IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What happens if I dont change my oil filter...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 11:48 AM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Use a clear vinyl tube, go down the dipstick hole, and suck out the excess. Pulling the drain plug will not be the easy way at all. If you have a vacuum source, you can suck out the oil, if you don't, go to a Feed Store or Veterinary supply and get an irrigation syringe - they hold 60cc - and use it with the clear tubing to suck out the excess.

Too much oil means your crankshaft is hitting the surface of the oil in the sump and turning it into mousse. Mousse is very bad for rod bearings because its more air than oil. You really need to get the excess out.
Just did this. Worked out great and I only used a total garbage $3 hand pump/hose from Autozone.

What I find odd is HOW MUCH extra oil I had in there. It really makes no sense...
I opened the drain plug with the car on stands, front end up. I lowered it to ground level... all the oil that could come out did. Same goes for the filter.

Then I only add 6.2 Qts of oil and I'm literally 1.5 inches above the dot on my dipstick. When sucking the oil out I stopped three times thinking "OK, this had to be more then enough"... but still too much. Any yes, I waited for the oil to drain from the stick tube.

How much oil is supposed to stay in the car?
Old 01-17-10, 03:20 PM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Can anyone shed light here? I'm left wondering wtf.

Oil drain and filter drain... level surface, adequately drained. Refilled with only 6.2 Quarts and so far I've sucked a full 1 quart out of the car and it's still above FULL on the dipstick. The level is basically still at the twisted point of the stick after sucking out 1 quart. How????????????

Also, the oil coming out is black as death... it has ZERO miles on it. The car's only ran - parked at idle for maybe 5 mins. I'm siphoning this out of the dipstick tube.

What the hell did I do? Drain my ATM fluid, lol ?
Old 01-17-10, 08:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

How much came out when you drained it?
Old 01-17-10, 10:36 PM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How much came out when you drained it?
Unfortunately I can't accurately gauge this since while I did put it back into the 5qt Mobile 1 bottles... I had just changed the oil on my SC300 before the IS350.

I poured the dead IS oil into the same container as the old SC oil.. so no way to measure.

I hate to have to waste $40 in new oil, but I think I will just full re-drain all of the new oil I put in there tomorrow. Measure exactly how much comes out... then refill accordingly.

I'm also wondering if my dipstick/tube is messed up. Even if all the OE oil didn't drain, with my siphoning I'm looking at having fully Plug/Filter drained the car, put 5 QTs of oil back in and still showing well above a full dipstick.

Somewhat inexplicable IMO.
What a pain this turned out to be, lol.
Old 01-18-10, 10:05 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Lol I did my first oil change @ 10k and I went crazy after I couldn't find a wrench that couldn't fit so I just changed the oil without changing the filter. I'm at 12 now. I think ill just get it done at Lexus and do it myself the next time.
FAIL! Should have called me Peter, I have the slightly larger one, think its a 65mm or some ish. I test fitted it from under the hood when I removed the panels and it fit, not super snug but it fit. Next time I'm going to do it myself, too much of a hassle in having to take my lip off, wheels and raise the car back up.
Old 01-18-10, 11:21 AM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Question

OK, so my final update (hopefully!).

As background, I recently changed my oil.
During the first time I drained my car I had the front jacked, each side jacked, then lowered and level on the ground. I left the plug and filter open and draining for 45 mins. It all should have came out.

So with the car drained via the pan plug as well as the filter. I then added only 6.2 QTs of oil and found my dipstick to be reading about 300% too much oil... inches above the full mark.
Not only was my oil waaay to full, it was black as night and had ZERO miles on it...
I also was sure that I didn't accidentally overfill it the first time since I old had 7 total Qts or oil to work with.

So this morning I decided to just bite the bullet and fully drain the car again... This time I get a whopping 8.5 qts of oil out... Mostly black.

HOW? No idea....

After closing everything up and refilling for the second time... all is well. Normal oil levels, clear on the dipstick etc.
I suppose something was clogging my oil from fully draining the first time I tried it...? I didn't do a single thing differently this time though.

Strange strange stuff indeed. But at least I can drive now!
4 day oil change... FML
Old 04-02-10, 07:51 PM
06IS2KR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ennjay
if the IS350 oil fiter housing is the same as the IS250, I use a long ratchet extention and put one end to lip on the housing cover that rotates and bang the other end with a mallet to break it loose.

Once I see it rotate, I take huge adjustable pliers and unscrew. No need for any fancy proprietary tools. Just a waste of $ if you ask me.

To tighten just repeat the process backwards. Simple.
Thanks to you!

I just did my first oil change (AWD IS250) and used the hammer and ratchet extension method perfectly. There's two thick tabs on the side of the housing that is perfect for a hammering surface. When the cover was loosened, I just used a regular filter plier wrench or you can use your hands. Don't bother buying the stupid SST or equivalent tool!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-02-10 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 09:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah, the age old dilemma... use the correct tool, or use a larger hammer...
Old 04-02-10, 10:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Ah, the age old dilemma... use the horribly expensive correct tool, or use a larger hammer...
Corrected for truth.
Old 05-27-10, 08:38 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Gents .... it's a LEXUS. I've been driving for over 40 years and I just don't want to have to purchase the oil, filter, and wrench, crawl under the car to drain the oil and remove the filter, fill the crankcase with the new oil, bottle up the used oil, and take it to a recycling station. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT on 60's and 70's era Detroit iron.

I make an appointment with my Lexus dealer for an early morning appointment, drive down to the Lexus dealer and watch TV, read the WSJ and have a muffin and juice while they change the filter and oil. Then I'll pay the $50 charge with points that I've earned on my Lexus Visa card. Cost to me.....ZERO. For those that like fooling around on their cars go ahead and do it yourself. But I'm past that. I DON"T DO OIL!!!
I'm with you on this.

Plus, it makes it a whole lot easier to get them to fix any rattles or other minor issues when you're a regular customer.
Old 05-27-10, 11:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Toyota Dealerships sell the lower end / non brand name tool for $7-$10....

Same exact tool works on the Lexus'

Joe Z
Old 05-27-10, 06:27 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

with amsoil cant you go an entire year on a single oil change? i thought i read that somewhere.
Old 05-27-10, 08:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholasg
with amsoil cant you go an entire year on a single oil change? i thought i read that somewhere.
Up to 25k miles anyway (or 35k if you buy the really expensive amsoil)
Old 05-28-10, 01:57 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

l
Originally Posted by Evitzee
Gents .... it's a LEXUS. I've been driving for over 40 years and I just don't want to have to purchase the oil, filter, and wrench, crawl under the car to drain the oil and remove the filter, fill the crankcase with the new oil, bottle up the used oil, and take it to a recycling station. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT on 60's and 70's era Detroit iron.

I make an appointment with my Lexus dealer for an early morning appointment, drive down to the Lexus dealer and watch TV, read the WSJ and have a muffin and juice while they change the filter and oil. Then I'll pay the $50 charge with points that I've earned on my Lexus Visa card. Cost to me.....ZERO. For those that like fooling around on their cars go ahead and do it yourself. But I'm past that. I DON"T DO OIL!!!

i use to think since its the dealer they would know what they are doing especially something as simple as this. but there has been several ocassions when i check the dipstick, its above the top line after a dealer oil change. then when i did my first oil change i had just a little over 7qts come out! now my head is spinning from thinking those past times when the dealer over filled and what long term effects it will have on the motor. With that discovery I don't think the free muffin and juice is worth it.
Old 05-31-10, 10:40 PM
sleeper001
Driver School Candidate

question guys, i changed my oil about two weeks ago now....i started up the car yesterday and the maint. oil change oil came on due i can to reset the maint. light? If yes how do i do that? thanks

Quick Reply: What happens if I dont change my oil filter...