Originally Posted by llamaboiz
you need to stop worrying
Didn't we talk about this already VIS250

YOU WILL BE FINE/....
Old 10-02-08, 07:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree and say its not safe to have anything over 3mm on this car with out extending the bolts. I tried it on the 350 and you DONT get enough turns. The bolt on ones are a good way to avoid chaning the studs but a min of 15mm is required to do this. Why not just slap a generic 3mm spacer on and play it safe.

John here are the pics of the bolt on for reference and anyone else that is curios. Ichiba makes them and many places can get them. put them on the IS before I traded it in and they where perfect IMO. Another member on here is running them on his SC with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails ~Is it Safe rolling on 5mm Spacer Disc?~-top01.jpg  
Old 10-02-08, 07:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

here is another pic...so they bolt to your OEM studs if you look closely.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-08, 09:15 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get it now!! haha
Old 10-02-08, 11:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok ok to settle this once n for all...

just buy NEW rims with the correct offsets
Old 10-03-08, 12:22 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I disagree and say its not safe to have anything over 3mm on this car with out extending the bolts. I tried it on the 350 and you DONT get enough turns. The bolt on ones are a good way to avoid chaning the studs but a min of 15mm is required to do this. Why not just slap a generic 3mm spacer on and play it safe.

John here are the pics of the bolt on for reference and anyone else that is curios. Ichiba makes them and many places can get them. put them on the IS before I traded it in and they where perfect IMO. Another member on here is running them on his SC with no problems.
While 'how many turns' you get depends greatly on what kind of wheels and lug nuts you're using, this simply isn't true. I've repeatedly gotten more than enough turns to properly secure a front wheel using a 5mm spacer. I verified this by first using an open-ended nut to see exactly how much thread I had running through the lug nut.

Javier
Old 10-03-08, 10:39 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On OEM wheels the 5mm spacer will be fine. However, the wheel will not be hub centric if you do so. I have yet to find a hub centric 5mm wheel spacer.

I'm running the stock size tires on my IS350 (18") and I'm running 15mm rear H&R hub centric spacers. It comes with the longer wheel studs. Installing them would involve removing the rear calipers and rotors but is fairly easy and could be reversed. I'm debating about doing the front with some 10mm spacers also from H&R.

I don't trust the ones that bolt to your hub and are equipped with studs to have the wheel bolt to. Not only do you often need to cut/shorten the OEM studs but the special flush nut that they provide are not of proper length. Not to mention servicing the brakes, hub and/or wheel bearing becomes a royal pain in the a$$.
Old 10-03-08, 05:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
While 'how many turns' you get depends greatly on what kind of wheels and lug nuts you're using, this simply isn't true. I've repeatedly gotten more than enough turns to properly secure a front wheel using a 5mm spacer. I verified this by first using an open-ended nut to see exactly how much thread I had running through the lug nut.

Javier
Javier- How many turns, regardless of wheel or bolt, does this car require? To the best of my knowledge and research it needs a min of 7 full turns. I was at the dealer with the Work rims and had to install a 5mm spacer. They told me that it was not safe at all. I know these guys personally for years and they are up front with me. If it was doable these guys would have told me to slap them on and go on with it. I think with the Work rims I only got ~4 full turns if I recall correctly. We even called work and they said there was no other "style" bolt that would allow me to get any more full turns. I also had my guy at Discount Tire work on it and they came back with the exact same info that I got from the dealer and from Work Wheels in CA.

I am no expert here by any means and I am not a certified tech. Either way just do what is safe or you feel is safe. I personally wouldnt suggest it to anyone.

Originally Posted by carchitect
On OEM wheels the 5mm spacer will be fine. However, the wheel will not be hub centric if you do so. I have yet to find a hub centric 5mm wheel spacer.

I'm running the stock size tires on my IS350 (18") and I'm running 15mm rear H&R hub centric spacers. It comes with the longer wheel studs. Installing them would involve removing the rear calipers and rotors but is fairly easy and could be reversed. I'm debating about doing the front with some 10mm spacers also from H&R.

I don't trust the ones that bolt to your hub and are equipped with studs to have the wheel bolt to. Not only do you often need to cut/shorten the OEM studs but the special flush nut that they provide are not of proper length. Not to mention servicing the brakes, hub and/or wheel bearing becomes a royal pain in the a$$.
I agree that the bolt on ones could be unsafe. I liked how convenient they where but I must say I was fearful of something happening. I pushed the car hard in some turns and didn't have one problem. Of course that was not long term either.

Joe- How many turns does the car need to be safe? figure you are a tech and have the info and now what is safe and what is pushing it. I am curious for the GS also on what to do for rims. PM me if you would
Old 10-03-08, 06:48 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rule of thumb is 4 full turns off... Not sure how many turns that would be on
Old 10-03-08, 09:21 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
you need to stop worrying