IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP ASAP! Installed JoeZ, now VSC, car won't even move!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 05:17 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation JoeZ install, check VSC problem, RESOLVED...Some pictures of install now

Hey guys,

Ok I installed the JoeZ intake today and pulled the fuses to reset the ECU. After I put the fuses back in, I started the car and it turned on the first time but this time check engine light came on along with "check VSC". The RPM's were shooting like crazy from 1k to 3k and back down and up. I tried putting the car in drive but the car won't even go even if I hit the gas. I was scared.

So then I took the JoeZ out and put the stock intake back in and again pulled the ECU fuses. Again, vsc + check engine light is on. And again, CAR WON'T MOVE! The RPM's are still going crazy shooting up and down and now I'm screwed. Please help.

Last edited by RU514; 06-22-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 05:25 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAF plugged back in?
Old 06-21-08, 05:39 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Hey I don't even know what that is. I did not unplug anything else or so I think. Could you point to me where it is in this picture (not my picture)
Old 06-21-08, 05:40 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

I even tried disconnecting the battery (negative terminal) and still check VSC And check engine light are still on with the stock intake back in. The RPM's are still shooting up and down constantly at idle and if I try to put the car in "Drive" the car does not move even if I hit the gas.

Let me go take a video or something real quick. I think I'm screwed.
Old 06-21-08, 05:41 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Make sure everything is installed correctly, like the hose ends are not folded over on the bottom of the pipe and make sure the PCV pipe is fully connected on the pipe and the engine.
Old 06-21-08, 05:49 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

I'm going to go take pictures right now. BRB 2 min
Old 06-21-08, 05:52 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

If you only removed all that was showing on the picture posted than most likely you did not remove the MAF.

MAF is connected to the air intake box which is showing on the bottom left of your picture.

Can you describe the installation process, this may help us understand more on where the problem might be.

Like someone mention before, you might of missed something when you reintalled the intake, since you have disconnected the battery, than I would assume that it may be an system issue instead of a simple reset.

Let us know how you removed and installed the Joez pipe. thanks
Old 06-21-08, 05:58 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

ok I will explain with pictures one sec
Old 06-21-08, 06:04 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Ok here is what I did step by step (using the "How to Install JoeZ thread" in the performance section)

1. Disconnected fuses for ECU
2. Disconnect the 2 clamps on both ends of the stock intake (meaning losen since they don't come completely off). Also, on the stock intake, there is that pipe with that clamp so I removed the pipe only from the intake end.
3. I wiggled the stock intake out no problem. However, I did notice that on the left side of the intake there is a pipe underneath it held up by like a hook.
4. I put just the sleeve on the throttle end first, insterted the intake, then the sleeve on the air box end, inserted JoeZ other end. Also, neither of the JoeZ ends touches either the throttle end or the air box end.

BACK TO STOCK INTAKE
Here are the pictures. I know complete crappy and poor lighting.

Old 06-21-08, 06:05 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Make sure everything is installed correctly, like the hose ends are not folded over on the bottom of the pipe and make sure the PCV pipe is fully connected on the pipe and the engine.
You know what it sounds like it's trying to get air from somewhere but it can't. Let me retighten everything and check everything again to report back.
Old 06-21-08, 06:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is the MAF...make sure its connected good...dont try to give the car gas and start it a few times. to see what happens making sure this is connected good!
Attached Thumbnails HELP ASAP! Installed JoeZ, now VSC, car won't even move!-image069ti3.jpg  
Old 06-21-08, 06:13 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

removing stock and installing Joez is really just a simple "replacing" parts. The only thing that I did differently was the fuse.

I did not unplug my battery or remove my fuse when I installed the intake, however unplugging the fuse should not cause the issue that you are stating.

Double check all the connections, make sure both ends are on there correctly. Check your fuse relay, although I don't believe that would of caused the problem if you just simply removed it.

Also, try what Passnu2 suggested. Looking at your 2nd picture, that is your MAF sensor. Make sure that it's on there correctly, unplug and replug it back in. Make sure all the tubes and wiring are all connected.
Old 06-21-08, 06:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think its normal since he pulled the fuse. a few starts should take care of it so long all is connected good. Just dont give the car gas and it may take 3 or more starts for it to fire and then the RPM's will probably run high for a little bit.

it will be fine just take your time
Old 06-21-08, 06:22 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

I'll try passnu2 thanks man.
Old 06-21-08, 06:35 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Ok I'll describe exactly what happens with the MAF sensor plugged in properly.

As soon as I press the start button, immediately the car RPM jumps to 3k then down to 1.5k. 5 seconds later it goes all the way down to only 500RPM (.5k) then back up to 1.5k then down to 500RPM and again up and down. When this happens, this weird air noise comes from the engine. I defintely think some leak happened as mentioned above but I honestly tightened everything and did not disconnect one extra thing.

I'm going to have to get it towed to the dealership if this doesn't get fixed. Do you think this will be covered by warranty (I don't have any other mods and I put the stock intake back exactly how it was).

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP! Installed JoeZ, now VSC, car won't even move!