IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 07:33 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
I believe you because u said 3 out of 1 get carbon build ups, more or less all will have these problem, i wanted IS350 but somehow end up with IS250, my brother said drive it for 2 years and get rid of it.
I would trade it in for IS350 or IS-F now. Two year from now it won't worth much.
Old 07-21-16, 05:12 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by azari
Leg3ndary,

I think the fact that your car's diagnosis for carbon build up came back negative is pretty promising for us 2010 and newer IS250 owners. A rough idle can be caused by a number of factors. So far I haven't seen any diagnosed cases of carbon build up with the 2010 (modified pistons) and newer cars; at least not yet! Mine is a 2011 with over 80k miles and runs great. Hopefully it'll stay that way!

Good luck to you, honestly. The pistons themselves aren't modified, only the piston rings. The rings reduce blowby into the crankcase. What was happening on the 2nd gen models is that carbon would blowby the piston rings and some of it would leak into the crankcase and build up way on the inside of the engine block. Toyota's fix to that was installing stronger piston rings that will last longer, but eventually they will give as well.

The issue still remains, this engine for some reason produces an excessive amount of carbon, which cakes onto intake/exhaust valves and fuel injectors themselves. My tailpipes themselves had carbon caked onto them (not a good sign, I couldn't even clean it off) and I am sure the oppressive heat we have in Houston doesn't help..
Old 07-22-16, 12:16 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Not like in the IS250 or other cars that use direct injection.

This agree with to an extent. It seems like whenever someone with an IS250 has any rough running issue, it's immediately assumed to be carbon build-up, when in fact there are many issues that can cause rough running. That's why diagnostics are important to verify the actual cause of the issue. The one nice thing about the IS250 is that it has almost no vacuum lines.

Thanks Jeff, so no other way to prevent it form building up ? so we have to bring to to dealer and clean once in awhile ?
Unfortunately none of those methods will help prevent carbon build up in a direct-injected engine. Fuel never touches the areas where the carbon build up occurs. That's the whole issue with the IS250 to begin with. Running fuel cleaner, better fuel, pushing the engine harder will all have little to no effect on how the carbon will build up on the valves.

That's definitely true, but some engine designs are more prone to excessive carbon build up. The IS250 is one of them, unfortunately.

Jeff
SO there is no other way to prevent it from building up Jeff ? we have to bring it to dealer or cleaning ? IS350 AWD is so rare in Toronto there is couple but the price is ridiculous expensive and it makes me rather go for 2014 model and right now i can't drive too new car i don't have parking, downtown Toronto is so ghetto i don't wanna park it on the street, dam carbon eh
Old 07-22-16, 12:22 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MWIS350
I would trade it in for IS350 or IS-F now. Two year from now it won't worth much.
Signed i just got the car for more than a year, took me long enough to convinced my wife, i have 2010 IS model though, man if i tell her i want a better Lexus IS i think he gonna kick me out lol My wife likes 2 doors Coupe like that BMW Series 4 that was she wanted, i had enough with 2 doors i want something like Lexus IS. thanks for the advice bro. Happy Wife Happy Life !
Old 07-22-16, 07:51 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Signed i just got the car for more than a year, took me long enough to convinced my wife, i have 2010 IS model though, man if i tell her i want a better Lexus IS i think he gonna kick me out lol My wife likes 2 doors Coupe like that BMW Series 4 that was she wanted, i had enough with 2 doors i want something like Lexus IS. thanks for the advice bro. Happy Wife Happy Life !
i also made mistake of buying IS250 but trade it in after a year.
Old 07-23-16, 03:39 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any type of trend as to approximate mileage when folks have had to go for the full engine rebuild? I have a 2008 with 52,000 miles on it and have had a few isolated incidents perhaps twice a year where the car will idle rough at a light for a few seconds and then return to normal. Never did get a check engine light so I don't think Lexus will do anything about it. My car will be nine years old in November thus it will no longer be covered after that. I was thinking I might sell it then but really would like to put off getting another car for another at least one year and don't really drive this one a lot anyway. I would hate for the warranty to end and have to pay for a $4000 repair on a car that will then still be worth about the same amount of money as before the repair.
Old 07-23-16, 04:43 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
Is there any type of trend as to approximate mileage when folks have had to go for the full engine rebuild? I have a 2008 with 52,000 miles on it and have had a few isolated incidents perhaps twice a year where the car will idle rough at a light for a few seconds and then return to normal. Never did get a check engine light so I don't think Lexus will do anything about it. My car will be nine years old in November thus it will no longer be covered after that. I was thinking I might sell it then but really would like to put off getting another car for another at least one year and don't really drive this one a lot anyway. I would hate for the warranty to end and have to pay for a $4000 repair on a car that will then still be worth about the same amount of money as before the repair.
I think you just need to have the head taken off to clean the valves, or even just from taking off the manifold and scraping and blasting. Neither should cost $4000
Old 07-24-16, 08:29 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I think you just need to have the head taken off to clean the valves, or even just from taking off the manifold and scraping and blasting. Neither should cost $4000
Oh, yes it will! Get a $1000 powertrain extended warranty if you keep the car (will take care of the cam gear rattle you're about to get, also).
Old 07-25-16, 01:44 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know (yet, anyway) if 2013 and newer IS250s (Gen 2 or 3) still have this problem? Last I recall 2012 had the most up to date piston ring design. Did that finally put this issue for rest for those model years and up?
Old 07-25-16, 02:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Any car with direct injection only (like the IS250, gen 2) will have this problem to a greater or lesser extent. The improvements they made to the piston/ring design will help but won't get rid of the issue. Lexus dropped the 4GR-FSE engine for 2016 so that pretty much says it all.
Old 07-25-16, 05:31 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

SO there is no other way to prevent it from building up Jeff ? we have to bring it to dealer or cleaning ? IS350 AWD is so rare in Toronto there is couple but the price is ridiculous expensive and it makes me rather go for 2014 model and right now i can't drive too new car i don't have parking, downtown Toronto is so ghetto i don't wanna park it on the street, dam carbon eh
Since he's not answering lemme state out that there are ways to prevent Carbon build up not 100% but does help a ton, here a video from CL forum on YOutube Video
, if you do a research on Youtube or Google you will see a lot of forum and post that tells you how to prevent carbon build up, if your car has already occurred then nothing it can help, Jeff Lange PM me and give me a warn and told me that my posts are not helpful, the reason i asked him about carbon build because i wanted to see how smart this guy is. Asking doesn't mean they don't know sometimes they wanna test you.

How you explain about my friend 2007 IS250 never done anything and still drive awesome ? never done carbon clean or dealer service, it's also a Savage title car ??? some people only drive car eh !

Last edited by RandyIS250; 07-25-16 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 09:56 AM
CassieB
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 2007 Engine Carbon Build-up

I encountered the problem this weekend. My VSC and check engine lamps illuminated and the car went into safe mode while traveling on a main highway. It scared me and I am glad I did not wreck. The dealership diagnosed it as engine misfire and possible carbon build up problem. I began a claim with Lexus today since I am about 5 months past the 9 year extended warranty. Has anyone had luck getting Lexus to offer goodwill and cover if a little past extended warranty period?
Old 08-08-16, 08:28 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CassieB
I encountered the problem this weekend. My VSC and check engine lamps illuminated and the car went into safe mode while traveling on a main highway. It scared me and I am glad I did not wreck. The dealership diagnosed it as engine misfire and possible carbon build up problem. I began a claim with Lexus today since I am about 5 months past the 9 year extended warranty. Has anyone had luck getting Lexus to offer goodwill and cover if a little past extended warranty period?
How many miles do you have? I'm approaching the 9 year mark on my car and trying to decide what to do. I already have the cam gear rattle (which oddly seems to have gone away by using marvel mystery oil which I never use anymore but decided to try on a whim). Do you use top tier fuel? I had a Camry that I sold with 267k miles on it. I only used top top tier fuel and Chevron Techron concentrate additive. I had the fuel injectors benched tested at 265k miles and three flowed 100% with the fourth at 98%. Good stuff. Probably won't help the valve buildup I guess.
Old 08-08-16, 12:53 PM
CassieB
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 Carbon Build up

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
How many miles do you have? I'm approaching the 9 year mark on my car and trying to decide what to do. I already have the cam gear rattle (which oddly seems to have gone away by using marvel mystery oil which I never use anymore but decided to try on a whim). Do you use top tier fuel? I had a Camry that I sold with 267k miles on it. I only used top top tier fuel and Chevron Techron concentrate additive. I had the fuel injectors benched tested at 265k miles and three flowed 100% with the fourth at 98%. Good stuff. Probably won't help the valve buildup I guess.
141,000 miles are on vehicle and I used only top tier fuels - no additives though.
Old 08-10-16, 05:31 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgarrido
Jeff ,Install an oil catch can is good?
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
To know for sure you'd have to have 2 of the exact same cars, ideally from new, one with the can one without and drive them identically (or close to it) in the same regions and then compare the carbon build-up to see if there is a difference.

That said, it certainly won't hurt, and it very well may help, so I don't think they're a bad idea at all.

and what does WOT mean ?
Jeff
i installed my catch can around may and havent felt it till today....and theres no oil in the can

Last edited by trippy; 08-10-16 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)