. I bought off craigs list for drag strip use, and I'm guesting its prior life hosed it up.

Your saying your own rig makes noise?
Yes and I don't know if it's also coming from the diff or just the exhaust drone.
Old 08-17-22, 04:28 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Yes and I don't know if it's also coming from the diff or just the exhaust drone.
I've got the F-Sport axleback and intake. The sound is easily discernable at cruise, not in the drone power band of the exhaust. Adding to that, barely changing the load applied changes the noise. That's not to say the noise gets louder, more to say the noise from the boneyard diff is binary. Either there or not there based on load. Which is somewhat typical of gear mesh being off.

That said, straight cut gears like in a motorcycle transmission do get louder and louder as the load increases. Well, to a point.
Old 08-18-22, 08:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Here's the information on the front differential.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10282976

Also the information on the transfer case combined with the AWD transmission.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ase-fluid.html
Old 12-01-22, 07:48 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd really lean into replacing the tires but that's me. I had the same process done (fluid changes for front/rear diff and transmission) , and also went to several Lexus shops and had them thoroughly check the wheel bearings - the last shop called it and told me it's my tires since they clearly checked all the possible parts that would cause it.
Was your tires worn on the inside only and not even wear across the tire? My tires look good but are worn on the inside and I am experiencing a sound like the OP is describing. I went to Discount Tire and let the sales rep ride in my IS250 AWD and he too said it was the tires making the sound. I also changed diff fluid and installed a wheel bearing hub assembly and the sound is still there. But I did notice that when I played with rotating the tires the sound would change.

Quick Reply: 2008 is250 hum noise differential louder with speed