IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bubbling/Corrosion on front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 09:36 AM
cmkworm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left a message with the service manager. Should I go ahead and call corporate as well?
Old 04-19-11, 10:54 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

I have the same issue too, and I am still debating on how to handle this situation. It is just funny that Toyota/Lexus market their product for its "quality". I guess their definition of quality is "reliability". Even with this business strategy is shaky at times.
Old 04-19-11, 10:59 AM
99slvr35th
Rookie

Waitnig for the rep to call back with an appt so I can bring the car in and she can input it in the system so corporate can see it and figure out something. I'll honestly be totally amazed if they do anything at all but I'm going to try.
Old 04-19-11, 12:30 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Veritas....My car was out of the standard warranty as I have about 60k on my car and they replaced the other 2 wheels for me yesterday. Also, I was denied last summer because the svc mgr said there was some "prior damage" = minor road rash (very minor)...yet the bubbling was happening close to the inside of the rim which couldn't possibly happen from hitting a curb. When I was denied (after they replaced 2 already) I walked away calmly and drove all winter long. After the snow melted, I realized the new ones were fine yet the old ones were worse. I drove back and asked very nicely for them to inspect again. The original svg mgr that denied me had the head of the svc dept take a look. He checked it out and after about 10 seconds he emphatically said of course we will replace these after he saw the bubbling and peeling. He made it seem as if he didn't understand why the original mgr didn't swap them for me when I was in last summer. I didn't have to call corporate or anything. Lexus of Wayzata did the right thing and corrected the defect. My only question is why in the world would Lexus paint alloy wheels....I mean really... painted wheels?!?!?!
Old 04-19-11, 03:18 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

Hey 99slvr I see you're on long island. What dealer did you go to in order to get this taken care of? Mines starting now and I want to get on doing it before my warranty runs out. I take excellent care of my wheels no acid no brake dust build up nothing. Let me know, Thanks
Old 04-19-11, 06:57 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Just noticed my fronts are bubbling around the center caps today. I'll probably stop by the service dept here locally some time to see what (if anything) can be done. No remaining factory...'06 with 31k miles.
Old 04-19-11, 09:57 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

wow, never heard of that but good to know that the problem exist.
Old 04-19-11, 11:45 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem with my 17" OEM rims with 06 IS. Also with the front ones only.

The car came with 18" and they are okay. The 17" rims were actually Post Port option (PPO) of 06 GS and they were imported from Sewell.

Since the 17" rims have been being used only in the winter and the 18" have been being used in summer, my original thought was I didn't wash my car during one particular winter which caused the problem.

My tire shop said it is not due to salt but it is the contamination problem during the making of the rims.

Now seeing I am not the only one and what the tire shop said starts to make sense.

It is a good timing to see this post as I am about to bring the 17" to my dealership for refinishing. The problem started a year ago and it is getting pretty worse now. I can see rust has started to develop in some of the spokes of the front wheels.

I will try to see if my Canadian dealership can replace them out of warranty but my hope is low as they were not bought with the car and they were imported from another US dealership..
Old 04-20-11, 10:08 AM
Mysta
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My chrome version of the 18(07)'s are doing that around the lugs, i'm afraid it will spread out. I'm still under warranty, do you think they will replace them?
Old 04-20-11, 10:18 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mysta
My chrome version of the 18(07)'s are doing that around the lugs, i'm afraid it will spread out. I'm still under warranty, do you think they will replace them?
hard to say... some dealership will refinish it and some will give you refurbished ones. I highly doubt that Lexus will give out new rim even they say it is new. You should definitely address this problem to your SA in order to determine what Lexus can do for u under standard corrosion warranty.
Old 04-20-11, 10:25 AM
Mysta
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cloo7
hard to say... some dealership will refinish it and some will give you refurbished ones. I highly doubt that Lexus will give out new rim even they say it is new. You should definitely address this problem to your SA in order to determine what Lexus can do for u under standard corrosion warranty.
Hm, I assume they'd have to order refurbished ones. Noone around here has these rims, everyone has the stock ones for whatever gen or the f-sports if they have the f-sport edition.. As I posted in another thread I may see if they could do the 19 sports instead since they are cheaper. But probably not since it'd require different tires. I have to say I love the full face forged f-sport 19's on SFP.
Old 04-20-11, 05:27 PM
99slvr35th
Rookie

took the car to the dealer today, the manager looked at it and said ill contact corporate and thy'll be in touch. 10 minutes later i get a call, he said we spoke to corporate and we're gonna replace your wheels bring the car in I'm honestly amazed! i own a bmw and have for majority of my cars and I never would get this from them! the IS is the wifes car, lexus gets a big

Last edited by 99slvr35th; 04-20-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 05:35 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99slvr35th
took the car to the dealer today, the manager looked at it and said ill contact corporate and thy'll be in touch. 10 minutes later i get a call, he said we spoke to corporate and we're gonna replace your wheels bring the car in I'm honestly amazed! i own a bmw and have for majority of my cars and I never would get this from them! s is the wifes, lexus gets a big
Wow! What year is your car and how many miles do you have?
Old 04-20-11, 05:56 PM
99slvr35th
Rookie

Its an 06' 42k miles, dealer maintained (not sure if that matters).
Old 04-20-11, 06:02 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

Slvr what dealer on long island did you go to?