IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is disappointment with IS250 AWD's performance in snow due to car/tires/conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 09:31 AM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is disappointment with IS250 AWD's performance in snow due to car/tires/conditions?

Let me first preface this post by telling you that I have quite a lot of experience driving AWD cars in all types of snow/ice conditions. I currently also own a 2002 Mountaineer AWD. My previous 2 daily drivers were an Audi A6 2.7t MT and an 04 S4.

So last night I'm driving down a back road( Snow ECT ON). 28 degrees with 1/2 " of gently falling snow(the first of the season). Daily temp MIGHT have reaches 33 degrees? I'm travelling @15-20 mph with 3 passengers. Going around a 90 degree right hand corner (which I slowed down before entry) . Just through the corner and car is now going sideways. After I tell the yelling and screaming passengers, to "SHUT UP!!!", I am able to get the car under control. Fortunately there was no one on the road.

I really did not expect to lose control under those conditions. Also I am well aware that an AWD car is only as good as the tires. My car has 5k miles on the OEM A/S 17" Bridgestones. I have previously replaced those tires on my daughter's IS250 AWD and it seems to go much better in the snow with the Contis Extreme Contacts then it did with the OEM.

Not sure whether I would have lost control with the Audis or Mountaineer in the same situation. Ran Goodyear,Firestone and currently running Yokohama Geo Landers on the Mountaineer. Ran Bridgestone A/S, Conti Extreme Contacts , and Kuhn Ecsta ASX tires on the Audis.

So do you think it was the car, the tires, the conditions, or a combination of factors that caused the loss of control of the car?
Old 12-07-08, 09:52 AM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

Owned my car for a day and this is the 2nd thread I've read already about being upset with the awd system. I am in Kansas and we tend to get nasty snow and ice...I'm a bit nervous now. Yikes! I figured Lexus would have a great awd system especially with their offroading suv history. hmmmmm
Old 12-07-08, 10:03 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion: Circumstance >= Tires >> Car. A "sharp" (albeit controlled) turn on a decline covered with fresh snow at the freezing point is probably too much for most A/S tires to handle, so I'm not surprised the car "broke away".

My previous Audi A4 with all-seasons would have likely performed in a similar manner. If you're in the snow-belt and have to contend with long winters, a set of dedicated snow tires (I have Dunlop Winter Sports) is a very high-yield investment.
Old 12-07-08, 10:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I lost control of my AWD yesterday as well, coming home the bridge was frozen and people started to lose control after they braked to slow down, I have high performance all season Kumho's so I was able to slow down to about 10mph before I started to slide sideways to a stop.

Got extremely lucky, with the exception to the car in front of me, and everyone behind me, everyone in front us was in a pile up with the opposing traffic

But my experience with the stock Bridgestone was horrible, I made a 90 degree turn from a stop on a red light and I spun out completely on a slushy day.
Old 12-07-08, 12:00 PM
A/C
Driver

I gotta upset you guys, but AWD cars slow down just like RWD and FWD )) Also don't expect any real performance in snow from all season tires. From my experience AS-tires have very poor grip on dry summer roads, but in snow (especially REAL snow) they are the tool for suicide.

This season we've had only 2 days of really snowy weather so far, but I used them to the full extent to do some power-driving and was very pleased with the traction and grip (tires are winter Nokian hakkapeliitta R 225/45/17 all around), while RWD is250 were sweeping the road with their rears. Just be careful with the VSC, it kicks in actively after 1 second of slipping and may surprise you pretty hard.
Old 12-07-08, 12:24 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i'm in Toronto Canada, and lately it's been pretty bad with snow, icy roads and weather. I have Michilen Pilot Alpine PA2 winter tires, and it grips great on the road. I still don't trust my car with A/S tires even it's AWD.
Old 12-07-08, 12:41 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

It's all about the tires. Get yourself a set of dedicated winter ones if you plan on daily driving in the elements. Icy conditions can overwhelm even the most advanced AWD systems.
Old 12-07-08, 12:50 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by A/C
I gotta upset you guys, but AWD cars slow down just like RWD and FWD )) Also don't expect any real performance in snow from all season tires. From my experience AS-tires have very poor grip on dry summer roads, but in snow (especially REAL snow) they are the tool for suicide.

This season we've had only 2 days of really snowy weather so far, but I used them to the full extent to do some power-driving and was very pleased with the traction and grip (tires are winter Nokian hakkapeliitta R 225/45/17 all around), while RWD is250 were sweeping the road with their rears. Just be careful with the VSC, it kicks in actively after 1 second of slipping and may surprise you pretty hard.
I know it doesnt matter AWD drive or not, its just interesting to lose control in one lol. I dont depend on it to save me, but the thing with most all wheel drive cars is they manage to grip quite well with a good system and when it is indeed time to let go, they do so quite suddenly as well catching you completely off guard
Old 12-07-08, 01:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Let me first preface this post by telling you that I have quite a lot of experience driving AWD cars in all types of snow/ice conditions. I currently also own a 2002 Mountaineer AWD. My previous 2 daily drivers were an Audi A6 2.7t MT and an 04 S4.

So last night I'm driving down a back road( Snow ECT ON). 28 degrees with 1/2 " of gently falling snow(the first of the season). Daily temp MIGHT have reaches 33 degrees? I'm travelling @15-20 mph with 3 passengers. Going around a 90 degree right hand corner (which I slowed down before entry) . Just through the corner and car is now going sideways. After I tell the yelling and screaming passengers, to "SHUT UP!!!", I am able to get the car under control. Fortunately there was no one on the road.

I really did not expect to lose control under those conditions. Also I am well aware that an AWD car is only as good as the tires. My car has 5k miles on the OEM A/S 17" Bridgestones. I have previously replaced those tires on my daughter's IS250 AWD and it seems to go much better in the snow with the Contis Extreme Contacts then it did with the OEM.

Not sure whether I would have lost control with the Audis or Mountaineer in the same situation. Ran Goodyear,Firestone and currently running Yokohama Geo Landers on the Mountaineer. Ran Bridgestone A/S, Conti Extreme Contacts , and Kuhn Ecsta ASX tires on the Audis.

So do you think it was the car, the tires, the conditions, or a combination of factors that caused the loss of control of the car?
If you look at the ratings on tirerack.com for the OEM Bridgestones, among the many categories of subpar ratings is snow performance.
Old 12-07-08, 01:55 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so far so good with my bridgestone blizzaks and im not in a AWD car. lol. my car is in the shop still waiting for its return. can't wait for the snow. w00t! i think the stock dunlops are better in the snow then those bridgestone, from a stock perspective. i am changing tires to bridgestone blizzaks once my car is out.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 12-07-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 02:55 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
Old 12-07-08, 03:02 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem this past winter with 250 AWD and then dumped the Dunlops for Continental Extreme Contacts. Waaaa Lahhh, no more sliding in turns even going 10mph. I am not a fan of Dunlops at all.
Old 12-07-08, 03:23 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I had the same problem this past winter with 250 AWD and then dumped the Dunlops for Continental Extreme Contacts. Waaaa Lahhh, no more sliding in turns even going 10mph. I am not a fan of Dunlops at all.
I take it you're referring to the OEM A/S Dunlops that came with the vehicle? Because the Winter Sports (3D and M3) are, IMO, fantastic snow tires...
Old 12-07-08, 03:57 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I take it you're referring to the OEM A/S Dunlops that came with the vehicle? Because the Winter Sports (3D and M3) are, IMO, fantastic snow tires...
Yes,

They were the OEM Dunlop A/S. I am not a fan of any Dunlop tire as they wear out too fast and cost an arm and a leg IMO.
Old 12-07-08, 04:45 PM
elapid
Driver School Candidate

Same thing happened to me twice recently in my 250 AWD with Bridgestone AS OEM's. I've also had an A4 with AS tires and it didn't spin out so easily as the 250 does. Wish I could afford some Blizzaks.

Quick Reply: Is disappointment with IS250 AWD's performance in snow due to car/tires/conditions?