Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14.5 MPG, with 99% city driving.
Old 08-14-07, 12:07 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ben_r_
From that I get a number that is always lower than what the average miles per tank tells me in the dash display.

So where are you guys getting your numbers from, especially you 350 owners. Have you tried calculating it out yourselves or are you just reading it off that display. Personally I am not convinced that dash calculation is correct...
I am surprised your actual is lower than your display, especially given that the computer is conservative in its miles to empty calculations.

For me, it's always been Actual > display, which is the way it should be because you could run out of gas if it was the other way around.

Originally Posted by socalJD
For you 350 owners, I have a HARD time believing that your Lifetime avg is >23 mpg ?!? I'm thinking that the meter has been reset at least once since taking delivery, or maybe you are talking about the Tank avg. I've never reset my Lifetime avg, it's at 22.0 and I've got apprx 13k on the clock of 75/25 SoCal freeway/city driving . . . (btw my actual calculated mileage is 22.5)
I have not ever reset mine, and I bought mine with 70 something miles on it. Strangely though, the plastic and cardboard was still on the interior. Maybe this is one of the test mules they randomly picked to QC. Either way, I picked it up saying 16 something on the lifetime average, and now I'm up to 24.1. See my attached spreadsheet for the figures I'm getting.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
IS350 Gas History.xls (24.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-14-07, 12:08 PM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

07 IS250 AWD with Tanabe exh and Joe Z intake at about 4k on the clock. 80 percent highway averaging between 27 and 28 mpg consistantly.
Old 08-14-07, 12:14 PM
yukikaze
Driver School Candidate

600 miles, and my lifetime mpg states 18.6. I drive 99% city
Old 08-14-07, 03:19 PM
fdelement
Driver

i don't know how you guys get such high milage. I drive 40/60 city/highway and I can barely squeeze out 20mpg.
Old 08-14-07, 03:29 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
Horrible milage. 20mpg right now with mixed driving. I baby it and coast all the time.
Originally Posted by Kuzyn
I don't get it i'm getting 18 -19 and i'm 50/50 plus i drive it average what's going on can it be my K&N killing so much gas. Can someone help me?
Originally Posted by fdelement
i don't know how you guys get such high milage. I drive 40/60 city/highway and I can barely squeeze out 20mpg.
I think for you guys, what you consider average and baby driving is probably still aggressive. Put it this way, are you still the person going the fastest when you're out there? If so, you are not babying the car or driving average.

Since driving to raise that tank average number is an obsession of mine lately, I've been driving like your grandfather. I set my orange ring at 75MPH and back off when I see it. I've seen my orange RPM ring twice in my life... I coast to my stops, and try to anticipate freeway movement ahead to minimize stop and go patterns. I set my AC to the lowest fan speed, turning on the A/C only when I can't stand it anymore, and have it blow directly on me to maximize the effect. I know, I know, I don't deserve a IS350 for the way I drive, but I got a great deal on it and I like its potential...

All that, and I think I get an extra 2MPG out of the car. Probably not worth it in terms of the gas savings versus fun/sanity, but I'm challenged by that dash readout.
Old 08-14-07, 03:45 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

I think i would have to go on lots of long trips to raise my lifetime average, up from the 20.1 its at now. My commute is 20 miles and most of it is streets and or in traffic. Although it would be nice to try to wring every last tenth of a mile out of gas, its not worth it if you arent enjoying the ride.
Old 08-14-07, 05:18 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Either way, I picked it up saying 16 something on the lifetime average, and now I'm up to 24.1. See my attached spreadsheet for the figures I'm getting.

I'm not as detailed as you but here is what I record manually...

Manual calculation is like 0.5 mpg lower than what the car shows. I know for a fact the car is showing 25.2mpg as lifetime.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
IS.xls (17.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-14-07, 05:23 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I'm not as detailed as you but here is what I record manually...

Manual calculation is like 0.5 mpg lower than what the car shows. I know for a fact the car is showing 25.2mpg as lifetime.
Couple of observations. It seems like after 10,000 miles, you are consistently in the 26MPG range, while you rarely topped that before. Did you do something different at the 10K service, or did your habits change?

Also, you are filling up pretty early. Seems like you can easily stretch it another 50 miles each time and still be perfectly safe...
Old 08-14-07, 05:26 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

I think for you guys, what you consider average and baby driving is probably still aggressive. Put it this way, are you still the person going the fastest when you're out there? If so, you are not babying the car or driving average.

Since driving to raise that tank average number is an obsession of mine lately, I've been driving like your grandfather. I set my orange ring at 75MPH and back off when I see it. I've seen my orange RPM ring twice in my life... I coast to my stops, and try to anticipate freeway movement ahead to minimize stop and go patterns. I set my AC to the lowest fan speed, turning on the A/C only when I can't stand it anymore, and have it blow directly on me to maximize the effect. I know, I know, I don't deserve a IS350 for the way I drive, but I got a great deal on it and I like its potential...

All that, and I think I get an extra 2MPG out of the car. Probably not worth it in terms of the gas savings versus fun/sanity, but I'm challenged by that dash readout.
I don't floor it. When I say baby, I mean that my gauge is always on "Current MPG" and if I'm not getting 30mpg, I'll ease off of the gas. On the highway, I'm in the right lane going around 57mph. I've been testing this for two months now and mpg has only gotten worse. I coast from light to light as well.

The only thing I can attest to mpg being lower is the hot summer, as I use to average 22mpg. Today it was 19mpg. Also, I run dubs on my IS. So combat that I press harder on the gas at a green light and coast after that to attain cruise speed.
Old 08-14-07, 05:31 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
I don't floor it. When I say baby, I mean that my gauge is always on "Current MPG" and if I'm not getting 30mpg, I'll ease off of the gas. On the highway, I'm in the right lane going around 57mph. I've been testing this for two months now and mpg has only gotten worse. I coast from light to light as well.

The only thing I can attest to mpg being lower is the hot summer, as I use to average 22mpg. Today it was 19mpg. Also, I run dubs on my IS. So combat that I press harder on the gas at a green light and coast after that to attain cruise speed.
Hmm, that does seem strange to me. Maybe your trips are too short? My work commute is 26 miles each way, 60% wide open roads. If you've been so MPG aware, I'm surprised your results aren't better... I didn't know the wheels make such a big difference.
Old 08-14-07, 05:40 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Couple of observations. It seems like after 10,000 miles, you are consistently in the 26MPG range, while you rarely topped that before. Did you do something different at the 10K service, or did your habits change?

Also, you are filling up pretty early. Seems like you can easily stretch it another 50 miles each time and still be perfectly safe...
Ya I noticed that too. I did ease up my driving a little since the gas price started to go up But not so much that would make that much of a difference. The car is pretty much stock. I got the Tanabe exhaust about 1000 miles ago. So that wasnt it. I still use AC daily during the summer.

I always thought it was because the engine finally broke in... which i still think is true... I still rev it enough... I use 3/4 throttle quite often and up to 5,500 rpms but never FULL throttle as I never found the need... EXCEPT when I did a 1/4 mile drag... I did that when the car had ~5000 miles on it. HUmmmm now that the engine is really broken in I wonder if I can crack the sub 5 sec to 60.

Ya I usually can probably go another 30 to 50 miles before filling up but I dont like to run it down that low since my commute is 60 miles a day I dont want to push it that close... I dont want to be stranded on the freeway

EDIT: Oh Oh haha I changed jobs... I have a different commute. DUH... I have a further commute now. I think I changed job at around line 26... the 26.61434978 mpg line... I took out the dates of each fill up but in my own personal record xls file I have dates in column A

My consistent 26mpg started in Febuary... but I switched jobs a few months before then. So those couple of fill ups in between that were not 26mpg I have no explanation for. Winter blend? I only use 76 gas. I might have once filled up the car with Chevron before cuz I couldnt find a 76 but its always been solely 76 gas

Last edited by EBMCS03; 08-14-07 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 09:46 AM
ckay
Driver School Candidate

Default 2IS MPG Threads (MERGED master thread)

Looking for a new commuter...what are you guys getting on MPG for an MT 250? Also do you feel you have enough power for daily commuting duties? Passing power, etc?

Last edited by ckay; 10-24-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 09:58 AM
rroy
Pole Position

i get about 23-24ish, although the instrument panel says 26-27ish; and plenty of power for commuting.
Old 10-24-07, 10:09 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the computer says 28-29. I can get 400+ from 1 tank....

decent commuter car....no problem at all.

Quick Reply: 2IS MPG Threads (MERGED master thread)