IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Credit Card Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 03:07 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
I also bought a Card Key from Sewell and absolutely love it.
I was hoping though, with the 09's having a Card Key that they would finally make a metal key that can fit on the Card Key for the IS in case of emergencies.
I also have an extra battery hidden in the car just in case the card key's battery runs low or dies out.
how will you get inside the car to change the battery if the battery is dead and u can't open the door?
Old 01-23-09, 03:23 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
how will you get inside the car to change the battery if the battery is dead and u can't open the door?
Well, you should be bale to tell if the card is about to lose battery, ie: the door won't open on the first touch or the car won't start on the first press of the button. Now if that consistently happens, then I know it's time to change the battery, but do it before it completely runs out just to be safe.
Just a safety precaution in case of an emergency or I go somewhere where it might be impossible to find a battery that would fit the card key. Oh yeah, I also have one back-up battery in the office and house just in case.
Old 01-23-09, 03:30 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Well, you should be bale to tell if the card is about to lose battery, ie: the door won't open on the first touch or the car won't start on the first press of the button. Now if that consistently happens, then I know it's time to change the battery, but do it before it completely runs out just to be safe.
Just a safety precaution in case of an emergency or I go somewhere where it might be impossible to find a battery that would fit the card key. Oh yeah, I also have one back-up battery in the office and house just in case.
hmm to think about it, my cars been acting up. Sometimes it doesnt unlock the doors when I want it to. DOes it mean I'm loosing power or my battery's dying? Yeah I think i wouldnt be comfortable with the wallet key, cause if I loose my wallet then I might loose my damn car.
Old 01-23-09, 03:41 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

But like stated before, it's practically the same as losing your keys. You lose your keys, they can press the unlock button and locate the car. If they find a Card Key, very few people would think of approaching an IS, at least for people that would know cars. Or unless it is the only Lexus in the parking lot.

With the card key in hand, the person would have to go to every Lexus and slide in their hand in the door handle to see if its the right one. Heck some people may even just think it's a Lexus membership card. lol
Old 01-23-09, 03:48 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dealer programmed it for my 06. It works great. Dealer charge 55 dollars to programmed it. The only thing I don't like, there is no key. The LS key does not work on the IS. So when the battery died, you can't open the door.

Last edited by t.is350.h; 01-23-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:08 PM
johnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gator Alum
I've thought about getting one of these. Only problem is if you lose your wallet. Then whatever person finds it has your car key and your driver's license that tells where your car is...
Wow! I've never lost my wallet but I guess if I did my car would be where I was. If that was home, I would just have to keep looking until I found it. If it was elsewhere, then my car wouldn't be at home so the address on the license would be of no use to "finding" the car.

How about a chip that can be implanted under the skin to open and start the car? Pets get these RFID chips all the time now. It would be pretty hard to loose that!

John
Old 01-23-09, 06:30 PM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Where on Sewell site can I find the card key?
Old 01-23-09, 09:26 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
If you own a 08 model, the metal key can be cut so it works on your 2IS and you wont be locked out

Do a search in the vendor section, and i believe the GB code still exists and work.
Old 01-24-09, 05:04 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfsUP
Where on Sewell site can I find the card key?
Here:

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...d=187179&all=Y

Lou
Old 01-24-09, 05:44 AM
LazyLagger
Rookie

damn thats nice
Old 01-24-09, 07:10 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

But like stated before, it's practically the same as losing your keys. You lose your keys, they can press the unlock button and locate the car. If they find a Card Key, very few people would think of approaching an IS, at least for people that would know cars. Or unless it is the only Lexus in the parking lot.
If you lose your keys, it is not associated with an address. So in my opinion it is very different. If I lost my keys in the mall, I could just get my car home somehow and I would feel reasonably comfortable that whoever had my key would never find where I lived. If they had my address and my key though, who knows when they would come to my house to get my car. Or even better, just follow me to work one day and take it from my office.

Originally Posted by johnch
Wow! I've never lost my wallet but I guess if I did my car would be where I was. If that was home, I would just have to keep looking until I found it. If it was elsewhere, then my car wouldn't be at home so the address on the license would be of no use to "finding" the car.
Just because you lose your wallet in say a bar for example, your car would be at the bar and the license has your home address. You would get your car home somehow (towing, go get spare key) and unless you get your entire car re-keyed whoever found your wallet could just go to your house a few days later and take your car.

I only bring this up because it happened to a friend of mine. She had her some other keys in her car when her car was stolen. The next week the people came back to her house (address on registration) and took her dad's car because the keys were in her car.
Old 01-24-09, 10:24 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Geez, what about giving the people a benefit of a doubt? Your experience is different because the car was stolen on the get go. So they had the address and found another car they can steal.

I'm pretty sure that odds are, if someone finds your wallet and even if they know that the card if a Lexus Card Key, that they will not even attempt and steal it. Of course it is always good to be safe just in case but I don't think many of people even know that Card Key's exist, yet alone for an IS.
Old 01-24-09, 11:00 AM
MY2J
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gator Alum
I've thought about getting one of these. Only problem is if you lose your wallet. Then whatever person finds it has your car key and your driver's license that tells where your car is...
LoJack is beautiful my friend... if the car moves without the transponder then the alarm gets triggered
Old 01-24-09, 03:12 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

I'm not saying that someone is definitely going to steal the car, it's just something to think about, that's all...
Old 05-17-09, 06:56 PM
ISKIDD808
Driver

this is neat, did anyone pick this up from sewell yet?

Quick Reply: Credit Card Key