IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

going to the track alittle scared!! Vs 335Xi, Mustang Gt

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 09:23 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the more air on the tires the faster you are when rolling but the less grip you ahve from the start. so the fornt tires need to be inflated high. the rear, since its a rear wheel drive car, need to be somewhat low so you can get better grip off the line. if you go too low then it will slow you down too much once you get off the line.
one time i tried 30 psi on the rear and slowed me down too much. i think 33-35 is a good balance for the rears.
Old 06-09-09, 09:30 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ty juice i practiced my starts yesterday and i spinned just alittle bit not alot but i sure went fast lol did about 5 tries maybe ill do some today but we got some rain so i dont think that will help.. another stupid questiong should i drive daily with etc on or just keep it in normal.. and i never had a RWD car so how can i do alittle burn out.. ty
Old 06-09-09, 09:39 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

turn the traction off...hold down the brake (not e-brake) then step on the gas slowly till the tire start spinning. I wouldn't turn off the traction fully if I was him. The traction automatically turns back on after 30 mph unless you turn it off completely. If you're still spinning by 30 then you're done. If you never been to a track look at how people stage, that way you won't look like a fool when it's your turn....drive around the water box, unless you wanna do a smoke show.

now...IMO...
I'm assuming the Xi model is the awd...if the 335 is a good driver, it's gonna be a really good race. I'll probably put my money on the 335. You should be able to beat the GT...my money is on you.

Last edited by 2k2 R1; 06-09-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-09-09, 09:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

UA,

Here are a few other threads on this same topic that may help. I found them by searching 'launch track' in the 2is forum using the search feature of CL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...questions.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...launching.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...109-20mph.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-normal.html
Old 06-09-09, 11:58 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1
turn the traction off...hold down the brake (not e-brake) then step on the gas slowly till the tire start spinning. I wouldn't turn off the traction fully if I was him. The traction automatically turns back on after 30 mph unless you turn it off completely. If you're still spinning by 30 then you're done. If you never been to a track look at how people stage, that way you won't look like a fool when it's your turn....drive around the water box, unless you wanna do a smoke show.

now...IMO...
I'm assuming the Xi model is the awd...if the 335 is a good driver, it's gonna be a really good race. I'll probably put my money on the 335. You should be able to beat the GT...my money is on you.
well i will have prove that i will win the 335xi since he is my best friend and he does not drive good stick like hes been driving for 4years but he is scared to let go of the cluth more that is why i know i am gonna beat him i drove with him before and he does not switch fast at all now his brother is a different story.. so i will let you know how it went down ty for advice
Old 06-09-09, 12:17 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

keep us posted.
Old 06-09-09, 01:01 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uaaction
well i will have prove that i will win the 335xi since he is my best friend and he does not drive good stick like hes been driving for 4years but he is scared to let go of the cluth more that is why i know i am gonna beat him i drove with him before and he does not switch fast at all now his brother is a different story.. so i will let you know how it went down ty for advice
good luck buddy...try getting it on tape
Old 06-09-09, 01:37 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

ty all if anything i might install a camera inside so u can see the race from the drivers view lol it will be kinda cool can u actually do that or no
Old 06-09-09, 01:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MORE4MY 4
Ok this is crazy what I just read but to each their own first you don t need to move your engine covers spare tire jack floor mats and trunk mats those are not that heavy that you have to move that is crazy . This is what you should do run the car in power mode its makes the shift faster go buy a K&N filter is like $50 and if you have the money go and buy a blitz throttle controller .

An entire post of incorrect advice!

Removing any weight makes the car faster, period. By a lot? nope, but it does -something- unlike the rest of your advice. Like most things it's a trade-off...the spare is reasonably heavy but a bit more of a pain to take in/out, the floor mats don't weigh as much but are easy to take in/out. The center engine cover takes less than 30 seconds to remove or replace, the rest are a bit more of a pain.

Power mode is slower for a drag race, the car shifts at a _lower_ rpm (bad).

Power mode is great for part-throttle driving, which isn't what you're doing in a race.

Normal mode will be best for a race, as datalogged and graphed by gernby a while back.

The Blitz part does -nothing- in a drag race (well, it does nothing period except lie about how far you pushed the gas pedal, and you'll be pushing it all the way in a race, so for this purpose, nothing at all.)

A K&N won't do a thing for you either- the stock intake and filter already provides more air than the engine can use. It can save you $ if you keep the car long enough but it won't enhance performance at all.

Replacing the stock intake tube with a Joe Z (or the tube from the F-sport) on the other hand will offer a small (~5 hp) gain due to the smoother airflow path.
Old 06-09-09, 03:16 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
An entire post of incorrect advice!

Removing any weight makes the car faster, period. By a lot? nope, but it does -something- unlike the rest of your advice. Like most things it's a trade-off...the spare is reasonably heavy but a bit more of a pain to take in/out, the floor mats don't weigh as much but are easy to take in/out. The center engine cover takes less than 30 seconds to remove or replace, the rest are a bit more of a pain.

Power mode is slower for a drag race, the car shifts at a _lower_ rpm (bad).

Power mode is great for part-throttle driving, which isn't what you're doing in a race.

Normal mode will be best for a race, as datalogged and graphed by gernby a while back.

The Blitz part does -nothing- in a drag race (well, it does nothing period except lie about how far you pushed the gas pedal, and you'll be pushing it all the way in a race, so for this purpose, nothing at all.)

A K&N won't do a thing for you either- the stock intake and filter already provides more air than the engine can use. It can save you $ if you keep the car long enough but it won't enhance performance at all.

Replacing the stock intake tube with a Joe Z (or the tube from the F-sport) on the other hand will offer a small (~5 hp) gain due to the smoother airflow path.
TY Kurtz... i just ordered my intake so i am gonna be on the safe side i am thinking of removing the parts u mentioned nothing to crazy and hard to put back lol... thanks guys for everything but we are betting some stuff over here with my friends lol so i have to WIN... O.o i wanna make LEXUS name Proud and keep it that way so on the street they wont even bother to touch us O.o..ty all

Last edited by uaaction; 06-09-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 04:32 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

just go on the 3rd yellow light and youll win. lol
Old 06-10-09, 10:01 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If the AWD 335 is stock you should have no problem. Depending on how much extra hp the GT has you may have a little trouble. You would not have a problem with a stock GT.

Take out as much weight as possible (including 1/8 tank of gas). If you have the time and money get a JoeZ intake. An exhaust will also give you a little more. Don't use the power mode or paddles. The IS350 is one of the easiest car to drag race, practice makes perfect. Most of all, have FUN!

Koz