IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRB
Consumer Reports latest report has Lexus quite a ways down from that position actually. Let me check....yeah, right under Mitsubishi!
Yep, still near top of heap. I tend to use the individual model reliability charts the most, instead of generalizatons about entire brands.

And as noted, Lexus is not perfect even being at the top of the heap.
Old 09-29-11, 06:53 PM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

Sorry ... but anyone who says this should not be covered by the dealer on a vehicle that has exhausted its warranty period, is an idiot. 1)They placed a drain tube in a not easily accessible place , 2)They placed a plastic grommet w/ a thin slice for an opening, just asking for trouble. Good business would be to fix it !!! Plain, and simple. Anyone who says that half price is ok, or its not Lexus' responsibility must be working for them , or something similar..........

Last edited by SMigone; 09-29-11 at 06:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-29-11, 07:22 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SMigone
Sorry ... but anyone who says this should not be covered by the dealer on a vehicle that has exhausted its warranty period, is an idiot. 1)They placed a drain tube in a not easily accessible place , 2)They placed a plastic grommet w/ a thin slice for an opening, just asking for trouble. Good business would be to fix it !!! Plain, and simple. Anyone who says that half price is ok, or its not Lexus' responsibility must be working for them , or something similar..........
Definitely worth bumping a 2 year old thread for!
Old 09-29-11, 07:34 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMigone
I love Lexus and all, but I have to agree here. All the "no Lexus is not at fault here" is bs. You guys wouldn't be saying the same if you were eating this.
Old 09-29-11, 07:35 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

LOL SMigone must be havin this problem
Old 09-29-11, 07:37 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Definitely worth bumping a 2 year old thread for!
Hahaha! Right??!!
Old 10-03-11, 09:16 AM
SMigone
Driver School Candidate

No, I'm not having this issue ...... at least not yet.... although my VIN and year fall into the category , just tired of people/Corporations , not being held accountable for their mistakes , while the individual person is.
Old 10-03-11, 10:22 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I love Lexus and all, but I have to agree here. All the "no Lexus is not at fault here" is bs. You guys wouldn't be saying the same if you were eating this.
Not to continue this uncalled for rehash of a cold case, but..

I don't think there's anyone posting here who wouldn't love to have Lexus suddenly say they were going to cover every problem on every car they've ever made, regardless of year or model. You're right - if I (or anyone else posting on this thread) was having this issue, I'd be furious, and I'd be on the phone with my dealer and Lexus corporate immediately.

No one here is discouraging the OP or anyone experiencing this or any other non-covered problem from doing exactly that. Quite the contrary - I highly encourage you to do this, because this is often how TSIBs/recalls/changes get issued or made.

The point being made here by the posters you decry is that regardless of how pissed you are or how much complaining you do here or to Lexus, the simple fact is that Lexus has no legal responsibility to fix this issue outside of warranty.

That's the key. No one's saying "Lexus shouldn't fix this" or "Lexus isn't at fault". What they're saying is "According to the legally-enforceable documents you signed at the time of purchase which clearly lay out Lexus' warranty policy including what it covers and doesn't and when it applies and when it runs out, Lexus is not legally required to fix this problem for people out of warranty".

Is that better?

When you bought the car, you agreed to the warranty policy that came with it. If you're not happy with Lexus' stated warranties, you have options - that's the beauty of free markets. You can go to a different auto manufacturer, or you can buy an extended warranty.

If Lexus or any other auto manufacturer were held responsible for any and all problems either in warranty or out of warranty, none of us could afford cars because the manufacturers would have to significantly raise prices to cover this risk. They limit their risk by limiting their warranty coverage. This in turn reduces the price to consumers. It does shift risk to the consumers, but those consumers are welcome to take the above-stated steps to hedge this risk.

Last edited by calvin2376; 10-03-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 09:12 PM
cv38
Driver School Candidate

When I was service writing for Lexus we were not supposed to perform TSIB's unless there was a "specific complaint" For one thing not all cars will have all the problems listed in TSIB's. Thank god your dealer is not a Chevy or Ford dealer. Just a few years back Lexus would cover all kinds of things out of warranty. My how things have changed. They did not cover my leaking timing cover because I was at 79k miles. I have covered "engines" that have failed out of warranty and the customer needed only to prove he paid for ONE oil change !!! I am very disappointed with Lexus now.
Old 10-03-11, 09:38 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

out of warranty or not the design is obviously the companies fault. Mine is an 07 I hope I dont run into this issue. I still have a long ways to go before my warranty is over. Sorry you had to go through this and thanks for posting this thread so all of us is aware of this issue
Old 06-07-12, 07:17 AM
Lono
Driver School Candidate

I now have this issue in 2007 GS 350. This is a design flaw and I am feed up with the labor and parts rate at the dealer. I recently walked out of a dealership as I said the price of the repair was silly and I was going to go to my local garage. The service team member said they won't use genuine Lexus parts. I replied bt saying "did you ever hear of generic drugs?" I will never go to the dealer for service again.
Old 06-10-12, 10:10 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Question

Actually I had a casual talk with my Customer Service manager, asked him what did he think about the carbon issue that affects IS's. He was like this is normal in all car's so if it occur's after warranty , the expense will be on the customers head. Not on the company. . I have lot more Km's to reach 1,00,000. Hopefully I can use that sea foam thing after a while.

Well guess Lexus is not bullet proof in reliability .