IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs Acura TL

Old 11-03-09, 04:10 PM
Lexi D
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered about the S-Type TL. Not a big fan of them in general. But as mentioned before looks goes to Lexus hands down. If/when you take on your friend let CL know how things went.
Old 11-04-09, 05:08 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I SMOKED an acura TL from a stop once even though he letf early. Im talking about EASY. he was stock and I only had the Fsport intake. Im sure the Type S would do better but the IS should still win.
Old 11-04-09, 06:25 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

I had Acura RDX so I had chances to drive both 07 TL and TL-S.
Those are good cars. It does go fast once vtec kicks in and its got good high end power.
but If you try to go fast in 260+ hp FWD, all you get is wheel spin. TL-S with 287hp? haha more wheel spin.

anywayz IS350 has more lower and mid and higher end power. you just can't lose unless you just want to give him a win
Old 11-04-09, 06:36 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awww i have always thought acura Tl has a 400 hp model! haha silly me..!

my friend once told me " Acura cars are not worth buying, the price you have pay for it doesn't match the product you get, they just look cheap!!!! i prefer lexus much better".
Old 11-04-09, 07:34 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ a valid opinion, but you'd be surprised how many people still buy acura's.

considering that you can get a TL in AWD and six-speed manual for those who need/want that, it's certainly got two options that the 2is can't match. if you compare spec-for-spec (standard and options), the TL is a very high tech car - definitely not for the tech-UNsavvy.

however, the exterior styling leaves a lot to be desired for (unless you like the "beak" styling in the front and rear). that, and the interior is reminiscent of GM offerings from the 90's.
Old 11-04-09, 07:36 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by projectdna
that, and the interior is reminiscent of GM offerings from the 90's.
That's extremely far-fetched.
Old 11-04-09, 07:57 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

i should specify that the interiors from GM offerings from the 90s were quite cluttered - especially the dash and center console: they had a ridiculously inordinate ratio of buttons/switches to functions.

current higher-end luxury offerings are getting up there in button count, but they have a much lower ratio of buttons/switches to functions.

oh, and that's not to mention that the non-awd variant of the TL bore a similar styling to the pontiac bonneville at one point in its design iteration...

Last edited by projectdna; 11-04-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 08:03 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

On that end, I agree with you.
Old 11-05-09, 07:45 AM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Looked at the TL but it just really didn't stack up to the IS. The Acura cars are just to much Accord for me - not really distinct at all.
Old 11-05-09, 03:06 PM
VF84
Pole Position

the old 2007 tl-s looks classic and handsome if u put it next to the new tl. but it's no match for IS350 on a straight line. i test drove a 2006 tl-s b4 we settled on the cheaper tsx. the tl certainly doesn't have that kick or urgency down low as it goes thru the revs compared to the is350. and the vtech in the v6 doesn't impress as much as the vtech in the i4. felt kinda lazy in fact. maybe it was just that one tl.

Originally Posted by someboy
my friend once told me " Acura cars are not worth buying, the price you have pay for it doesn't match the product you get, they just look cheap!!!! i prefer lexus much better".
Originally Posted by projectdna
^ a valid opinion, but you'd be surprised how many people still buy acura's.
what's wrong with acura? everything is standard except navigation and transmission. and their transmissions are better than what lexus offers. it has some of the highest safety ratings. and both the tsx and tl offer more interior and trunk space than the 2is. u could also say that just like the interior of the tsx is grabbed from an accord coupe, lexus was offering camry parts on their es models for a very long time. is that worth the extra money?
Old 11-05-09, 03:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VF84
the old 2007 tl-s looks classic and handsome if u put it next to the new tl. but it's no match for IS350 on a straight line. i test drove a 2006 tl-s b4 we settled on the cheaper tsx. the tl certainly doesn't have that kick or urgency down low as it goes thru the revs compared to the is350. and the vtech in the v6 doesn't impress as much as the vtech in the i4. felt kinda lazy in fact. maybe it was just that one tl.

what's wrong with acura? everything is standard except navigation and transmission. and their transmissions are better than what lexus offers. it has some of the highest safety ratings. and both the tsx and tl offer more interior and trunk space than the 2is. u could also say that just like the interior of the tsx is grabbed from an accord coupe, lexus was offering camry parts on their es models for a very long time. is that worth the extra money?
acura has done many things right as a luxury japanese brand, especially porting over the same ownership experience and reliability from its parent brand (good fuel economy too). unfortunately, the excitement of driving experience never made it past the type-r series, the s2000, and the nsx. imo this absence is glaringly present in the TL.

while the TL is a much bigger and more spacious car, remember that it was fwd, and thus no transfer/rear axles and rear differential to take up space in the back. sure, it was roomier, but then there's the inherent issue w/ fwd: torque steer. until acura began to offer sh-awd in the new TL's, that was its achilles' heel. even a limited slip differential couldn't fix the torque steer. there was just no way it could imitate the type of handling offered by the rwd variants of the is/2is or the g35/37.

so even though they've finally addressed the torque steer issue w/ sh-awd, another issue has manifested itself: the current exterior styling of the TL is - and apologies if this offends, but this is imo - appalling. at one point in its design iteration it was actually attractive, but it's gone completely southbound with this generation. all its high-tech functions, roominess, and safety ratings can't save it from its exterior styling.

while acura has done an admirable job competing in this segment against the 2is and the g37, there are other issues it needs to address before the TL can even convert 2is or G35/37 owners.
Old 11-05-09, 03:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in short the '07 TL-S guy was blowing smoke.
Old 11-05-09, 05:22 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuprCilver
i can beat your is350 with my FWD lawnmower honda. dang you club lexus folks hate on hondas all day!!
there's a difference between fair criticism and hate. the former comes from objective observation; the latter comes from fanboyism.

coming from someone who can't distinguish the two, i guess it's "hate" to you.
Old 11-05-09, 05:41 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

honda/acura's 4cyl vtec is so much better than v-6 engines.....
....btw if you want vtec kick-in (above 4500rpm)on v-6 engine, it drinks gas like when you floored v-8 engines....
Old 11-05-09, 06:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

what's wrong with acura? everything is standard except navigation and transmission.
Well, some folks might prefer a bit more choice in which options they get...

and their transmissions are better than what lexus offers.
No they aren't... they don't even drive the correct pair of wheels!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS 350 vs Acura TL