IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 08:41 AM
jetboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
I dont know if it will prevent it completely, but it seems it will at least slow down the build up tremendously, judging by the Oil Catch Can experiement thread.

I still need to install my Mishimoto can this week.

Not sure of validity of this statement? Lots have installed an OCC and from what I've gathered educationally from OCC's, it seems they will do a great job combating large buildups.
You were right. I was thinking EGR block not PCV catch can.

The PCV system can use a catch can. This shouldn't be an issue on a normal engine. I haven't followed this all that closely as I really don't care much. I won't own one past the warranty period. That said, I'm surprised by the amount of fluid the catch cans are catching. Something is wrong internally when there is that much volume going through the pcv system. On a properly operating engine the pcv should be passing a little bit of water vapor and not much else. The obvious indication is that there's a lot of blow by and a problem with piston rings as Lexus has identified.

There's going to be intake carbon build up by the fact that there's an EGR system whether the PCV is being fixed or not. How much is attributable to each one is an interesting question. You would expect the PCV to be so small as to be meaningless, but it appears this may not be the case.

Either way, running detergent containing fuel over the intake valves is a better solution as it takes care of all sources of carbon build up, and is very effective - as can be observed by the fact that very few if any people in cold weather climates have carbon issues.

Last edited by jetboy; 02-18-14 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 07:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
I have 76K miles on mine. I have ran Mobil 1 synthetic since I purchased the car new with 5k mile oil changes. I am occasionally getting misfires after coming off the freeway to a stop. Nothing bad yet. I have been using 3m fuel injection cleaning system every 25K miles and just installed a OCC. I honestly don't want an engine overhaul unless I absolutely need it. Unfortunately, I am also getting cam gear rattle on cold start ups... Not really sure what to do with the car. It is in near excellent condition. I was hoping to get 250K+ miles out of it.
for the fun of it, try the bg44k. I have had much better experience than any other cleaner out there.
Old 02-26-14, 07:15 PM
autox250
Driver

jetboy there is no EGR recirculation anymore, it's controlled by the exhaust VVTi gears. The actual carbon is oil vapors from excessive blow by. The service bulletin that adresses this concern has updated pistons and piston rings with more tension.
The catch can is the only way to extend the negative effect of the oil vapors, it can't be vented or you'll eventually set a system lean code.
As far as the original post, these things will run well into 200k, I've yet to see one of these come apart that has any wear on rod bearings or cylinder walls.

Last edited by autox250; 02-26-14 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-14, 01:12 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep seeing people say they use seafoam 12 in the crank case, another half in an intake tube. CAN SOMEONE POST A DIY!!
Old 02-27-14, 05:31 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Well if you all have seen my other post, I'm experiencing these issues myself.. did not know it was this issue until recently. Sounds like maybe I bought the wrong vehicle.... (smh).

Probs should have ponied up for the 350. At least the dealership replacing everything will solve the issue for another few years...
Old 02-27-14, 06:49 PM
ILL250
Driver

usually how long does the process take? my car has been at the dealership for 2 1/2 weeks now.
Old 02-28-14, 10:05 AM
autox250
Driver

The actual work on average takes 2-3 days, dealer might keep it overnight for another test drive. I avg about 2 1/2 days start to finish. If its being held for a while maybe its not misfiring at the moment and wout that you cant submit a claim to Lexus for approval
Old 03-18-14, 01:24 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fewslowcar
Like mentioned earlier in this thread the permanent solution would be ECU reprogramming to occasionally run the cold start injector to clean the carbon build up on the intake valves.

It seems like carbon build up is a non issue for folks with cold weather starts where that seventh cold start injector is turned on and sprays the fuel into the intake track and washes off the carbon build up.
LOL this is a very old post, but I believe I have a slightly stuck open cold start injector on my 06 3GS which like the IS250 is pure DI. I was just thinking as I ordered the new injector that I am going to keep the leaky one around to reinstall in the car for a while every couple of years to clean my valves. Stuck open a bit all the time, under pressure, it is constantly squirting a bit of fuel into the intake air and hopefully with the help of some PEA cleaning everything nicely.

The only downside to having a leaky cold start injector is fuel efficiency is not as good, and the air fuel sensors are constantly telling the ECU to trim the fuel because otherwise it runs too rich.
Old 03-25-14, 08:28 AM
autox250
Driver

The cold injector wouldn't work, it's way too high in the tank of the plenum. The only reason port injection is effective is bc the fuel spray is practically on top of the valve. The lower manifold w the butterfly valves would prevent the fuel to reach one of two valves in every cylinder. What little help it might provide it will be to 12 valves
Old 03-31-14, 07:11 AM
jetboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autox250
The cold injector wouldn't work, it's way too high in the tank of the plenum. The only reason port injection is effective is bc the fuel spray is practically on top of the valve. The lower manifold w the butterfly valves would prevent the fuel to reach one of two valves in every cylinder. What little help it might provide it will be to 12 valves

I don't know how that's possible. The intake valves sit together in the same head cavity and neither intake valve has a lifter disconnect like the Honda system. I don't recall any butterfly valve that would obstruct intake air flow over one intake valve on each cylinder. Can you explain?

It should flow over every intake valve. The intake valves are the only ones we care about. The exhaust valves aren't the problem. Fuel *with detergent* flowing over them is the easy cure. It doesn't matter where in the intake the fuel is delivered. If it did, carbureted engines would have all sorts of problems. They don't.

This also helps explain why the issue is limited to very few instances in cold weather areas.

Last edited by jetboy; 03-31-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 04:29 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did CSP 4000 miles ago.Symptoms just came back. Three times so far.Also,added oil twice.Firs time ever since I own the car.I have 125200 miles.
Old 04-01-14, 10:48 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

I just found an ethanol free gas station right near my house. Would this help in this case? I've read mixed reviews about it. Thanks.
Old 04-02-14, 04:34 PM
dmk720
Driver

Originally Posted by daileycon
I just found an ethanol free gas station right near my house. Would this help in this case? I've read mixed reviews about it. Thanks.
No.It is oil that leaks on pistons and bakes.It has nothing to do with gasoline.
Old 04-02-14, 04:44 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk720
No.It is oil that leaks on pistons and bakes.It has nothing to do with gasoline.
From what I've read that is not entirely true. The carbon is a result of blow back from PVC valve. This contains oil and combustion vapors. I have read that ethanol can increase the contamints that contribute to carbon buildup. So ethanol free gas may help, but only a little. If I could get ethanol free gas I would. Overall its just better for your engine.

Last edited by tomiv9; 04-02-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 04:24 PM
dmk720
Driver

Originally Posted by tomiv9
From what I've read that is not entirely true. The carbon is a result of blow back from PVC valve. This contains oil and combustion vapors. I have read that ethanol can increase the contamints that contribute to carbon buildup. So ethanol free gas may help, but only a little. If I could get ethanol free gas I would. Overall its just better for your engine.
Should we really worry about half a second misfire once in the while? I know the story about un-burned fuel that could damage the cat. but I have a hard time believing that.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)