IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 03:15 PM
Squeezer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceiscoo
I have a few questions.

1st: Has there been any early 2010 is250 with this carbon build up problem?

2nd: Has there been any 6 speed manuals with this problem?

3rd: concerning question 2. If so, how can you tell if you have the carbon issue?

I have a early model 2010 is250 manual with 45k

Thanks
I have an 08 IS250 6-speed manual with the problem...idle dipped until the engine almost stalled, then check VSC and check engine lights came on.
Old 01-27-14, 01:10 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 IS 250 that just hit 100k miles. I've read a lot about this carbon build up issue. So far I have no symptoms, car runs good with no issues. I've checked my service history and I see no reported fixes for the carbon issue. Thinking about using seafoam as a preventive maintenance.
But, should I? Knowing the fact that the CSP expires in 2015 for me.. wouldn't it be best to just let the problem happen so I can get the rebuild under warranty? Rather than risk the warranty expiring for something that is inevitable.

What would you guys do?
Old 01-27-14, 02:11 PM
toony15333
Pole Position

I heard that we could installed a oil catch can to prevent carbon build up issue?
Old 02-02-14, 01:36 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Squeezer
I have an 08 IS250 6-speed manual with the problem...idle dipped until the engine almost stalled, then check VSC and check engine lights came on.
Thank you for the reply

How many miles do you have on your car? Do you ever get on it (take it high rpm)?
What mileage did you starting having problems? How does the problem occur?
Old 02-03-14, 09:27 AM
jetboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toony15333
I heard that we could installed a oil catch can to prevent carbon build up issue?
Not an option. The EGR system is contained within the heads. There's no external EGR hose to put a catch can on. The best method of dealing with carbon build up is to run fuel with detergent over the intake valves once in a while.

If Lexus would just run the 7th injector every start up for 1-2 minutes it would solve the issue entirely. That's why my suggestion is to build a stand alone controller box out of an arduino and a few components that runs the 7th injector every start up. There are two ways I can think of easily to do this. First is to simply modify the temp sending signal for 60 seconds to make the car think it's cold - basically just interrupt the temp signal and pass through a lower temp reading, but write into the code a bypass so if the car is actually hot it won't overheat.

The second option is more complex and would involve interrupting all 6 normal injectors for a period at start up and shortening the duration (if you don't know how injectors work, duration of signal = fuel delivery volume), then add the 7th injector so the fuel use equals out. That's a better option, but more complex because of the injector timing and how fast the unit must operate to interrupt a portion of the injector time. Certainly easy enough to be viable option, but more complex than the first option. The benefit is that this method could run every start up and could run for multiple minutes without any risk of overheating or triggering some other fuel related condition like oxygen sensor adjustments.
Old 02-10-14, 10:42 AM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

Lexus just told me about this issue and said they would replace the engine (overhaul) brand new from the bottom up. it has 12 misfires on the first attempt at testing it. it had bad idles and staled sometimes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-motor.html
Old 02-10-14, 11:20 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in Canada, and I recently had my car in at my local Lexus dealer for a water pump replacement under factory powertrain warranty. I asked the service advisor if they could check for the carbon build-up TSB/CSP, and the rep looked at me like I was crazy. I explained what it was about, he took a look at his computer and said he couldn't find anything related to it. Seems easy enough to deal with in the US (in most cases), but does anyone have any experience north of the border??

I don't want to get turned away again.
Old 02-10-14, 12:06 PM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

Well my advisor was saying that lexus had mailed letters out to some people but I never received one.. I did find another post with a picture of said letter. The poster also has pictures of the error codes. In order for them to replace the engine there has to be more than 10 misfires when they test it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...G_0340edit.jpg
http://my.is/forums/f122/is250-carbo...ervice-447593/
Old 02-10-14, 12:53 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, but that still doesn't help me because it doesn't specify whether it applies to Canadian cars as well.

I suppose I'm going to have to email Lexus Canada directly.
Old 02-10-14, 03:59 PM
DeanIS
Rookie

My wife to me that her 2009 is showing signs of the classic carbon issues. Made an appoinent with local dealer for inspection next week. I will keep posted.
Old 02-10-14, 10:16 PM
ILL250
Driver

Brought in my car yesterday to Stevens Creek for the repair. SA told me it would take 2 weeks, but on paper it said 6 days. I also had them replace the waterpump and serpentine belt since the car is almost at 120k. I'm surprised that the waterpump has lasted this long without replacing.
Old 02-10-14, 10:25 PM
medic250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I had the issue shortly after purchase and the dealer had nothing for me but not anymore. Sea foam once a year 1/2 can in booster line, other 1/2 in crankcase before oil change, not to mention WOT once a day. 230k~ no such thing as a rough idle/sluggishness/stall or any of the aforementioned symptoms. Sea foam works wonders in our cars

Last edited by medic250; 02-10-14 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Big bird said so
Old 02-10-14, 11:24 PM
ICU2
Pole Position

Would using a Toyota injector cleaner (fuel add in) help prevent this from occurring?
Old 02-11-14, 05:20 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using bg44k once a year and synthetic oil changes ever since my engine stalled 3 years ago. Never after that. In fact the dealership could not even make it misfire or stall when I took it in 2months ago. I have 75k on the odo.
Old 02-11-14, 06:30 AM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

My car is still in the shop and the water pump was leaking a little which they are replacing for free however they did sell me on changing the spark plugs and the alternator bearings but they aren't charging labor since its already out.

I asked them if they did anything to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again and he said well this is the phase 1 process the engineers are still working on a phase 2 so they can correct the problem permanently. I mean its not really Lexus fault, its the gas makers and their damn ethanol. I will be trying to find gas stations with 0% ethanol from now on.. Also my wife doesn't drive and baby the car anymore so with my heavy foot im sure it wont be a problem for years to come, maybe ill have it traded on a newer model or a 350 by then.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)