IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

will warranty cover these issues? or out of my own pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 03:34 PM
pli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will warranty cover these issues? or out of my own pocket?

so i have an 06 is350. i bought it used at 19k miles back in january. i had a few things warrantied already, like the brakes causing excessive brake dust, fuel pipe, and power steering rack.

1. now i didnt ask them yet, but i wanted to ask clublexus first. i know this is a known problem to some of the 2IS people: when i press the start button to turn on my car, it makes a scratching noise. from what i remember reading in the past, it's part of powersteering that makes the noise?

2. the other thing is, in the winter, the dashboard rattles.. and its annoying. sometimes i have to slap it or push against it, and it goes away for a bit.

3. lastly, idk if anyone else has this issue, but my car whines like a supercharger when i gas it..but when i let go of the pedal and the car is coasting, i do not hear it. i feel like a belt needs to be changed. has anyone experienced this or heard about this?

so for 1, 2, and 3...which ones will get warrantied and which ones do you think i may have to pay for?
Old 07-10-09, 03:36 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why complaining about step 3? haha
1 and 2, dealership should cover if you tell them that it rattles/random noises. Just hope that it happens again when you have a service manager or the technician for the test ride to hear it so they'll take care of it. If it comes and goes, they can try and get it.
Old 07-10-09, 06:38 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

I have same problem as #1. I brought it to the dealer and they didn't fix it. They said that it has to make that sound there or else they don't know what to fix.
Old 07-10-09, 06:49 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Phiber
I have same problem as #1. I brought it to the dealer and they didn't fix it. They said that it has to make that sound there or else they don't know what to fix.
Being a Lexus Tech myself, that is true. If you don't know what you are trying to fix, you can not fix it. Ask your service consultant to have a technician sit in the car with you to varify the concern. As far as #2, it is a very common problem with a variety of Lexus models. They will remove your dash pad, and insulate everything for free, as long as you are still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty. I have heard some pretty bad dash rattles come through the shop, I know how annoying that can get. With issue #3, that is a normal condition for the newer lexus motors. They all do it, along with the loud ticking noise at idle that is easily confused for valve tapping noise, but is actually due to the high pressure fuel system. Hope this helps
Old 07-10-09, 07:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i thought the 2is was chain-driven, not belt-driven?
Old 07-10-09, 07:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

#1 is the steering lock motor. It disengages when you start the car and engages when you shut the car off and open the door. I complained about this noise in my 350, they said it was normal, but when I got the car back it was silent. For a week. Then it started up again.

My F does not make this noise. Yet. I know it will. Lexus will not fix it no matter what. The steering column would have to be replaced. Also, I have a friend with an 06 GS 430. Guess what? His makes the same exact noise. But I guarantee you, if you get in a new IS/GS with the same motorized steering lock, they don't make the noise when the car is new. Mine started doing it near the 2 year/45k mile point.

Don't expect a fix of any kind.
Old 07-10-09, 11:33 PM
pli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lextechGS
Being a Lexus Tech myself, that is true. If you don't know what you are trying to fix, you can not fix it. Ask your service consultant to have a technician sit in the car with you to varify the concern. As far as #2, it is a very common problem with a variety of Lexus models. They will remove your dash pad, and insulate everything for free, as long as you are still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty. I have heard some pretty bad dash rattles come through the shop, I know how annoying that can get. With issue #3, that is a normal condition for the newer lexus motors. They all do it, along with the loud ticking noise at idle that is easily confused for valve tapping noise, but is actually due to the high pressure fuel system. Hope this helps
interesting about #3.. can anyone else confirm this?

sorry lextechGS..not that i don't trust you but more sources would be nice. =]
Old 07-11-09, 04:58 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#3 happens in my car when I am using my iphone as an ipod or my ipod when it is plugged in and charging at the same time
Old 07-11-09, 06:46 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 Had the same problem, usually only happened when it was cold. Dealer knew about it, said it was normal, I think they blamed it on the VVT.

#3 Not sure, but does this happen when the radio is both on and off?

I guess cars, expensive ones arent supposed to rattle. My friend has a GS, he has taken it back so many times for rattles that I think at some point the dealer is going to stop trying and just say they looked into it. I can live with a creak here and there, I mean sometimes I get outta bed and I rattle. Think about your car hot to cold, sun to shade...I know some people dont tolerate this, but do I want the dealer taking apart my entire car? Plus I used to put 4 12" speakers in the trunk to make the cars next to me rattle.

Regardless, they should fix all this stuff for free.
Old 07-11-09, 08:13 AM
lextechGS
Driver

Originally Posted by pli
interesting about #3.. can anyone else confirm this?

sorry lextechGS..not that i don't trust you but more sources would be nice. =]
It's all good. The High pressure fuel pump is actually sitting on top of the passenger side valve cover towards the fire wall. There is a specific lobe on that camshaft that hits the pump making it build pressure. I believe it runs up to 1,600PSI. The ticking noise is actually coming from the fuel injectors. They are such high pressure and have to turn on and off so fast....it causes the noise. It's similar to a sulenoid noise. Also, Whoever asked about that motor being chain driven is correct. There are actually 3 separate chains keeping the timing together.
Old 07-11-09, 10:14 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lextechGS
Also, Whoever asked about that motor being chain driven is correct. There are actually 3 separate chains keeping the timing together.
Are there three metal or rubber timing belts for the IS350?

PLI, my IS350 also whines like a supercharger when I gas it so it appears to be normal.
Old 07-11-09, 10:45 AM
lextechGS
Driver

There are 3 metal chains, and do not need to be replaced at your 90K miles service. It is a maintenance free chain. Yea about the whining noise, I am not 100% about if it is coming from the fuel system like the ticking noise, but it's something about the new chain driven motors....I drive plenty of new IS, GS, ES etc..models every day, and everyone does it. Even when the car has 3 miles on it and is getting it's PDI(pre delivery inspection), it makes the same noise.