IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Old 09-21-09, 01:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50% coverage in this out of warranty (poor design) situation is reasonable. I had a similar situation with Porsche and they handled 50% of the total cost. Mercedes would be least likely to cover anything. I don't know how BMW would handle a similar situation, but don't expect the same level of reliability as experienced with the Lexus.
Old 09-21-09, 07:34 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Just out of curiosity, how many Toyota/Lexus/Scion products do you currently have (or have previously had) in your household? Also, do you do most/all of your servicing at a Lexus dealer?

I ask because these are factors Toyota/Scion usually considers for "Goodwill." I can't speak on behalf of Lexus, but I would imagine the criteria is similar.
No other Lexus/toyota cars in the household. Car has only been serviced by Lexus.
Old 09-21-09, 07:40 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmaung
Call up the 1800 lexus number. For a different problem, I went to the dealership and they said it is my fault (partly) and they quoted 1.5k for the repairs. I called up Lexus corporate and complained about it and they told the dealership that they will repair it for free. Took my car in about 2-3 weeks and problems solved. You just have to talk to corporate yourself. Since it is a TSB, they might do it. But just tell them that you just paid 3k for 60k service (most of it is bs fees).
I talked to the dealership first, and they referred me to the 1800 Lexus corporate number--corporate made the offer for 50% of the cost. Interested to know what repair you had that they paid for.
Old 09-21-09, 08:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am blown away that they didnt cover the entire thing. My wife's Acura had a broken engine mount after the warranty was over and they fixed it anyway . I still prefer Lexus over Acura but things like this are what get people to try different companies in the future. Lexus would have made a better decision if they just took care of it as opposed to risking a customer posting something like this
Old 09-21-09, 08:43 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me. I drive a 2007, it happened at like 20,000 miles. I suggest if you own a 2IS you have them replace the drain valve to not even have to worry about the problem in the future.
Old 09-21-09, 10:21 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Happened to me. I drive a 2007, it happened at like 20,000 miles. I suggest if you own a 2IS you have them replace the drain valve to not even have to worry about the problem in the future.
Does anyone know if they'll perform the TSIB even if you don't have the problem?
Old 09-22-09, 05:08 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
No other Lexus/toyota cars in the household. Car has only been serviced by Lexus.
Ah, so the 50% offer was probably made to you because of your service history at a Lexus dealer then. I would be willing to bet that if you had 1 or more additional Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles in your household, the amount covered would have been greater, if not full coverage. Unfortunately, the company cannot fully cover every car that is out of warranty, so they look at it on a case by case basis and make an offer based on the 3 factors I mentioned before.
Old 09-22-09, 05:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Does anyone know if they'll perform the TSIB even if you don't have the problem?
Generally speaking, no. TSIBs are not recalls. They are instructions to the dealer service department on how to fix a problem that some customers are experiencing.
Old 09-22-09, 06:55 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

^ Thanks! I hope this problem doesn't happen to me then.
Old 09-22-09, 08:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good helpful info. I'm going to keep an eye on the ground to make sure the water drains out underneath my IS350.
Old 09-22-09, 07:09 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Well Im sure its not that expensive to replace a drain valve. But hey if you want to wait for the inside of your car to start "sloshing" around with water to the point where you have to replace the transmission.... be my guest!
Old 09-22-09, 07:45 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Well Im sure its not that expensive to replace a drain valve. But hey if you want to wait for the inside of your car to start "sloshing" around with water to the point where you have to replace the transmission.... be my guest!
You seem a bit confused, please re-read my post to make sure you understand what actually happened. Just to be sure, I'll summarize for you: First, to replace the drain valve, you can't just pop a new one in. The only way to get to the valve is to dismantle the air conditioning system and drop the transmission--it's a very labor intensive process and that's why it costs $2,000, even though the cost of the part is minimal. No other alternative. Sorry.

Second, please tell me how you would know when the drain was blocked? Also, I did not have to replace the transmission, just the a/c drain.
Old 09-23-09, 04:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear, man, but the car went 69k miles before the problem showed up. I don't call that a "design defect." It absolutely sucks, but it's not different than anything else that goes wrong after the warranty is up. And, it wasn't just a few thousand miles out of warranty--it was almost 20k over the limit. Their agreement to pay 1/2 was fair.
Old 09-23-09, 07:26 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have cleaned the carpets as best I could and taken it to Carmax. Or have the insurance company deal with 'water damage'.

I have 90k miles on my 06' and still on the original set of rotors. Brake pads were done under the Tsb brake dust.

My 60k was an oil change and coolant change for about $180. The engine/ac filters cost $40 bucks. Dealer wanted almost $800 for the 60k service but they admitted it all didn't need to be done since my car is not old and sitting around for 5 years with 60k on it. Save money do ala carte.

My 30k was an oil change and I did the filters for $40.

---get this, I let lexus replace my windshield since insurance was picking up the tab and it was just under $1500. The GS which they quoted me initially was $1700. They sent the car to guardian glass since they don't do it in house and I called guardian directly and they would have charged me the price of $370.--- Stealership for sure!
Old 09-23-09, 07:33 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

To be fair Guardian's price of $370 is probably using generic glass. Lexus stamped glass is pricey.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Lexus nightmare