IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Price for a new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-09, 12:56 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Price for a new paint job

I know this is for lexus only but i need some opinion.I went to Mob Works Autobody in city of Orange in SoCal and i got a quote for a new paint job for my project car integra. They will paint the engine bay, exterior, door jam and remove all the dings for 7,000 flat paint they are using is dupont paint. So is that price decent price? thanks[/B]
Old 11-13-09, 01:05 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... Will they clear the engine bay (remove the engine etc...) spray it then put everything back on?

When I read the tite of your thread, I was already thinking a decent paint job (just exterior) is at least above $1K and a good one would go from $3K+. Again just for the exterior. It'll definitely be a lot more work to remove the trims, door jams, weather strips, windows (maybe) and specially clearing the engine prior to shooting it unless they have a special technique. I couldn't think of a way how they would paint the engine bay good without clearing it to bare chassis only.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 11-13-09, 01:38 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

well i know a paint job for honda civic at my near by body shop that works with lexus would cost 6k. so, if you are painting an integra at a body shop, i would say 7k is a little too high. but since they are doing more than just painting your exterior... then i don't know..
Old 11-13-09, 01:58 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by masagsxr
wow... Will they clear the engine bay (remove the engine etc...) spray it then put everything back on?

When I read the tite of your thread, I was already thinking a decent paint job (just exterior) is at least above $1K and a good one would go from $3K+. Again just for the exterior. It'll definitely be a lot more work to remove the trims, door jams, weather strips, windows (maybe) and specially clearing the engine prior to shooting it unless they have a special technique. I couldn't think of a way how they would paint the engine bay good without clearing it to bare chassis only.

Anyway, good luck.
Im taking everthing out in the engine bay and only spraying engine bay and exterior and door jams they are not taking any windows out and nothing in interior will be painted exept the door jams. Getting the engine bay painted cause im putting a diff motor in.
Old 11-13-09, 07:19 AM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

honda-tech.com
go there
Old 11-14-09, 12:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
Im taking everthing out in the engine bay and only spraying engine bay and exterior and door jams they are not taking any windows out and nothing in interior will be painted exept the door jams. Getting the engine bay painted cause im putting a diff motor in.
Well, it depends on the quality of the paint job and the prep. A cheap paint job can be had at Earl Scheib for $300. A custom paint job on a Ferrari will cost you $20,000. How good can you afford?

The key is to get references and look at their work on plenty of cars they have in their shop.
Old 11-14-09, 12:20 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well MOB is known for a long time. I think 7k is too much on integra. But if you decide to keep for a long time and have money I would say go for it. If is your daily driver and not planning to keep for a long time then I would say no. Keep searching.
Old 11-14-09, 10:44 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Dupont paint is expensive about 800 a gallon they are raping you especially if you take everything out of the car and give them a shell (which honestly isn't hard to do) if I were in your shoes I'd rather get the car vynaled and have another 4000 to put towards the car I've been quoted 3000-4000 for a flat black on my IS with dupont paint
Old 11-15-09, 08:26 AM
moses0324
Driver

6-8k for a quality paint job sounds about right...i had my old jeep cherokee re painted for 7500...this included door jams and the engine bay.
Old 06-25-15, 08:15 PM
cardalet
Driver School Candidate

I was quoted and estimated paint job for 8.500 dollars for a 1999 RX 300 Lexus in which is to high of a price for the model of the car.
Old 06-25-15, 08:52 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
6-8k for a quality paint job sounds about right...i had my old jeep cherokee re painted for 7500...this included door jams and the engine bay.
Too me thats too much dough. I can get my lowrider candied for that price and slap some ghost patterns with it. Keep looking! Take time into searching for a well known painter, shop, as well as pricing. If youre doing a lot of the work it shouldnt cost that much. Hell get the belly done and throw it on a rotisserie.
Old 06-27-15, 02:44 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about the quality of work and how much time they spend on your car. If it's a high volume shop they will paint over just about anything you bring in. Dirt, dust, bugs ect gets a fresh coat of cheap paint sprayed over it.

A reputable shop will use high quality paints and spend the time to make sure the job is done right.

See how they prep between paint coats & how many coats of paint they are going to use. What type of base coat do they use? How many coats of color & clear do they apply?

Have you seen their work? Do you know what to look for? What type of paint job are you looking for? Cheap to get rid of the car? Quality show car paint job? We can't judge the price over the internet because we don't know the shop doing the work & what you are looking for.

Prices range from $250 for a dirt cheap paint job up to $25,000 for a show quality high dollar paint job with a bunch of bodywork. $6,000-$8,000 seems to be the ballpark for good work on a vehicle. You just have to watch out because that's a whole lot of money & you need to make sure you're getting what you pay for. Have you spoken to a professional detailer yet? I'm not talking about the immigrant with a spray bottle & a vacuum who will wash your car in 20 minutes, but rather a highly skilled detailer that can correct paint.
Old 06-27-15, 09:24 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

To paint 75% of the car without the jams etc.when my car got keyed was about 6k. I think 7k is a real deal.
Old 06-29-15, 11:15 AM
6sick6
Pole Position

Im a painter at a shop in AZ. The quote sounds very reasonable if its quality work and paint. Usually the cost of materials is about 25-35% of the job and the rest is just labor. The high end Spies materials to spray the whole outside of my car with semi gloss clear coat cost me $1800 alone.
Old 05-12-22, 03:59 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus paint in SoCal

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
I know this is for lexus only but i need some opinion.I went to Mob Works Autobody in city of Orange in SoCal and i got a quote for a new paint job for my project car integra. They will paint the engine bay, exterior, door jam and remove all the dings for 7,000 flat paint they are using is dupont paint. So is that price decent price? thanks
us Paint cos
The Quote received for an IS repaint of $7,000 is extremely high !! Recommend getting another Quote for less expensive paint Shop EE
Good Luck,
EJ Dossary, EE

Quick Reply: Price for a new paint job