IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

protection for gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 01:37 PM
vha23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default protection for gas cap

does anyone know of anything that you can install around the gas cap so that it wouldn't scratch up the car if the gas attendent drops it against the side of the car? maybe like a rubber ring or something that fits over the cap?
Old 06-01-08, 01:40 PM
icedowt

they have a little thing called pump your own gas it stops mine from getting scrathced
Old 06-01-08, 01:54 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by icedowt
they have a little thing called pump your own gas it stops mine from getting scrathced
He's from NJ. Full serve only there.
Old 06-01-08, 01:56 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

What? You can't pump your own gas in Jersey?
Old 06-01-08, 02:02 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

in oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas either.
Old 06-01-08, 02:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
What? You can't pump your own gas in Jersey?
Yeah it stinks but I do get to pump my own at times.
I wish the state would go to pump your own.
Old 06-01-08, 02:20 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yeah it stinks but I do get to pump my own at times.
I wish the state would go to pump your own.
i was in jerse not to long ago at a gas station, the attendant was filling up my buddies car and then i see an old lady in front of us just leave with the nozzle in the car, she dragged the nozzle and hose with her and broke it off the pump....the guy pumping looked back and all he said was "f*** my life"....haha i died laughing.
Old 06-01-08, 02:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vha23
does anyone know of anything that you can install around the gas cap so that it wouldn't scratch up the car if the gas attendent drops it against the side of the car? maybe like a rubber ring or something that fits over the cap?
Use the cap holder built into the fuel door. That way, the cap doesn't touch the paint. Tell the pump jockey when you drive up to 'use the cap holder in the door'.
Old 06-01-08, 03:18 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh I'd be pissed if I had to live in OR or NJ. Such a pet peeve when I see gas trickle down the side of my car when I do it on accident. It'd pain me even more to see someone ELSE do it haha..
Old 06-01-08, 03:49 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the reason that they cannot pump their own?
Old 06-01-08, 05:49 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
what is the reason that they cannot pump their own?
Jersey passed the law in the late 40s because they felt at the time that gas was a dangerous flammable liquid best left to professionals to dispense (and I'm being serious). Obviously, the design of modern pumps and cars make it pretty darn safe to dispense gas, so the law is totally outdated and obsolete.

That said, the law creates a lot of jobs, so you can see where amending/removing it would cause debate. People like my mother-in-law would also fight vigorously against changing this law, as she is too damn lazy to pump her own gas anyway.

Old 06-01-08, 06:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Tell the pump jockey when you drive up to 'use the cap holder in the door'.
How do you say that in Pakistani? Unfortunately, most of the people pumping gas around here are recent immigrants that barely speak English well enough to ascertain whether you want regular, plus or premium.

Originally Posted by 15951
That said, the law creates a lot of jobs, so you can see where amending/removing it would cause debate. People like my mother-in-law would also fight vigorously against changing this law, as she is too damn lazy to pump her own gas anyway.

Governor Corzine proposed lifting the ban about a year and a half ago, and all the senior citizen groups started calling their legislative representitives. I still remember the quote from the head of the transportation committee: "Telling a motorist that self-serve will save them money at the pump is like telling someone that they could save money on a new home by building it themselves."
Old 06-01-08, 07:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
How do you say that in Pakistani? Unfortunately, most of the people pumping gas around here are recent immigrants that barely speak English well enough to ascertain whether you want regular, plus or premium.

Governor Corzine proposed lifting the ban about a year and a half ago, and all the senior citizen groups started calling their legislative representitives. I still remember the quote from the head of the transportation committee: "Telling a motorist that self-serve will save them money at the pump is like telling someone that they could save money on a new home by building it themselves."
True. But the Lexus driver can get out of the car and show said immigrant how the cap holder works, but then what's the point.

As my mother got older she could no longer use the self serve pumps due to her arthritis, so she looked for places that still had full serve. I can see the older peoples point of view.
Old 06-01-08, 08:13 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Pakistani isn't a language, but if you wanted to say it in Urdu you could say "main sala kutha hoon"
Old 06-01-08, 08:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
As my mother got older she could no longer use the self serve pumps due to her arthritis, so she looked for places that still had full serve. I can see the older peoples point of view.
Federal ADA law requires gas stations to provide full service to the disabled, so as long as someone has a handicapped placard or whatever, they would still be provided the service without additional charge. Of course, I'm sure it's still inconvenient to get someone's attention to pump gas for you in places where it is not a universal requirement.

Good example - I hadn't thought about that.

Quick Reply: protection for gas cap