Should I keep my Smoked Tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 01:00 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niteLEX

keep em, F the police!

I get mad compliments outside of this lil CL world.......
not really
it sucks to get pulled over just for the black out overlay and next thing you know the police will give you tickets for exhaust, window tint, intake etc...

and I hope you know that this "lil" CL world that you mentioned happens to be one of the biggest and finest Lexus Forums
Old 04-10-09, 01:20 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Not a fan of smoked tail light period.
Old 04-10-09, 01:23 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loved them if they are done right.

Not too dark not too light, not vinyl, smooth and glossy
Old 04-10-09, 01:43 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts

How are they smoked, is it an overlay or did you have them modified?

I have a Black / Obsidian car and I have been looking for a good non-overlay way to smoke mine.
Old 04-10-09, 02:41 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the aerotect redouts and smoked tails also. i wouldnt take mine off for any reason. in fact i would go darker if i could. 20 percent tint and smoked tails, and doesnt look like every other ISX50 on the road.
Old 04-10-09, 05:32 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Your asking for opinions right, so in all honesty, I think they make the IS look cheap and street/boy racer like a pimped out Civic.
Old 04-10-09, 07:08 AM
Rash
hmm

Not a fan of smoked tails, but it looks fine on dark cars.
Old 04-10-09, 07:36 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

Redout = sexy and less headache with the PO PO. =)
Old 04-10-09, 07:55 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a fan of the tails.

Was following a M5 in the city with them the other day and nearly rear ended him cuz he accelerated so quick and came to a stop and I couldnt make out his brake light was on...
Old 04-10-09, 08:21 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Red out ftw!
Old 04-10-09, 09:21 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
Red out ftw!
+1 to avoid CHP warning !!
Old 04-10-09, 10:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Your asking for opinions right, so in all honesty, I think they make the IS look cheap and street/boy racer like a pimped out Civic.
your opinion. i think dark colored cars look better with smoked tails, the darker the better.

Originally Posted by truoutkast
Redout = sexy and less headache with the PO PO. =)
again your opinion. but, really whose car are you driving yours? or the police?
Originally Posted by mikez
Not a fan of the tails.

Was following a M5 in the city with them the other day and nearly rear ended him cuz he accelerated so quick and came to a stop and I couldnt make out his brake light was on...
hmm seems like you were probably following very close. ive seen cars where there tailights are abosultely black like painted very very dark. light still comes out. or for people who want to have smoked tails and are paranoid, do what i do and swap out the turn signal bulbs and reverse lights to a high power LED bulb.

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
^^Persomally, that's why I am not a big fan of smoked tails.

While I agree that smoked tails are appealing to the eye and add a certain "look" to the car, having them, I believe, increases the likleyhood of getting rear-ended because the driver behind you doesn't see that your brake lights have been applied. A rear end collision is something I would like to prevent.

Now, you can debate all you want that a rear end collision is the fault of the driver approaching from behind; but when all is said and done it is you who has to live with a repaired rear end. And while I mean no offence to any collision repair centre in particular, I do believe that after a typical collision repair, your car is just not the same. Driving my car in less-than-perfect condition after a rear-end colision as the result of a driver not having seen me clearly, because of smoked tails, would really bother me; especially when I could have possibly avoided being hit.

Smoked tails modify the appearance of a car in a positve way; but the increased potential threat of a rear end collision and how I would feel about my car, I believe, offsets the benefits.
haha i know ppl who work in insurance, auto claims, when you rear end someone, it is almost always your fault no matter what. trying to say that the tailights were too dark or the car was too low or it was raised up too high, almost always does nothing for your case. if you want to apply that argument then why not apply it people who lower their cars a lot or to people who raise it up very high? point is, im willing to bet that most people who modify their 2IS do a good amount of modifications and how is one modification any worse then another? i mean if you are going to lower your car, put an exhuast on, then smoke your tailights, etc if a cop wants to harass you believe me they will. so, i always say if you do one mod might as well be happy and do what you want, forget about worrying about police.

and oh yeah i think cars that roll around with stock lights or redouts look boringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Old 04-10-09, 11:02 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah it was in stop and go, and since he was completely black tint I cant see infront of him and he took off and immediately came to a stop, so right when I got on the gas I noticed he was stop dead and I had to brake hard.

I am not saying who's fault it is if I rear end him lol, but you gotta know when people drive there's a lot of thing going on at once, and people will get distracted in their own thoughts or focus on something else (on the road I hope). Bright braking lights help snap their attention back in focus... better safe than getting hit right? But that dude's was so dim it looks like you taking a flash light to your palm and looking at it through the back of your hand, I swear to god I only knew he stopped from the speed I was closing in.

Needless to say, he was pulled over a block down the street lol
Old 04-10-09, 11:32 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radicalrev
loved them if they are done right.

Not too dark not too light, not vinyl, smooth and glossy
+1 if done right they will look nice... like mine

the ops.. are too dark for me it think..
Old 04-10-09, 11:55 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

^^what he said Overlays are overrated.. lol Just smoke it out lightly and you could still give it a stocky look. Heres a quick pic.. Three sprayed smoked with two extra spray on the orange corners and 6 total sprayed on the reflectors.

Quick Reply: Should I keep my Smoked Tail lights?