IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer tried to charge for changing personalized settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
tfz_hebe89, so was this car less than 1 year old?
Yeah, there's a lot missing in the OP's thread. The first 1-month check up and 5000 service is free and the personal settings can be done there at no charge. Anything after that and I thought they can charge. If she didn't meet the above requirements, I can't say the dealer was really in the wrong. Certainly not nice, but not wrong.
Old 11-02-08, 12:22 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
No, this car is an 06 with 35k miles.. It's more than 1 year old..

CAIFAN64, the owner never changed the settings at all during the entire ownership of the car.
Whoa, an '06 with 35k? That should not be free. The LPS sheet that the original owner got when they purchased the car stipulates it can be done within the first year of ownership. It's asking a lot to come in 3 years later and wanting it to be done for free, imo.

The 'unlock all doors using keyless entry' function is an option the owner can change, it is in the manual. The 'turn off seat belt alarm' is NOT an LPS item. Most dealers won't touch that option since it is clear safety feature. That is one that can be done by the owner, and most dealer's won't even know how to do it. It's a rogue item. Do a search and you'll find out how to do it yourself.

I don't think the dealer was obligated to do your request at this late date. Maybe they could have handled it better, but I don't disagree with their decision.
Old 11-02-08, 12:23 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personalized settings are free ONLY at the first service.
Old 11-02-08, 12:29 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
correction... you get a free service before 5000 miles.. LPS settings within a year from purchase date.
Old 11-02-08, 12:33 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
From the Lexus Website:

Certain electronic functions can be customized to an owner's individual preference, such as automatic door locks, theft-deterrent system, power window system, illuminated entry system and moonroof operation. Each Lexus model has a different set of customizable electronic features. Programming of these features is performed once at no charge at the 30 day/1,000 mile scheduled maintenance service (2008 models only), or within 12 months of the vehicle's in-service date.

Prior model years gave the owner one year to do the settings.
Old 11-02-08, 01:33 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every dealer is different. the dealer near me i think wouldnt charge me and the dealer i got my latest car from i dont think would charge me either.
Old 11-02-08, 01:35 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
From the Lexus Website:

Certain electronic functions can be customized to an owner's individual preference, such as automatic door locks, theft-deterrent system, power window system, illuminated entry system and moonroof operation. Each Lexus model has a different set of customizable electronic features. Programming of these features is performed once at no charge at the 30 day/1,000 mile scheduled maintenance service (2008 models only), or within 12 months of the vehicle's in-service date.

so it's one year huh? Oh well.. When I asked the SA he didn't mention this..instead he said takes time to do this and labor costs.. It shows the SA's lack of knowledge..and unfriendliness

I guess Magnussen is just and better when it comes to service. They would do it as a complimentary service at any miles..that's what the service person told me..
Old 11-02-08, 11:28 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
From the Lexus Website:

And every dealer I know will do it for free at the first service, or whenever, once, and then after that it's a labor charge.
Old 11-02-08, 12:07 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is350jonny
when she bought the car they should have a peice of paper for LPS settings.. its says FREE LPS change within 30days of purchase.. i can help ur friend out with the 2 of the 3 if u want to bring her by next mini meet.. why would u want to UNlock doors when in drive at 13mph?
Yeup i got that piece of paper too...Just check everything you want done and they will do it for free...In the manual it should tell you all the procedures you need to do to all the personalized settings you want. You can always wait until next oil change or service at the dealership to have it done for free.
Old 11-02-08, 01:13 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

so it's one year huh? Oh well.. When I asked the SA he didn't mention this..instead he said takes time to do this and labor costs.. It shows the SA's lack of knowledge..and unfriendliness

I guess Magnussen is just and better when it comes to service. They would do it as a complimentary service at any miles..that's what the service person told me..
Time and labor costs are totally legitmate reasons. Frankly, I feel sorry for SA's...I cannot even begin to imagine the crap they deal with.

Would you work on a car for free after it's three years old and well outside of the window for adjustments?
Old 11-02-08, 01:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion, if the SA explained the conditions to be eligible for the complimentary service, then this misconception/misunderstanding would have been prevented.

Due to their ignorance and/or lack of explanation, it has detrimentally affected their reputation.

Oh well. As for me, I have had horrible experience with Stevens Creek Lexus time after time and I do not plan to go back until their staffing changes.
Old 11-02-08, 04:27 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I LOL when I clicked the thread and read the OP's post.

Like others have said, its only free for the 1 yr or 5k. 06 with 35k is well over that. Features like that can be done without the dealer, just look for the correct instructions.

This is sort of like TPMS programming, people think it should be free ($100+) but its still a service and the dealers need to make money. I got mine for free with some persuasion, plus I have a very cool and nice SA.
Old 11-03-08, 01:46 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

At Lexus of Seattle, it's free every single time.

And I mean every single time. Not "within the first year," or "only at the first service."

Over the last two years I've had my car, they've changed things for free whenever I want.

Not only that, but once I had a nail in the tire, and they took the nail out and patched up the tire for free, too.

But that's because there are some really good people who work there.
Old 11-03-08, 02:11 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn...i was wondering to take to a dealer to turn off my drl light during the day....i guess i have to pay it now...haizzz
Old 11-03-08, 04:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yesterday I accompanied my friend who owns an IS350 to Lexus Stevens Creek service dept to get her personalized settings changed. She basically wants the "unlock all doors using keyless entry", "lock doors automatically at 13mph in D position" and turn off seat belt alarm. We were hooked up to a service advisor and we mentioned our inquiries.

The service advisor said there's a charge in doing that. And I was like..What?? I said to him I thought it's a complimentary service for Lexus owners. Then he said NO, it takes time for the tech to do that..there's a labor charge. I said my point again that it should be free and he again denied it. then I said, can you show me where it says it's not free? Then he replied..so can you tell me where it says complimentary? I can't believe he said that to me.. He also mentioned if it's only ONE setting that needs to be changed, then he can do it for free, otherwise there's a charge. Man..I don't get it..if he can do 1 for free..why not 2 or 3? This SA is just BS-ing to me.. maybe he saw me and my friend are still young kids, and he tried rip us off...

So my friend ended up not doing it. Later I called 1800-25-LEXUS, the person said it's a dealer thing. there's no fixed policy for this..
But when I did mine at Magnussen's Lexus at Fremont, they more than welcome me to do it, at NO charge. They even accept walk-ins for this..basically it's a fast and easy thing to do..what about CL members here? I believe none of your paid for this LPS thing..

So I thought maybe that SA is a biatch, and later called LExus stevens creek service dept. The person who answered the call said "I dont think so" when I asked about whether there's a charge. Then she asked me to hold, when she came back on she said there's a minimum charge of $65 of labor for this...unless if it;s done together with a major service (30k or more) WHAT A RIP OFF!! I asked where she got that info..she said from one of the SA on duty.. I dunno what else to say..I believe the SA at this dealership is who try to rip ppl off..

enough of venting. I asked my friend to go to Fremont for this..

edit: the car is an 06 with 35k miles.. when I did mine at 8k ish miles at Magnussen, they were more than welcome to accept it at no charge
There absolutely is a fixed policy--your first adjustment is free if you have it done at the 1000 mi service. Used to be, when I bought my '07, that the first adjustment was free if it was done in the first 12 months. AFTER that, the dealer sets the policy.

Quick Reply: Dealer tried to charge for changing personalized settings