IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS250 AWD causing my right leg/hip to hurt!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 07:27 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I have a problem with my IS too. See my post here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-on-this.html
Old 10-29-09, 09:04 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm actually having knee problems from getting IN and OUT of my 2IS. I guess i might be on the taller side to be getting in such a short car, and getting in has actually caused problems to my left knee... i cant just hop in and out anymore, i have to think about it so i dont go twisting my knee awkwardly anymore. Lame.
Old 01-26-11, 10:03 AM
tfilkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
So I've traded in my 05 TSX for an 09 IS250 AWD. Very happy at first and enjoying the nice ride and handling, until my right leg started to hurt.

Didn't notice it that much at first, but that stupid BUMP protruding out the driver's side is giving me fits! I simply cannot rest my right left in a proper straight ergonomic manner. My right simply cannot straighten out, and is what I liken a repetitive stress disorder. WTF?? I gather this BUMP is part of the AWD transmission? I didn't pay much attention to this at first, but now realize that Infiniti's G37 "bump" is in the back middle console. Isn't that a better place??

My TSX was given my lower back pain b/c of insufficient lumbar support; the IS has great lumbar support and my lower back no longer hurts, but now my right leg and hip is unbelievably sore. I can't drive longer than but a few minutes before the pain starts.

Any suggestions? Maybe my seat position is not right? Going to the dealership tomorrow for the 1k service, and am going to ask them what the hell is going on?!? Argh!!
I have a 2008 IS 250 RWD and am experiencing leg pain in my right leg after about 10-15 mins of driving. I have tried a large variety of different heights and distances from the pedals but continue to experience leg problems. Different positions seem to give me different leg pain areas. I am 5'8. Did you ever find a solution this problem?
Old 02-03-11, 10:36 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfilkins
I have a 2008 IS 250 RWD and am experiencing leg pain in my right leg after about 10-15 mins of driving. I have tried a large variety of different heights and distances from the pedals but continue to experience leg problems. Different positions seem to give me different leg pain areas. I am 5'8. Did you ever find a solution this problem?
I didn't think this thread was still alive.

I eventually did find a solution to the problem, and it was a pricey one. I traded in the 09 IS 250 AWD for a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT. IMHO, the TL 6MT is a far superior car compared to the IS: far better and comfortable driving position, better nav, more spacious interior, a more advanced proactive full time torque vectoring AWD system, a happier right leg/hip, better visibility, more power/torque, a slick 6 speed manual, an actual clear and usable blue tooth voice recognition, and a useful CD ripping HDD. Yes, the TL has a polarizing exterior to say the least, but my priorities were the interior, driver's comfort, and AWD.

I've driven the TL on a few roadtrips, and it's definitely comfy upfront and in the rear. No right leg/hip pain, no lower back pain, and no butt pain (I also eventually developed a sore rear end b/c I felt the IS' bottom seat cushion eventually felt like a piece of rock)

I took a double financial hit, by trading in the IS at only 4,000 miles, and in purchasing the TL 6MT when is was first released (no discounts given at that time).

I had enough with the IS and was so disappointed and angry with the so-called advertised "Lexus comfort," I didn't want to deal with it anymore. Plus, I hated the nav, had an annoying rattle the dealership couldn't find, and then came the onslaught of the recalls. I intensively re-cross shopped the A4/S4, 335xi, G37x, TL, and even checked out the Legacy and Forester. The TL had the best driver's comfort IMHO of all those vehicles I tested.

My conclusion: IMHO the IS, is probably meant for small frame single skinny females (no disrespect to those who own and like their IS).

After my experience with the IS and due to the recent onslaught of Toyota/Lexus recalls, I likely will never purchase another Lexus again. Though my wife is happy with her RX330, when her it's time to replace her RX, who knows what she wants, but I would advocate the MDX...

Good luck to those with the same issues I had. It's neither an easy nor cheap problem to remedy.
Old 02-04-11, 04:49 AM
pickaxpete
Driver School Candidate

Angry Hump in IS250

Originally Posted by tfilkins
Lexus corporate is denying any safety issue here. I disagree and wrote to NHTSA who never wrote back even tho I filed a formal complaint.
I cannot drive the IS for longer than 50 miles, especially in summer when wearing shorts. I have to put a towel on the hump to prevent skin irritation as the carpet is so scratchy.
We need to keep this thread going- does Lexus read it?
Old 02-04-11, 06:33 AM
texas02118
Driver

Originally Posted by VasTech
driving with a fat wallet in the back pocket....
I thought it was because of my flat ... Glad to know that wallets can hurt people's rears and not just mine.
Old 05-13-11, 01:16 AM
viprtwo
Driver

i also noticed an interesting soreness around the inner hip/thigh of my right leg while driving. it stayed sore for about 2 weeks. Still trying to find the best position, but still end up moving the seat each time i get into the car.

I hate to say this, but i think my 1992 honda accord had more comfortable seats..
Old 05-13-11, 11:49 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Time for all of you to trade in for a big comfortable ES350
Old 05-13-11, 12:16 PM
JDMis350
Driver

most likely seat positon i have a 350 but my right leg will get tingly if my seat is too high or if i have my wallet in my pocket
Old 02-20-12, 08:31 AM
CPC
Driver School Candidate

I bought my IS 250 a year ago. Pain started slowly building in my right hip. Took awhile to isolate cause to the drivers seat. The seat is concave and the right bolster presses against my bum. Trying to figure out a way to modify without buying a new car.
Old 02-21-12, 05:17 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am 5'11 and I never touch the bump, but i have my seat way back and the steering column all the way out, i dont know why but i like to be further away from winshield. maybe you should try that approach.
Old 02-21-12, 08:54 AM
ghwanee
Rookie

I'm 5'10 and I sit comfortably. I have driven 30 hrs straight without any discomfort.
Old 02-21-12, 03:58 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
I didn't think this thread was still alive.

I eventually did find a solution to the problem, and it was a pricey one. I traded in the 09 IS 250 AWD for a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT.
Nice change...but it's a bit unfair to compare the TL with the IS.....the comparable class would be the GS......

Congrats on your new ride....enjoy!
Old 02-21-12, 05:01 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

I will add a story of my own that is not based on personal experiences with an AWD 2IS, because mine is RWD and I could not be more thrilled with the overall ergonomics of the car, even on long trips. However, its the relaying of a personal experience and some advice for anyone dealing with unfixable ergonomic issues in any car model, Lexus or otherwise.

Around 2002 I had a severely sprained ankle, and if you've ever had one you know they take forever to heal. I bought a new car (not Lexus) shortly after that, while my ankle was still healing. I did a test drive of two different identical cars before buying. About a day after driving the car off the lot, I noticed something I had not noticed before. A lump in the left side of the drivers floorboard was causing ankle discomfort (more than normal), because I could not put my leg in the natural position. It took several hours of driving and being in the wrong position to notice it. Of course, immediate reaction is one of buyer's remorse, but within an hour or so of experimentation I realized part of the problem was old habits. If I positioned my left leg in a different way than what I had come to expect, I was fine -- no noticeable discomfort. In very little time I was able to kick the old habit and adopt the new (literally about an hour or two of driving).

I kept that car 8 years. During that time, my ankle never completely healed despite physical therapy, etc. I just sort of accepted it as one of those unfortunate events in life I was going to live with. There were surgical options but I'd read enough horror stories to be leary of that route. During this 8 years I had no idea that I was still doing harm to my ankle, because I never felt pain while driving the car. The pain manifested in different ways... things like recurring severe calf cramps while exercising (I'm talking ungodly amounts of pain, like the worst charley horse you've ever had that lasts for duration of 60-90 seconds). Sometimes these cramps would come in the middle of the night (every 3-4 weeks or so), waking me up and making me tired at work the next day. Sometimes the ankle just hurt... I'd step on a rock or pinecone and be limping for a week. Sometimes the pain just left me bummed that I couldn't do some of the physical things I could do before the accident.

In 2010 I got my IS. Plenty of room for my ankle, so I never really thought anything about the floorboard lump in the old car. After a few months of ownership, I suddenly realized that although my ankle was not miraculously cured, it was much better. No more severe calf cramps in the middle of the night... nothing severe enough that I would actually feel pain when I walked, only relatively minor amounts of tension or discomfort.

I wish I had gotten rid of the 2002-2010 car long before I did. I probably would have if I realized how it was hindering the healing of my ankle. Although it is greatly improved, my ankle may or may not ever be the same, and I will probably never know how big a mistake keeping that car was, but I can tell you that if I had it to do over again taking a multi-thousand dollar loss on the car would have been nothing compared to having my bad ankle back to normal.

I would not be quick to blame or judge specific models of the car for bad ergonomics, because there are many factors involved here. Even beyond the normal challenges that folks who are taller or shorter than average may face, there are things like the mysterious lump in the car I mentioned that might bother only a small percentage of drivers, but bother them severely.

The point of all this is just to put your health and comfort first. Don't keep a car if its killing your back/joints whatever and there's no way to fix it. Also, it is not always possible to catch every possible ergonomic issue with a test drive. Its a risk we take by changing cars. In my case, changing cars was a VERY good thing, I just waited longer than I should have to do it.
Old 05-11-13, 03:54 PM
A4forME
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 Lexus IS250 AWD leg pain

I have to agree with the folks that say the seat and the pedals don't exactly line up and there is some ergonomic issues with the car. I just purchased a Previously Owned IS250 AWD, On my first trip to work I started to feel a pain on the outside of my right knee and then the pain would go up my leg. After about a week (because I was hoping it would go away) I called the dealer that I purchased it from and they suggested I come visit their expert on the car to see if he could figure out a good seat position where my leg wouldn't hurt. I agreed and to my surprise the expert took a look and he could see how when I moved my leg back and forth that my leg was turning in an odd way and there was nothing he could do. I was relived when he walked in to the sales manager and said yep 'she's' right there is something wrong with the alignment and there wasn't anything that could be done. He felt that the hump for the AWD was causing the poor alignment.

The great news is that the dealer was reasonable about the whole thing. I actually trade an Audi A4 that I had forever and loved for the Lexus, I wanted to try something else. Should have stuck with a good thing. They were able to find me a 2013 Previously owned Audi A4 and took care of the whole thing by undoing the original sale and we started completely over. I owned a Lexus for 1.5 weeks and I'm so glad I don't anymore.

Be careful when you test drive and really pay attention to how you fit in the car. I've learned my lesson, Take a test drive without the sales guy,(all they do is talk while you are driving and you aren't paying the right attention to the drive) take it on the highway and make sure you simulate the stop and go of bumper to bumper traffic.

All's well that ends well, just be careful with this car.

Quick Reply: 2009 IS250 AWD causing my right leg/hip to hurt!!