Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY JDM LED Side Signal Mirror Covers *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 03:42 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i can do that now thanks to you guys. Great DIY.
Old 11-28-08, 05:31 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good! Glad my thread helped.
Old 11-28-08, 09:44 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap! Those mirrors are a lot of work, but they look awesome!
Old 11-29-08, 06:02 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
Holy crap! Those mirrors are a lot of work, but they look awesome!
no they are not trust me....I did both sides in under an hour for the 1st ever to install them on the 2is on here This is the 2nd member to find the wires inside the car but really it will take just as much time to do it either way. My choice is for the wires to be inside the car for a cleaner look as you will never see the wires. but you couldnt tell I had the wires under my hood either. My pics where just not so good Thats why Javier is the 2IS photo king

I am going to do this to the GS very soon to see if its harder due to the auto mirrors. I am more hesitant with this car as I dont want to mess that feature up I wish they had done that on the IS Nice when you cant get a parking spot of choice! This should be the addition to this thread Someone making the IS mirrors auto-fold
Old 12-01-08, 07:41 AM
Mr. IS350
Driver

That is a great write up! Thank you for doing all that and taking pics to go with it.
Old 12-03-08, 03:53 PM
50ISF50
Rookie

Awesome DIY. Where did you get the mirror covers? Thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 03:58 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 50ISF50
Awesome DIY. Where did you get the mirror covers? Thanks.
Many NorCal folks got them from ebay but check the vendor classifieds, there is somebody there selling it at a cheaper price.
Old 12-08-08, 09:16 AM
Mr. IS350
Driver

So as far as the wiring goes on the pictures it looks to me as if he tapped both lights into the same wire on the drivers side? Which is why he rain the on wire from the passenger side to the driver side right? Maybe I'm just confused but could someone clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-08, 10:29 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. IS350
So as far as the wiring goes on the pictures it looks to me as if he tapped both lights into the same wire on the drivers side? Which is why he rain the on wire from the passenger side to the driver side right? Maybe I'm just confused but could someone clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.
Please refer to the description in step 32.

There it states that you need to tap the driver side to a green wire and the passenger side to a red wire. Both wires are medium sized which I found both to be near the bottom of the pile of wires. Blinker wires do not exist on the passenger side, which is why you must route it to the driver side. In the picture, the two wires are separated with my finger and you can see how I already tapped and taped the driver side to the green wire.
Old 12-08-08, 11:48 AM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Mister T
Please refer to the description in step 32.

There it states that you need to tap the driver side to a green wire and the passenger side to a red wire. Both wires are medium sized which I found both to be near the bottom of the pile of wires. Blinker wires do not exist on the passenger side, which is why you must route it to the driver side. In the picture, the two wires are separated with my finger and you can see how I already tapped and taped the driver side to the green wire.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the clarification. My covers have been shipped and should be here by the end of the week so I will be doing this mod over the weekend. I've been studying the thread over and over to make sure I get the installation correctly. Once again I appreciate the reply!
Old 12-08-08, 11:50 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Many NorCal folks got them from ebay but check the vendor classifieds, there is somebody there selling it at a cheaper price.
are you talking about me? haha
Old 12-08-08, 01:10 PM
A/C
Driver

I've just had these LED mirrors installed by workshop guys.
One important notice for you all to consider. You actually don't have to connect the passenger side mirror to drivers side wiring )) There is some wiring for the passenger side turn signal, its located somewhere under the glove box. In order to get to it you'll have to disassemble the whole glove box and panels under it. Both ways are of about equal time consuption, but "the glove box way" is much cleaner.

You'll have to look at the electrics scheme in order to locate the proper place to connect the wirse, from what I saw the interactive scheme was located on Toyota web site somewhere and proper workshops (not only stealers) have access to it.

In my case two guys did it in about 2 hours, but they did the wiring very very clean. Total price was 100$ for mirror installation and 100$ for painting.
Old 12-08-08, 01:49 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nigelchow
are you talking about me? haha
Maybe.

Originally Posted by A/C
I've just had these LED mirrors installed by workshop guys.
One important notice for you all to consider. You actually don't have to connect the passenger side mirror to drivers side wiring )) There is some wiring for the passenger side turn signal, its located somewhere under the glove box. In order to get to it you'll have to disassemble the whole glove box and panels under it. Both ways are of about equal time consuption, but "the glove box way" is much cleaner.

You'll have to look at the electrics scheme in order to locate the proper place to connect the wirse, from what I saw the interactive scheme was located on Toyota web site somewhere and proper workshops (not only stealers) have access to it.

In my case two guys did it in about 2 hours, but they did the wiring very very clean. Total price was 100$ for mirror installation and 100$ for painting.
Good info about the glove box method but we need more details on that. And about that being a cleaner solution, I dunno...using this DIY there is absolutely no wire visible once it's all done. I just don't think it can be cleaner.
Old 12-08-08, 02:17 PM
A/C
Driver

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Maybe.

Good info about the glove box method but we need more details on that. And about that being a cleaner solution, I dunno...using this DIY there is absolutely no wire visible once it's all done. I just don't think it can be cleaner.
It looks clean for the DIY but when it comes to wiring I prefer wires to stay in safe places and well isolated its PROBABLY not the case for turn signal wires (because of low power) but leaving an electric wire in a place near foot rest, steering column and carpet all together can lead to sparks and fire (P.S. and no I'm not paranoid )
Old 12-08-08, 08:11 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Great DIY! Now I can use this when nigel sends me the mirror covers!

Still a bit worried about the wires though.

Quick Reply: DIY JDM LED Side Signal Mirror Covers *56K Warning*