IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

G-Spiders On

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 04:22 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
I'll try to keep that weekend open (depends on my money situation - hopefully I won't have to work for my brother that weekend).
work?

oh yeah that thing we do to support our modding habit.
Old 08-26-08, 05:43 PM
Harrisch
Driver School Candidate

I'll try to keep that weekend open (depends on my money situation - hopefully I won't have to work for my brother that weekend).

I had the stock ISX50 08 Lexus wheels before these. The ride feels the same as it did with the stock wheels. Actually the stock wheels weigh a little bit more than the G-spiders. Check out the specs from Sewell:

Stock: front/rear

G-Spiders: front rear

haha i made the mistake of assuming that you had the 17's like i do...but thats awesome that the g spiders are actually lighter...i wouldnt expect the ride to be any different -- but did you get new tires as well, or just swap the wheels?

at any rate, the car does look gorgeous, congrats!
Old 08-26-08, 06:41 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slee18
work?

oh yeah that thing we do to support our modding habit.
It's weird working for my brother. Usually he's a fun person, but at work, he's a hard ***. I am glad it's not my full-time job.

Originally Posted by Harrisch
haha i made the mistake of assuming that you had the 17's like i do...but thats awesome that the g spiders are actually lighter...i wouldnt expect the ride to be any different -- but did you get new tires as well, or just swap the wheels?

at any rate, the car does look gorgeous, congrats!
Thank You! I only have 5k on my car, so I kept the same tires (wheels are the same set up as stock). I am not too thrilled with my stock tires, but I'll use them until I need a new set.
Old 08-26-08, 11:40 PM
Kayo
Rookie

Well my G Spyder experience didn't go so well. When I purchased my IS350 I got winters put on the stock and the all-seasons on the G Spyders. Back in May I switched to the summer tires. (it's Canada)

After about 300-500 kilometres and went to the dealership for my first oil change. When I showed up they didn't say a thing. As I walked out to the vehicle I noticed the rims were blackened like spray paint. I tried to rub it off with my fingers and saw that it was permanent!!! ACK!!

So I went back into the service rep and said I had a problem. He said it was a result of something I did!!! I said that is not possible that they were BRAND new. Then the detail rep ran over and claimed it was from tire shine, which I did not use. They in fact had put tire shine on the tires.

Then it went into limbo and someone was SUPPOSED to get back to me in a 2 days. When no one did, I called the Service Manager to complain about the situation. As it was last left with them, it was me who had ruined the new rims. The service manager called me back a day later to say they were already dealing with it, and it was the PARTS MANAGER that the RIMS were going to be replace ONE time by Lexus on my behalf. Okay but i was calling you because

1) You didn't get back to me when you said you would.
2) I had to walk out to the car and discover the ruined rims and wasn't
advised.
3) Lexus of Canada shouldn't be replacing my rims your dealership should.
4) I purchased the rims for summer enjoyment, replace em tout suite.

My whole point in calling the SM was that they were not being forthright. What else unnerved me is when I got a hold of the PARTS MANAGER said it was their fault. While the claim was going against lexus of Canada on my behalf they would be replaced if ruined by the dealership again. He verified it was some acid wash on the new 08' spyder rims and an acrylic overlay that caused the problem. Does this sound underhanded? They are using my goodwill to correct THEIR problem. Well at least he was honest.

Needless to say, it's been over 2 and a half months, and i'm getting my rims and TSIB on brakepads done tomorrow for low dust.

This is just a warning to be extra careful on 08' rims.

Attached is the picture... all 4 are this way. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. And yes those black stains are permanent.
Attached Thumbnails G-Spiders On-front-right-1_2.jpg  
Old 08-27-08, 12:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Last weekend, I took off my stock wheels and replaced them with some G-Spiders. Sorry for my bad picture skills (we all can't be as talented as Javy). Yes, I know my car needs a drop...so no need to tell me.

Probably the nicest rims for the IS in my opinion.
Old 08-27-08, 01:01 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
How is it overpriced? They're like $250 a piece. making it just a grand for the whole set. You can sell the OEM 18 Liquids for about $6-7 depending on how much beef you've left on the tires. So you only need another couple hundred + tires! It really isn't that bad..
Little E got a killer deal on her liquid graphite G-Spiders.

Black chrome G-Spiders, as quoted from my dealership (Magnussen), will run $1,800+ and I have to trade-in my stocks as a core.

You do the math.

Last edited by Mister T; 08-27-08 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-27-08, 03:17 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great!
Old 08-27-08, 09:33 AM
Harrisch
Driver School Candidate

Thank You! I only have 5k on my car, so I kept the same tires (wheels are the same set up as stock). I am not too thrilled with my stock tires, but I'll use them until I need a new set.
thats awesome - if you have the RE92's they wear out pretty quick, i think they have a treadwear of only 160......my car is just coming up on 15000 miles and those tires are just winding down....

thankfully, im expecting four big boxes from tire rack today
Old 08-27-08, 10:32 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you combine the break dust issue along with silicone from tire spray and the heat produced from braking, these three elements will be destructive the the wheel finish. Salt only doubles the damage. Wheels should be cleaned at least once a week. I bet the porter carelessly sprayed the tire gel on the wheels and did not wipe off. I am glad they are replacing these for you. The TSIB will help and prove to be the same efficiency in braking combined with less dust.
Old 08-27-08, 12:55 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Kayo - That sucks to hear what happened to your wheels. I am glad you're getting them replaced. I think the finish on the g-spiders is the same as the 08 ISX50 18" stock wheels (well it looks like the same color).

I am very careful about keeping my wheels clean. I clean the brake dust off at least 3x a week. I also wax my wheels about every 3 months.

Originally Posted by Harrisch
thats awesome - if you have the RE92's they wear out pretty quick, i think they have a treadwear of only 160......my car is just coming up on 15000 miles and those tires are just winding down....

thankfully, im expecting four big boxes from tire rack today
Cool...what tires are you getting?
Old 08-27-08, 03:12 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man Lil E you are **** about the wheels lol, I realized my wheels looks more bronze with brake dust so I don't clean them as often now

Kayo: I see... thanks for your picture + explanation, I was wondering why my stock wheels has brownish stains that looks like brake dust but I cant wash them off, I remember this one time I had over spray with tire foam and try to wipe it but but end up smearing it so I just left it, 2 weeks later I washed my wheel and I could never get those stains out
Old 08-27-08, 03:39 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

those look nice
Old 08-27-08, 10:52 PM
Kayo
Rookie

Well, the rims are replaced. If I get a chance I will snap some pics tomorrow. Finally the way it should be! I can love my G-Spyders again.

I think instead of tire foam it is better to use that 303 Aero Silicone/Rubber spray, apply on cloth, then apply on tire walls.
Old 08-27-08, 10:59 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kayo
Well, the rims are replaced. If I get a chance I will snap some pics tomorrow. Finally the way it should be! I can love my G-Spyders again.

I think instead of tire foam it is better to use that 303 Aero Silicone/Rubber spray, apply on cloth, then apply on tire walls.
I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze - Professional Vinyl and Rubber cleaner/condition.
Spray a little on a towel and rub on the tires...then you're good to go!

Oh yes! Lets see some pics of your wheels.
Old 08-27-08, 11:19 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister T
Little E got a killer deal on her liquid graphite G-Spiders.

Black chrome G-Spiders, as quoted from my dealership (Magnussen), will run $1,800+ and I have to trade-in my stocks as a core.

You do the math.
Oh wow. I didn't even know the dealer offered these black chrome versions of the G-Spiders..my fault. But the regular G-Spiders w/ the same finish as the 08' OEM wheels look pretty nice and are even nicer w/ the price tag..that black chrome price is a bit overboard though

Quick Reply: G-Spiders On