IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 02:50 PM
kramerlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yes, they have to pull a code to do the piston replacement. It's a required step, they have to verify you're having the carbon build up symptoms and having a misfire code is part of it.
Ok good to know.
Old 08-14-12, 03:01 PM
Tcooper3
Driver School Candidate

Update: it is carbon build up, they are changing the pistons and valves. Has anyone had this done and is this a fix?
Old 08-14-12, 05:51 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcooper3
Update: it is carbon build up, they are changing the pistons and valves. Has anyone had this done and is this a fix?
Your engine will be removed and disassembled down to the crankshaft. Each piston head and its rings will be replaced. The engine is then reassembled and installed in the car. A leak check is then done followed by a test drive of more than 10 miles. I usually go about 40 myself. And if all goes well and no codes return, the car is returned to you. Is this a permanent fix? Only time will tell.
Old 08-15-12, 10:22 AM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jetboy
For those that have followed this entire thread, i've posted my belief as to what is the simple solution in these cars since they do have a 7th injector, and my belief that there is a correlation between carbon build up and average temperature - in colder weather the 7th injector runs and cleans the valves.

My original solution was a signal intercept that would run the 7th injector on start up for 30 seconds or possibly something like a turbo timer that would run the 7th injector before shutting down. It was complicated due to the requirement that you'd need to also intercept the signal to the cyl. injectors to shorten duration slightly so that it wouldn't have an error read by the o2 sensor.

i'm curious to know how many IS250 owners up in Canada are experiencing carbon build-up issues. In our local climate, i would say we are below freezing temps for at least 4-5 months a year, and in the deepest of winter months, where we reach temps of -35C, our cars take forever to reach operating temp.

If we do in fact have a 7th injector that does spray fuel at the valves, and people are using shell up here with all the cleansers etc., maybe our valves stay cleaner since half the year we are driving with that 7th injector running for quite a bit of time, whereas owners in the sun 350 days a year aren't as able to utilize that extra injector since the car doesn't have too long of a cold-start up.

is that reasonable thinking or am i just out to lunch? i'd definitely be interested to see...

for right now our IS250 is at 84k KM (54ishK miles) and i have had no instances of the dropped idle, rough idle, shaking etc.
Old 08-15-12, 10:54 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIS250
i'm curious to know how many IS250 owners up in Canada are experiencing carbon build-up issues. In our local climate, i would say we are below freezing temps for at least 4-5 months a year, and in the deepest of winter months, where we reach temps of -35C, our cars take forever to reach operating temp.

If we do in fact have a 7th injector that does spray fuel at the valves, and people are using shell up here with all the cleansers etc., maybe our valves stay cleaner since half the year we are driving with that 7th injector running for quite a bit of time, whereas owners in the sun 350 days a year aren't as able to utilize that extra injector since the car doesn't have too long of a cold-start up.

is that reasonable thinking or am i just out to lunch? i'd definitely be interested to see...

for right now our IS250 is at 84k KM (54ishK miles) and i have had no instances of the dropped idle, rough idle, shaking etc.
I don't think the IS250 has that 7th injector. Only the 350 has it, which is why only 250's have this carbon build-up problem.
Old 08-15-12, 11:04 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcooper3
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Your engine will be removed and disassembled down to the crankshaft. Each piston head and its rings will be replaced. The engine is then reassembled and installed in the car. A leak check is then done followed by a test drive of more than 10 miles. I usually go about 40 myself. And if all goes well and no codes return, the car is returned to you. Is this a permanent fix? Only time will tell.
Yes, I have had this done. No, it is not a fix, unfortunately. My dealership was able to see carbon build up just 1,000 miles after having the engine work done. Got it taken care of, but Lexus corporate has denied my car have any further repairs done to correct the situation. My SA is hoping that means a better fix, or better yet, a recall, in the near future that they might be working on. Going to get everything checked out again at my next service hopefully. Been driving the car harder too so let's see how the carbon build up is.
Old 08-15-12, 04:28 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Toronto and have had the rough idle issue for a while. Doesn't happen all the time though. Back in June I even had the check engine, vsc, etc. lights issue and the care barely limped through the intersection. Once through I parked and turned the car off and back on a few minutes later. No lights and car drove normally. No reoccurance of that but still have the occasional rough idle issue.

Finally took the car in today (Been working out of town and this was the first opportunity). Anyway dealer called and said they could find no codes or anything else wrong. They are keeping the car overnight and will test it again tomorrow. I'm not optimisitc, or happy. Only have 2 months remaining on the extended warranty. If this happens and they finally find an issue would they repair even if out of warranty? Anyone one up here pay for a top engine clean and if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks
Old 08-15-12, 07:58 PM
meis250
Driver

Hey @totalstu, i also have an AWD 07 and i took it in for rough idle and was told that there are no error codes coming up. Lexus Oakville was the dealer. I'm planning to take it back then talk to Lexus Canada.
Is yours having an intermittent issue at idle? Mine is just rough idle with the vibration felt in the steering column and seat, it does it all the time though... Good luck
Old 08-16-12, 04:46 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meis250
Hey @totalstu, i also have an AWD 07 and i took it in for rough idle and was told that there are no error codes coming up. Lexus Oakville was the dealer. I'm planning to take it back then talk to Lexus Canada.
Is yours having an intermittent issue at idle? Mine is just rough idle with the vibration felt in the steering column and seat, it does it all the time though... Good luck
Mine is intermittent. The rpm's drop below 500 and the car shakes. As I a said, I had the check engine light thing happen once but they say they see no error codes. Hopefully they'll find something this morning.

Good luck with yours. Keep us informed.

Last edited by totalstu; 08-16-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 05:15 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by totalstu
I'm in Toronto and have had the rough idle issue for a while. Doesn't happen all the time though. Back in June I even had the check engine, vsc, etc. lights issue and the care barely limped through the intersection. Once through I parked and turned the car off and back on a few minutes later. No lights and car drove normally. No reoccurance of that but still have the occasional rough idle issue.

Finally took the car in today (Been working out of town and this was the first opportunity). Anyway dealer called and said they could find no codes or anything else wrong. They are keeping the car overnight and will test it again tomorrow. I'm not optimisitc, or happy. Only have 2 months remaining on the extended warranty. If this happens and they finally find an issue would they repair even if out of warranty? Anyone one up here pay for a top engine clean and if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks
Force an error code, just disconnect one of the ignition coils while on idle and then reconnect. This will throw a misfire code and turn the CEL on. When the dealer tests, everything will check out yet they have a misfire code, hence it must carbon build up.
Old 08-16-12, 05:50 AM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Force an error code, just disconnect one of the ignition coils while on idle and then reconnect. This will throw a misfire code and turn the CEL on. When the dealer tests, everything will check out yet they have a misfire code, hence it must carbon build up.
It is very obvious when a coil is disconnected - codes specific to the coil are thrown that aren't when it's carbon.
Old 08-16-12, 04:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81

They will just tell you something is wrong your ignition coil and write you up a service bill for that. It's not the same.
Old 08-16-12, 04:59 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Got the car back. Dealer could not find anything wrong. Told me to monitor it and right down details, like engine temps, weather conditions, etc when it rough idles. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will check engine thingy again. Anyone up here ever do the top engine clean out of pocket and if so, how much did it cost?

BTW, I'm not doing the ignition coil trick, whether it may work or not , as i'm not skilled enough to attempt.

PS after 1.5 days in an ES350 i'm glad to have my is250 back.
Old 08-16-12, 05:52 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just drive for few miles in 3rd gear hitting 6k. Then come to a stop real fast. That should do it.
Old 08-19-12, 08:27 AM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

well yesterday i think i got my first taste of this. my fiance was driving when all of a sudden she says whats wrong with the car? we weren't at a light or anything, we were just driving along a normal road after exiting a freeway, but no stop. it started to shudder a bit, and she said it felt like we were running out of gas or about to stall, power cutting in/out.

The check VSC came up on the display, traction control light was on, and the CEL was flashing. we limped up to the next light and shut the car off and turned it back on and of course everything back to normal. We'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow as soon as they open to see whats up.

I want to like this car so much but these things definitely scare me especially with us having bought this used. We are still under powertrain warranty until middle of next year, so hopefully we can enjoy this car the way its supposed to be!

here is what our cluster area looked like...

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)