IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'09 Paddle shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 04:18 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default '09 Paddle shifter question

For the people with 09 2IS...Does your paddle shifter work when you're driving in "D" mode? I heard that 09 car can use paddle shifter anytime without having to shift to "S" mode? Just curious.
Old 04-20-09, 05:37 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to chime in, I was able to downshift one or two gears with my paddle shifter before coming to a stop and I was in "D" mode. However, I never tried to upshift with the paddle shifter while in "D" mode.
Old 04-20-09, 07:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzaikun
Just to chime in, I was able to downshift one or two gears with my paddle shifter before coming to a stop and I was in "D" mode. However, I never tried to upshift with the paddle shifter while in "D" mode.
The paddle shifters don't actually shift.

They control the highest gear you will allow the automatic transmission to use.

If you happen to restrict it to a range lower than what it's in when you hit the paddle then it'll be forced to shift to the highest allowable gear though, albeit indirectly.

And yes on 09s they work in D too.
Old 04-20-09, 07:51 PM
vesder21
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
For the people with 09 2IS...Does your paddle shifter work when you're driving in "D" mode? I heard that 09 car can use paddle shifter anytime without having to shift to "S" mode? Just curious.
correct, i have a new '08 and had my car serviced the other day. they gave me an '09 and noticed that i was able to shift while still in "drive."

i love this option and wish my '08 had it too...
Old 04-20-09, 10:11 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow , this is good feature for an 09.....
Old 04-20-09, 11:10 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The paddle shifters don't actually shift.

They control the highest gear you will allow the automatic transmission to use.

If you happen to restrict it to a range lower than what it's in when you hit the paddle then it'll be forced to shift to the highest allowable gear though, albeit indirectly.

And yes on 09s they work in D too.
I see, when I paddle down, it slows the car down significantly without applying the brakes. But I only did that once to see if it worked, but I'm afraid of doing any harm to the tranny so I stopped.
Old 04-21-09, 12:07 AM
kimban
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, when I paddle down, it slows the car down significantly without applying the brakes. But I only did that once to see if it worked, but I'm afraid of doing any harm to the tranny so I stopped.
you wont harm the tranny... or else lexus engineer wouldnt give you that option.. braking at high speed probably does more harm to the engine than shifting to 5th gear in D mode at 80mph.
Old 04-21-09, 12:18 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So how does the car know when you want it to go back to shifting on its own if u start using paddles in "D"??
Old 04-21-09, 03:29 AM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

when you paddle the gear back to 6th, independent of the speed you are at, it resumes normal full auto operation
Old 04-21-09, 04:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
So how does the car know when you want it to go back to shifting on its own if u start using paddles in "D"??

Again- the car -always- shifts on its own. You never directly shift it.

The only thing you can do is limit the range of gears its allowed to automatically shift between.

If you happen to already be in 6th and you paddle down so that the car is no longer allowed to be in 6th then it has no choice but to shift into 5th...which causes engine braking. (If you'd been in 3rd when you changed the gear range from 1-6 to 1-5 then nothing would have happened).

While you're not going to really hurt anything with the occasional engine braking it's not a good way to slow the car down on a regular basis, since it does put a bit more wear on the transmission each time you do it. Brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than transmissions in the long run.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-21-09 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-21-09, 08:18 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

So what's the point of "S" mode? I guess if you want to shift with the **** you'd need to be in "S" mode.
Old 04-21-09, 08:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
So what's the point of "S" mode? I guess if you want to shift with the **** you'd need to be in "S" mode.
Not much of a point really...

Well, that's not totally true... there's some situations where limiting gear range is useful... driving down out of the mountains for example where it'll keep your brakes from overheating... In theory I could probably conceive of a couple of odd highway passing scenarios where moving it over to S (to drop it from 6 to 4) right before you're gonna gas it might be useful...

But overall it's not good for a whole lot besides fooling people who don't understand it into thinking they've got some kinda SMG type system when they really don't
Old 04-21-09, 08:55 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why couldn't have lexus just made it to shift the actual gear instead of limiting the gear for the transmission to shirt on its own?
Old 04-21-09, 09:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

More complex, thus costly, to develop a "real" safe and reliable manual shifting option for an auto like that... especially for when the car was originally developed (this method is totally BS electronic trickery versus doing anything mechanical.

keep in mind the 2IS was first shown in early 2005, so the "technology" behind much of the car is 5 years old at this point.

The IS-F can, on the other hand, behaves how you'd want the ISx50 to- shifts on demand, holds gears, etc...

I'm sure the next gen IS will have this on all models... but if they were ever gonna add it to the 2IS then the 09 revision would've been the time and no dice.
Old 04-21-09, 10:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
More complex, thus costly, to develop a "real" safe and reliable manual shifting option for an auto like that... especially for when the car was originally developed (this method is totally BS electronic trickery versus doing anything mechanical.

keep in mind the 2IS was first shown in early 2005, so the "technology" behind much of the car is 5 years old at this point.

The IS-F can, on the other hand, behaves how you'd want the ISx50 to- shifts on demand, holds gears, etc...

I'm sure the next gen IS will have this on all models... but if they were ever gonna add it to the 2IS then the 09 revision would've been the time and no dice.
My 2000 TL's sport shift, while no SMG, functioned better. It did not just follow the normal auto tranny shift sequence. So it can't just be because the technology has evolved since the 2IS was introduced.

Quick Reply: '09 Paddle shifter question