IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HOW to RETROFIT: NON NAVIGATION TO NAVIGATION

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 11:52 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MCL1
This is a great write up, but for only 3 hours worth of work and a total of around 2K if you do it yourself, you can have all this and more with the flyaudio system.... Just saying.
This is a great writeup. This is useful just for the pictures, even if you aren't installing a nav system.

haha Mark, I see you finally changed your name on CL. Glad you kept your picture though!
Old 12-23-09, 01:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MCL1
This is a great write up, but for only 3 hours worth of work and a total of around 2K if you do it yourself, you can have all this and more with the flyaudio system.... Just saying.
This thread started almost a full year before the flyaudio system was released. At the time it was the only option for having an OEM-quality fit for a navigation system.

Javier
Old 04-08-12, 02:04 PM
s2artfrase
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
Part 1,200,560 I forgot where I left off!

PICTURES COMING SOON!

Supplies:

1. more patience
2. needle nose pliers.
3. ratchet set
4. 4-6 terminals with long wire or short wire, depends if its prewired for voice.
5. eye glass repair kit screwdriver

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BACK SEATS AND TRUNK LINING, THIS IS OPTIONAL THERE ARE MANY OTHER PLACES TO RUN THE WIRES, I CHOSE TO DO THIS IN ORDER TO KEEP EVERYTHING LOOKING OEM, ANOTHER PLACE IS THROUGH THE DOOR SILLS WHICH IS A LOT EASIER.

HOW TO INSTALL VOICE GUIDANCE

pretty simple install once the trunk and back seats are removed, that is the time consuming part, the rest is a piece of cake.

1. To install voice guidance your vehicle may already be prewired. Check the center harness in the trunk hooked up to the amp. If you see a yellow and brown wire connected to pin 14 and 15 of that connector, then you will not have to remove the trunk lining or back seat. LUCKYYY YOU !!

********************PIC*********************

Im telling you this because, i was stupid and didn't realize that until after i had removed the trunk and back seat for no reason, although i went ahead and installed the 4 wires for my cam mod, so i guess it wasn't in vain.

2. You will need to simply connect 3 wires to the JP1 connector found in the center console. This is not that hard to get to, but you have to partially remove the center console which i'll explain.

HOW TO REMOVE THE CENTER CONSOLE TO ACCESS THE JP1
3. first remove the silver triming, ash tray, shift ****, and the center console.

I. after that remove the back seat air vent, it pops off and disconnect the wire harness back there as well. unscrew the two screws.

II. unscrew the two screws located in front of the arm rest, you should be able to see the JP1 connector down there, but you cant get to it just yet.

III. next unscrew the two screws, found under the CD payer, not the screw holding the cd player but the screws found between those sets of screws in the middle.

IV. that's it apply a little force and pull back on the center console, it will come aloose from the dash itself. its all one big piece that slides back, slide it back far enough so you'll have enough space to put the 3 wires into the connector.

V. brown 14 should go to _____ on the J51
yellow 15 should go to _____ on the J51
black tape __ should go to _____ on the J51

VI. youre all set, find a destination and press GUIDE and listen to your car talk to you .

HOW TO MODIFY TERMINALS FROM THE EXISTING CONNECTORS TO FIT INTO THE J51, JP1, AMP CONNECTOR

VI. using the needle nose pliers remove the right tab

VII. using the pliers flaten the bottom of the terminal by pinching it between the pliers.

VIII. remove the botom of the terminal, making the termial one piece of metal thick on all sides.

IX. mold the terminal with the pliers to get as a square as possible.

X. us the small screwdriver to feed the terminal into the connector until its completly inside and appears to look like the other connectors, make sure the terminal is inserted with the overhang piece at the top of the terminal.

PICTURES WILL BE ADDED THAT WILL MAKE THIS A LOT EASIER, IF YOUR SCARED TO DO THIS PART YOUR LOCAL DEALER WILL HAVE THE TERMINALS FOR $10 A PIECE, I KNOW THAT PRETTY EXPENSIVE.

*********Option II, you dont see a yellow and brown wire connected to the middle harness in the trunk. you have to do a little work today!***********

1. remove trunk lining and back seats (OPTIONAL), connect the terminals to existing AMP connector. You will need 3 terminals for this and a lot of wire.

slot 14 should go to _____ on the J51
slot 15 should go to _____ on the J51
slot __ should go to _____ on the J51

2. you can run the wires directly to the unit bypassing the JP1 connector which will make it much easier. you can then run these wires into the cabin from the AMP wire loom and to the center console to the NAV or up the floor boards, through the door sills which is ever is easier for you.

Whenever you install the voice guidance wires go ahead and leave 4 wire disconnected so you will not have to repeat the removal process, they should be ran from the trunk to the headunit as well.

Back Seat Removal for camera. 4 wires total from J51 red, black, white, white black.
Hi 350PsDMeuP, I followed the nav insatallation and it is great.
Hope you can help do you have part numbers for the terminals used in the J51 and the Q2 connectors. I am adding the reversing camera and need extra terminals with wires, Thanks S2
Old 03-28-13, 08:19 AM
joedr
Rookie

Hi!

Very interesting information!

I sourced the Nav system with both cables/connectors as shown below.

Where can I find the J53 plug that I think is needed? Also, besides the GPS antenna.... What else do I need to find?

Steering Controls? - http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/6135.html

Microphone? - What would you guys recommend?

Thanks to all in advanced!

PS: Sorry for bringing this topic from a year old recess. :-)
Old 03-23-14, 04:59 PM
rhdeg4lyfe
Driver School Candidate

I have a non nav 2007 lexus is250 and I am interested in swapping just the nav bezel.. is this plug n play? I wanna use a aftermarket double din...
Old 11-17-15, 07:41 PM
Westsai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the 2011 model has the same wiring as 2006/07 model?
I have been thinking about doing the swap, but since my 2011 model already came with bluetooth/mic/steering wheel buttons, i am now a bit confused and reluctant to start shopping for the parts.

And to rhdeg4lyfe:
if u are looking for an after market one that can be plugged and play, then you need the roadrover / lsqstar / flyaudio / china gps, they look identical to the OEM unit,
I would've just gone directly for these units since they are just plug and play... but unfortunately the production for this unit has stopped (alibaba/aliexpress are all sold out, i called)
Old 07-13-16, 02:23 AM
TwoFifty
Driver School Candidate

Default MY 2010 wiring

Originally Posted by Westsai
Does anyone know if the 2011 model has the same wiring as 2006/07 model?
I have been thinking about doing the swap, but since my 2011 model already came with bluetooth/mic/steering wheel buttons, i am now a bit confused and reluctant to start shopping for the parts.

And to rhdeg4lyfe:
if u are looking for an after market one that can be plugged and play, then you need the roadrover / lsqstar / flyaudio / china gps, they look identical to the OEM unit,
I would've just gone directly for these units since they are just plug and play... but unfortunately the production for this unit has stopped (alibaba/aliexpress are all sold out, i called)
I have exactly the same problem. Would have gone for one of the aftermarket plug and play units, but after months of search they seem impossible to get.

On the other hand there are plenty 2nd hand oem units on ebay, etc

Which leads me to same question as Westsai, has anyone done this for the 2010 and later model with preinstalled bluetooth/mic/steering wheel buttons?
Old 01-04-17, 08:06 AM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

anyone know of a how to on going from Navi to Non Navi controls?
Old 01-04-17, 10:10 AM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMGraphic
anyone know of a how to on going from Navi to Non Navi controls?
seems like you would have alot of useless wires if you do this. and a backup camera that you wont be able to view with a non navigation unit.
Old 05-07-17, 03:58 AM
Netwalker
Driver School Candidate

Hi all
I'm the owner of a non nav Lexus is 220d 2008..left steering one..
I went to the Lexus/Toyota for a retrofit to nav and they asked me for a 4500 Euros check.
When i told them why to much money..they said.
Materials
All new one Nav display/radio...all...
sensors
new mic
2 cameras
wire
cables
onboard computer ( new )
new parts has
new front grille..etc
lexus nav sys software.
Man power ( includ. installing the two cameras and some more sensors )
I thought the car already had pre-instalation off wiring only the periferic units were needed
Maybe is not alot...if the waranty lexus is there...anda even better sound
The following users liked this post:
RobLambo (06-22-20)
Old 08-19-18, 03:48 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank You!

Im still an avid Lexus enthusiasts but don’t have the time that I used to. Totally honored to see my post stickied... Woot Woot!
Old 08-19-18, 03:50 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Netwalker
Hi all
I'm the owner of a non nav Lexus is 220d 2008..left steering one..
I went to the Lexus/Toyota for a retrofit to nav and they asked me for a 4500 Euros check.
When i told them why to much money..they said.
Materials
All new one Nav display/radio...all...
sensors
new mic
2 cameras
wire
cables
onboard computer ( new )
new parts has
new front grille..etc
lexus nav sys software.
Man power ( includ. installing the two cameras and some more sensors )
I thought the car already had pre-instalation off wiring only the periferic units were needed
Maybe is not alot...if the waranty lexus is there...anda even better sound
its not pre wired, you will have to do some custom soldering, etc.
Old 08-19-18, 03:51 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808newbie
seems like you would have alot of useless wires if you do this. and a backup camera that you wont be able to view with a non navigation unit.
Yes, but why would you want to do this?

its pretty simple, but a lot of useless items and hardware.
Old 08-19-18, 03:54 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

The mic is in the sunroof dial and the steering wheel controls can be wired for the full navigation experience. You can find the parts at your local junk yard.

Originally Posted by joedr
Hi!

Very interesting information!

I sourced the Nav system with both cables/connectors as shown below.

Where can I find the J53 plug that I think is needed? Also, besides the GPS antenna.... What else do I need to find?

Steering Controls? - http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/6135.html

Microphone? - What would you guys recommend?

Thanks to all in advanced!

PS: Sorry for bringing this topic from a year old recess. :-)
Old 11-29-18, 01:09 AM
mkubo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity...

I'm sure you studied the schematics very carefully as you went through all of this, but instead of cutting/splicing wires, why didn't you create a pnp go-between harness so you could go back to stock at any time? I may attempt this install just for the fun of it on my ES but I'm thinking that if I'm going to go through all the trouble, I may as well create a pnp harness. Any reason you didn't?

Quick Reply: HOW to RETROFIT: NON NAVIGATION TO NAVIGATION