Windshield Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 10:32 AM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Dilemma

Hi guys,

This is my position right now, I am purchasing a used 2010 is250 from a lexus dealership. During the test drive and inspection of the vehicle i noticed a crack on the wind shield like a tiny water drop sized spider web. I informed the dealer and said that would have to be taken care of....

I went yesterday to check up on the car and they had replaced the windshield with an after market wind sheild which did not even have the shading where the windshield sits near the roof of the car plus the fitting didnt look clean and you could clearly see the rubber on the top was not cleanly fit.

I told him i wanted an original lexus wind shield cause this one just looks too bad and he said he would speak to the manager.

So i was wondering wether anyone has suggestions for the following questions.

1. Do the rain sensing wipers work properly if the windshiled is aftermarket?
2. Does the factory warranty get affected if the windsheild is replaced with a non-lexus windshield?
3. Should i stick to my decision and walk from the deal if he does not agree to change the windshield to an orginal one? How much does the original cost?
should i talk to him and decide to share the cost of replacing it with an original one?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-10, 10:49 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

stick with what you want. dont buy it if you dont feel confortable....
Old 03-22-10, 10:56 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

My windshield got broken along time ago. The insurance replaced it with a non lexus but quote "equivalent" glass.

Everything works ok. One thing that i notices months later is that the trim on the side was actually broken.. likely from when they replaced it..

But you should get what you want. Buying a car is something were you will kick yourself every time you look at it for not saying anything.. Plus if it just looks bad in you opinion, THATS ALL THAT COUNTS
Old 03-22-10, 10:26 PM
FnlPhazeIS
Driver School Candidate

i agree with getting what you want...ive owned a couple cars and got the winshields replaced with aftermarket ones....i noticed the aftermarket ones pitted easier and my seals looked hacked away...
Old 03-22-10, 11:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do not take the aftermarket windshield. your car just went down in value because they replaced the windshield with a non lexus one. theres no reason to pay the same price for that car if its value went down
Old 03-22-10, 11:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow an aftermarket windshield from the dealer? At the Lexus dealer I work at, we only use/offer OEM windshields. I was unaware others did that
Old 03-22-10, 11:39 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

just so you know, the real Lexus windshield costs significantly more than an aftermarket one. I had a crack on my windshield and my ins (State Farm) would only pay for the cheaper aftermarket replacement... cost was something like $230 for the aftermarket, and $1100 for the Lexus OEM windshield.

So I went with the aftermarket and it works fine with the rain sensing wipers etc. The only thing, I am not 100% sure but I feel like I hear more wind noise on the freeway now than with the original windshield. So yeah there's something to be said for getting the real deal, but now you know why they'd be so reluctant to pay that difference.
Old 03-23-10, 04:59 AM
LandonZ
Rookie

I was wondering the same thing. My original windshield has scratches from the wipers from previous owner. Ill be going in soon to get it replaced. I will try for a lexus windshield but who knows
Old 03-23-10, 05:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by zohakhan
I went yesterday to check up on the car and they had replaced the windshield with an after market wind sheild which did not even have the shading where the windshield sits near the roof of the car
My factory original does not have darker shading near the top. My wife's ES does, but not my F.

Lou
Old 03-23-10, 08:00 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thas crazy a dealer put an aftermarket windshield in... I wouldn't except it... I would only expect the best from the dealer... if it looks like poo then u won't be happy and probably end up payin ur own money to fix it down the road... its not ur fault they are cutting corners and gettin cheaper parts I don't think u should put any of ur money in...
Old 03-23-10, 08:51 AM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies everyone, so heres the update the lexus dealer says that is the windshield they use for all replacements and they cant do anything about it, They said they would fix the moldings and the rubber around the windshield so it looks cleaner but they cant put in an OEM windshield, even after i offered to pay 500$ for the windshield.

Now what sucks is I love the car i have always wanted an IS and getting a 2010 used for a good deal is a rare oppurtunity, My friends are telling me it should be ok since if the crack happened after i bought the car i would do the same thing and giving up a good deal for a windshield is not worth it......

Ugh I AM SO CONFUSED.....
Old 03-23-10, 09:05 AM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had mine replaced, my dealership [newport, ca] tried to tell me I didn't have rain sensors in my 2006 windshield, that I was "so lucky" cause I got a rare one that did have it. You would think I would know of all people what was on a car that I bought myself special order. Needless to say the stealership will try to use the cheapest parts or equivalent if they are paying for it. I even had to buy a little more insurance from my insurance company so THEY would pay for oem parts, once they found out the cost is ~1k for an oem lexus windshield.

That being said, really, just look at the car and ask yourself whether you like it the way it is. If there is ANY doubt, don't take it. You will drive yourself mad obsessing over it.

I guess it also depends on how "good" a deal you got. I mean if comparably you are talking about saving over $1k-$2k over the next used deal, then ya don't worry about it, it'll probably get another rock chip and it will all be of no consequence either way.

fyi
I didn't take less than what I wanted when I had mine replaced.

Question: do they [service AND sales] know you are thinking of returning the car? this may change their mind about the windshield if they do not know this.
I say be stern tell them you are seriously going to return the car if it's not replaced. The sales dept might pay for it, or at least they will fight with the service department to get it done so they don't lose the sale.

Last edited by cdeeznuts; 03-23-10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-21-10, 12:36 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mxis350
My windshield got broken along time ago. The insurance replaced it with a non lexus but quote "equivalent" glass.

Everything works ok. One thing that i notices months later is that the trim on the side was actually broken.. likely from when they replaced it..

But you should get what you want. Buying a car is something were you will kick yourself every time you look at it for not saying anything.. Plus if it just looks bad in you opinion, THATS ALL THAT COUNTS
This happened to me too. They broke the side trim. I wonder if this happens every time the windshield is replaced?
Old 08-23-10, 06:06 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

aftermarket ones are not as good as the real deal. mine has chipped more easily and is so much noiser from the wind. make them give you the real deal and check all the moldings. those need to all be new also.
Old 08-23-10, 08:15 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not happy now with it, and you might not be happy with it as you are driving down the road months from now.

If they are willing to risk a sale over the difference between the cost of an OEM vs non OEM then that is their loss.

Right now the economy is bad and it's tough to sell a car of this caliber. It doesn't hurt to tell them that you would really like to have OEM on a brand new car.

Quick Reply: Windshield Dilemma