IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will you buy a modified or stock IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 02:57 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Would modded car be considered mostly aftermarket parts or if I had like GFX kit Lexus exhaust would that be modded? They're all Lexus parts.
Old 07-10-09, 03:28 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's quite unanimous that about 95% of the people will buy a stock car because the stock car doesn't show excess abuse or wear due to a modification done for the purpose gaining horsepower. Simply put, a stock will provide themost longevity.
Old 07-10-09, 03:29 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless however, what if all of the mods in this particular case were of OEM upgrades? i.e. fsport parts installed at the dealership? How would this affect your decision?
Old 07-10-09, 03:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecLexus
Unless however, what if all of the mods in this particular case were of OEM upgrades? i.e. fsport parts installed at the dealership? How would this affect your decision?
That's a valid point, and I would consider it depending on the condition and history of the car.

As mentioned, some of the most thrashed cars are lease-turns, but they are completely un-modded. Most of those end up being auctioned off and are not salable on a Lexus lot. The lease turn-in criteria is not very strict, other than the mileage limits.
Old 07-10-09, 03:39 PM
JT@carlab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depend on condition and what kind of modification they have.

Some people buy replica or cheap parts that makes the car looks ugly.

I agree with some of the comments saying that most of modified cars is molested.
However, Not all the car has been molested. I modified my car but I treat her better than I treat my GF. LOL...

In my opinion I won't buy Non Modified cars will be most likely being used for daily driving. That's mean the car has high potential has minor damages (Dents, Dings, windshield crack, and rock chip from highway commuting).
Old 07-10-09, 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
Would modded car be considered mostly aftermarket parts or if I had like GFX kit Lexus exhaust would that be modded? They're all Lexus parts.
That should be fine, but Used Car manager (if trade situation) might be worried about cost of replacing exhaust to stock/quiet setup. Did you save the old system?
Old 07-10-09, 03:50 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That should be fine, but Used Car manager (if trade situation) might be worried about cost of replacing exhaust to stock/quiet setup. Did you save the old system?
Nah it's gone. i'm planning on keep the car for a long time anyway and lexus hks exhaust is sweet sounding.
Old 07-10-09, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
Nah it's gone. i'm planning on keep the car for a long time anyway and lexus hks exhaust is sweet sounding.
Any droning issues at CA freeway cruise speeds (65-85mph)?
Old 07-10-09, 05:29 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

If it was from someone I know from a forum or local group, I'd probably buy a modified one. Otherwise stock.
Old 07-10-09, 05:38 PM
Isblue
Pole Position

Stock, unless i knew the person selling it and they didnt abuse it...
Old 07-10-09, 06:37 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

not just a stock 2is, but a brand spankin' new (and stock) 2is.

that is, unless it came w/ the entire f-sport parts catalog right off the lot.
Old 07-10-09, 09:20 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

I mean sometimes you think it's stock but they're probably previously modded. i.e. those people that part out their cars before selling.
Old 07-10-09, 09:54 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely stock, someone I know with a 350 really drives his to the point where his car creaks and groans lol.

Unless its ELL Y's car, which case I would love to have his sweet HID setup
Old 07-10-09, 10:31 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car was well done... i would buy it. u save half the amount for those after market parts already put on. My car is modified and it doesn't mean i abuse it just becuz i put some performance mods on. If the modded car is done to your taste... why da hell not. I believe I take care of my car more than any other person w/ a "stock" IS.
Old 07-10-09, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The more a car is taken apart and put back together, the less factory tight it is in my opinion. Same thing when taken to a dealership for work. If the techs have to remove the dash or headliner, that would also get me nervous. There is nothing more stringent than what the factor does.

I'd chose stock. In my twenty years of driving, I've seen more modded cars driven rough compared to stock cars. Appearantly, dealers agree.

As far as modders taking better care of their cars because it's their hobby, that may be true regarding appearance. But if driven harder or more to the limits, the car is going to wear out faster than a car that has been babied.

Quick Reply: Will you buy a modified or stock IS?