IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

should I trust my dealership to fill gas in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 10:44 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I trust my dealership to fill gas in the car?

I'm taking the car in next week for their "campaign" or the big recall in other words, and they advised me that they will need the car for 2 days. In the mean time, I will get a loaner and they will pay for my gas for the travelled distance. Now, my advisor told me that the best way is to go in when you're almost empty, and they will put gas in the car ( i assume they will fill up?)

my question is, I only fill up at Shell stations, and only V-power. If i let them do it, do you guys think they'll put other brand of gas in there or maybe even the lowest grade? there's no Shell near the dealership but there are others, so i'm not sure even if i tell them to fill up on shell v-power if they will listen and actually do it.
Old 02-12-09, 11:03 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

I have never been at the dealer for anything that required them to fill the gas tank, except when I bought the car new. The dealership here in Bellevue, WA. has their own Chevron pumps on site, so they dont have to go anywhere to gas the cars. Maybe yours has the same? Even if they dont and they put some gas in your car for your, I wouldnt worry about it, just use it, and put your own next time.. Its not that critical with this engine and the compression it runs. In the old days, before knock sensors, and computers altering the timing, you would know if you had the wrong gas, or the timing was too far advanced, today, the knock sensors dial that out if the gas is not burning long enough because its regular instead of premium. DanF
Old 02-12-09, 11:36 AM
JDub23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about this too as I got the recall letter and still have to make an appointment. My concern is if they will put premium or not. I would like to think that they would but there's always that little doubt.
Old 02-12-09, 11:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO don't worry about it. I had mine filled after they fixed it per fuel line recall.
Old 02-12-09, 11:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Their putting in less than 91 would be incompetent, since 91 is what the owners manual lists.

Their putting in a different brand would be irrelevant, since it won't make any difference.
Old 02-12-09, 12:06 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDub23
I've been thinking about this too as I got the recall letter and still have to make an appointment. My concern is if they will put premium or not. I would like to think that they would but there's always that little doubt.
JDub, i'm in toronto too, which dealership do you go to?
Old 02-12-09, 12:07 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

ok, thanks for clearing that up guys.
Old 02-12-09, 12:16 PM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

I scored 2 free tanks of gas for the three recalls since I had to go back to the dealer a second time because they had to order the steering rack part
Old 02-12-09, 12:48 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

nice, however, i still have doubts about mixing different gas together, i was always told it's not good. but in this case, what can you do? it's not their car, they could careless about it.
Old 02-12-09, 12:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexboi250
nice, however, i still have doubts about mixing different gas together, i was always told it's not good. but in this case, what can you do? it's not their car, they could careless about it.
Then you heard incorrectly.

Unless you're talking about mixing diesel it won't make the slightest bit of difference.
Old 02-12-09, 01:02 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i think they need to drain the fuel anyway? just go there with an empty tank and ask for a full tank of gas....
Old 02-12-09, 01:18 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

thats a good idea im going to call the dealer and ask them to fill mine up before i pick it up today. to the OP, if its free who cares what goes into it.
Old 02-12-09, 03:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Their putting in less than 91 would be incompetent, since 91 is what the owners manual lists.

Their putting in a different brand would be irrelevant, since it won't make any difference.
Agreed, premium. Yeah I'd prefer that they put in top-tier gasoline like Chevron, but one tank from the corner independent gas station won't make a bit of difference.
Old 02-12-09, 07:11 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

When I had this work done a week ago, I asked the guy if they would refill with 93 octane. I made sure to tell them that. Who knows if they did or not.
Old 02-12-09, 08:26 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

I just got my recall letter yesterday and made an appointment for next week. The Lexus rep said that they will need to service my vehicle for 2 days. When he told me to drive in with a near empty gas tank and claimed that they will provide a full tank as a courtesy, I was surprised yet excited about this recall. And that's not including getting a loaner vehicle for the duration of the service. What's the chance that I'll get an IS-F?

Lexboi, if you take your vehicle to Lexus of Richmond Hill they'll fill it up at Shell. It's located immediately adjacent to them. But, then again I can't guarantee that they will give you V-power. I can't see them being incompetent.

Quick Reply: should I trust my dealership to fill gas in the car?