IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

List of Recalls (actually TSIB) - Alarming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 10:03 PM
Sodeti
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of Recalls (actually TSIB) - Alarming?

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my car in Oct 2008 and since then I have been reminded by a local dealership to come in to have work completed that is related to recalls. I am a bit alarmed at the amount of items being recalled, could someone provide their thoughts on whether I am over reacting or the IS350 is definitely full of errors!

One final comment, I was told by the dealership that my car has been impacted by recalls because it is a US model. They said that Canadian models have not been impacted to the same degree as US models. In addition, they suspected that US dealerships are using this as a revenue generator, in their words 'call them in for recall work and then point out non-recall work to generate revenue'. I dont know how much truth there is to this...

Here is a list of items either replaced or due to be replaced next week;

Front brakes/rotors - replaced both to reduce excessive brake dust
Dash noise - windshield clips replaced (didnt fix the issue)
Engine rattle during startup - replaced chain tension device
Rearview mirror shake - lose joint, replaced mirror
Steering recall - items to be replaced next week
Rear brake issues - something to do with calipers - will be done next week
Fuel rails - to be replaced next week

Thanks,

To clarify, I have a 2006 IS350, Premium Model. My car has 21,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Sodeti; 02-13-09 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 10:40 PM
zzang
Pole Position

I never knew there that many recalls for the xIS.
Old 02-12-09, 10:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well some like the brake dust wouldn't really be considered and many like the steering and rear break issues are isolated to only the 06s and early 07s...
Old 02-12-09, 10:44 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only a few recalls on 06-07's haven't heard any on 08's-09's and it's not that big of a deal, better then having a car dead every other day on the freeway hehe
Old 02-12-09, 11:02 PM
Sodeti
Rookie

Thanks for your input. I hope I am not coming across as being negative towards the ISx considering I have nothing to compare the list of recalls to other manufactures lists of recalls. I just figured, am I out to lunch thinking that this is a Lexus, where is the build quality everyone talks about...

I must admit, the good news is that the dealership actually wants me to have a better car, probably more than what other dealerships would offer...thanks Lexus.
Old 02-13-09, 12:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i got my 2008 is350 in october 2008 like you. the only TSIB i have had is for the brake dust and nothing else. the brake dust one, is something that doesnt need to be fixed, its optional. my center dash has been taken apart 4 times now. the doors two times. the under hood panels have been taken apart i think 8-9 times already. and no rattles anywhere.
Old 02-13-09, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodeti

Thanks,
Those are NOT recalls.

Those are Service bulletins, which are fixes to common complaints.

If you don't have those problems, then you're o.k.

However, if it is a true concern then get it fixed.

Some people want to change their rear view mirrors when they don't shake, or change their dusty brake pads even if they never wash their cars.
Old 02-13-09, 08:09 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my car in Oct 2008 and since then I have been reminded by a local dealership to come in to have work completed that is related to recalls. I am a bit alarmed at the amount of items being recalled, could someone provide their thoughts on whether I am over reacting or the IS350 is definitely full of errors!

One final comment, I was told by the dealership that my car has been impacted by recalls because it is a US model. They said that Canadian models have not been impacted to the same degree as US models. In addition, they suspected that US dealerships are using this as a revenue generator, in their words 'call them in for recall work and then point out non-recall work to generate revenue'. I dont know how much truth there is to this...

Thanks,
Personally, I kind of like having a car with 25k miles and getting some new parts free of charge.

Although I am surprised that Toyota quality has slipped, but the first model year in a new design, these things happen. It is good to see they are practively fixing the problem.

does anyone know exactly what gets replaced during these recalls? I am geting the steering rear caliper and fuel rails done next week.
Old 02-13-09, 08:12 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

yeah i noticed my front braked are really abd with dust i wash my car alot but it seems like i drive my car for a few mins and they are covered. What do i do to fix this do i just call lexus? and how do i find out about recalls on my car or service bulletins?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-13-09, 08:13 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

...In addition, they suspected that US dealerships are using this as a revenue generator, in their words 'call them in for recall work and then point out non-recall work to generate revenue'. I dont know how much truth there is to this...
True for me. I brought my car in for its 45k oil change at the Serramonte dealership in CA last week, and two days ago went in for a minor loose mudguard and both dealerships asked me to bring the car in for "recalls" as they put it for the rear brake caliper change and fuel rail change.

They said we should all be getting a letter from Lexus in the next two weeks.

Ravi
Old 02-13-09, 08:16 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

"Dash noise" - windshield clips replaced (didnt fix the issue)
I got tired of hearing it so now I spray between my dash and windsheild once a week with Dry silicon spray. ( Any thing would work. )

"Engine rattle during startup - replaced chain tension device"
This makes me nervous. I thought I heard it once, then I didn't hear it again. Could that be the case?

"Steering recall - items to be replaced next week" Another one that scares me. Can you give some details?

"Fuel rails - to be replaced next week" what's the deal here ? is this why I may expereince shaking occasionally?
Old 02-13-09, 08:26 AM
zzang
Pole Position

Economy is going bad. I think everywhere, they want to make stuff up just to get money. Well not make stuff up but yeah.
Old 02-13-09, 09:32 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big *****
"Dash noise"

"Engine rattle during startup - replaced chain tension device"
This makes me nervous. I thought I heard it once, then I didn't hear it again. Could that be the case?"
Having heard it once is enough for me, considering the job is fairly expensive to get done without warranty. I would suggest you have someone look at it...

"Steering recall - items to be replaced next week" Another one that scares me. Can you give some details?
From what I know, the steering becomes a bit stiffer at low speeds, which is the opposite of its normal behaviour. It should be easier to turn the wheel when in parking lots and the sort... Before the dealership had advised me that my car was due for a recall I had noticed this behaviour, but didnt want to look like a cheap ****** trying to get free stuff! lol Glad they realized it themselves.

"Fuel rails - to be replaced next week" what's the deal here ? is this why I may expereince shaking occasionally?
From previous posts it appears that high ethanol fuels can cause damage to fuel lines for the ISx so they are replacing them...

Last edited by Sodeti; 02-13-09 at 09:34 AM. Reason: My answers werent spearated from the questions...
Old 02-14-09, 01:36 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rinthiran
True for me. I brought my car in for its 45k oil change at the Serramonte dealership in CA last week, and two days ago went in for a minor loose mudguard and both dealerships asked me to bring the car in for "recalls" as they put it for the rear brake caliper change and fuel rail change.

They said we should all be getting a letter from Lexus in the next two weeks.

Ravi
the model you have an 2006 has had a lot of TSIB's, realitve to newer model IS. it is very likely that your car does need those to be fixed. the dealers make more $$ doing service work then warranty work. they most likely would rather do what makes them more $$$. plus they have the fuel rail thing to do for a bunch of other models. with all thats going on i seriously doubt the dealer is trying to "pull one" over you or suggest unnecessary service. even if you think they did you dont have to get any of it done if you dont want.

Originally Posted by zzang
Economy is going bad. I think everywhere, they want to make stuff up just to get money. Well not make stuff up but yeah.
i dont get my car serviced at the dealer, but i know my dealer is not trying to fleece people. i've seen all the fuel rail tsibs they have going on. ive also seen their shop, the actual work area. let's just say that the bays were still 75 percent full of cars even when they closed for the day. not enough business? i highly doubt it.
Old 02-14-09, 06:14 AM
TangoC
Driver School Candidate

The fuel pipe changeout has nothing to do with ethanol, it is the orientation of the seam weld in the fuel pipe that gives a risk of fatigue fracture. So far my 2006 250 in the UK has had the fuel pipe changed, the rear calipers changed (due to corroded sliders, a common fault apparently), the front rotors and pads changed (excessive dust), and the front seat belt recoilers.
Only the fuel pipe and the seat belt recoilers were a recall, the rest were fixed under warranty through a TSIB.
So far my car hasn't suffered from interior rattles, rattle at cold start up or the steering rack problem, all of which we have in the UK as TSIB's, so I don't believe the US dealers are doing it to generate income..

Quick Reply: List of Recalls (actually TSIB) - Alarming?