IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will you buy a modified or stock IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 11:02 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you buy a modified or stock IS?

Will you buy a modified IS or stock? and WHY?
Old 07-10-09, 11:04 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

stock because a modded one most likely means the owner is a car enthusiast which means higher percentage of the car being abused.
Old 07-10-09, 11:05 AM
kanariya
Driver School Candidate

stock because the stock look is the best.

i don't like over modded cars.
Old 07-10-09, 11:08 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Phiber
stock because a modded one most likely means the owner is a car enthusiast which means higher percentage of the car being abused.

+1 Well said
Old 07-10-09, 11:09 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock, modified though if I knew the owner and knew that he treated the car well..and also depended on the mods.
Old 07-10-09, 11:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Stock, modified though if I knew the owner and knew that he treated the car well..and also depended on the mods.
I agree, need to know usage on a lightly modded car.

But I will not pay a penny extra for the mods, which is generally how the market values mods too. I bought a modded Acura for a commuter car this way and it gave years of good service.
Old 07-10-09, 11:22 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought both lol. Last year i bought a turbo IS300 buying one already boosted is alot cheaper overall than paying to do it yourself the guy i bought it from spent over $17k on boosting it and i bought the car for a lil less than that BUT makeing sure it was done right is a major thing you have to check. If the car is only modded cosmetically like rims, kit, coilovers, springs/shocks, intake, exhaust etc that stuff is easily changed if you dont like it and you can usally get them for "free" when buying the car. I have seen plenty of stock cars that have been thrashed usually people who mod their cars are also spending the money to take care of it.

Last edited by slvrboolet; 07-10-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-10-09, 11:23 AM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

depends what mods have been done to the car, but more than likely i would buy stock. start from scratch and build your own, is always better.
Old 07-10-09, 11:29 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Stock, not only the abuse that may have been put on the car but certain mods might not be your taste. It would be a hassle to go back to stock or find new parts.

Just start from scratch.
Old 07-10-09, 11:33 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
I have bought both lol. Last year i bought a turbo IS300 buying one already boosted is alot cheaper overall than paying to do it yourself the guy i bought it from spent over $17k on boosting it and i bought the car for a lil less than that BUT makeing sure it was done right is a major thing you have to check. If the car is only modded cosmetically like rims, kit, coilovers, springs/shocks, intake, exhaust etc that stuff is easily changed if you dont like it and you can usally get them for "free" when buying the car. I have seen plenty of stock cars that have been thrashed usually people who mod their cars are also spending the money to take care of it.
True! That's how I see it. I don't push my engine that hard, although I push the suspension/tires moreso. If a car has the mods that I would put into it anyways, I would see it as a bargain getting them with it, save $$ on buying parts/installation.
Old 07-10-09, 11:50 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock because picking, choosing, researching, and modding yourself is [at least] half the fun!
Old 07-10-09, 01:39 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the mods. However, in general I would prefer to buy a stock vehicle. I see modifications as an extension of your own personality, making them very specific to each owner. That's just me, though.
Old 07-10-09, 01:56 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

For me it would depend on the car and what mods were on the car already. I agree that one of the disadvantages to buying a car that was already "modded" would that you wouldn't know 1. how hard the car was pushed in the past and 2. if the parts were installed properly, etc. But then again, the same can be said about a used "stock" car.

Another disadvantage I see, is that buying a "modded" car would take most of the fun and excitement out of deciding what you wanted to do to your car, picking the parts, installing them, and enjoying your hard work after.

But if you were to get a really good deal on a car that was already "modded" with parts you would have chosen yourself, then I agree that you should consider it because it would just be too good of a deal to pass up. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-10-09, 02:20 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
I have seen plenty of stock cars that have been thrashed usually people who mod their cars are also spending the money to take care of it.

I totally agree!!!

A lot of people assume when a car is modded (tastefully; spared no expense) the car was abused or not taken cared of; it's actually the opposite.

A great example, my best friend leased a 2009 "stock" MBZ C63. All I can say, I feel bad for the next owner. Since day one, he has driven his C63 so hard I actually feel sorry for the car. He said, "who cares, it's not my car I'm only renting for 2 yrs!" I replied, "I understand, but you're over abusing it. He replied with a huge smile, "again that's the benefit of leasing a car."
Old 07-10-09, 02:52 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Stock and well maintained because I don't like molested cars

Quick Reply: Will you buy a modified or stock IS?