Ace00
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Service at dealership

Newport Lexus
30k Service
**Additional service required - New Brakes

Total: 1160.00

Probably got taking but its the piece of mind that i get when have the dealership do it.

**Don't forget though, a free car wash is included. wink wink**
I don't know about your dealership, but i think Newport Lexus does a damn fine job on its free car was (MOST OF THE TIME)

BTW include another $1100.00 for Goodyear F1's GS-D3 from americantires
Old 04-30-08, 12:32 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace00
Newport Lexus
30k Service

Probably got taking but its the piece of mind that i get when have the dealership do it.

I don't know about your dealership, but i think Newport Lexus does a damn fine job on its free car was (MOST OF THE TIME)

That is a ton of money!!! I guess it is peace of mind but I wish you would have tried Discount Tire or Tire Rack for you F1's. I just try to save people there hard earned money.
Old 04-30-08, 12:35 PM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

what all did they do for that price?
Old 04-30-08, 12:39 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

"new brakes" = new rotors you mean?

1160 for 30k service + another 1100 for tires.. damn that's a lot of money

^ yea, what did they do at 30k service?
Old 04-30-08, 12:50 PM
Ace00
Rookie

The invoice is at home, so i'll post that up later.

as for the brakes, they said the pads were less than 5 or 10% left on them.

I thought it was kinda high for a 30k maintenance and new tires, but i just thought thats what you had to pay for driving a lexus.

My friend who also has a IS also said she could probably get the 30k for around 600-800 at cerritos lexus (Where she bought her Lexus from)
**Yeah, now she tells me** LOL
Old 04-30-08, 01:09 PM
sammy5001
Rookie

So how much can you save if you replaced the brakes yourself?
Old 04-30-08, 01:14 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

That's a lot of $$$ for tires. Yeah, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's are a little more expensive vs. the Goodyear F1 All-Seasons.
Old 04-30-08, 01:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can do a lot better on the price of F1 GS-D3s, I remember tirerack shipped with road hazard its under 1000
Old 04-30-08, 04:08 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

You guys do need to understand that a dealer is considered as an elite. You wouldn't expect to walk into Neiman Marcus with the expectation of walking out of there with a deal. Well you won't if you have your car serviced there either. Its a price point, luxury experience and convenience thing.
Old 04-30-08, 04:46 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
That is a ton of money!!! I guess it is peace of mind but I wish you would have tried Discount Tire or Tire Rack for you F1's. I just try to save people there hard earned money.
+1.... that some serious $$$ going out for 30K check...
Old 04-30-08, 05:31 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carchitect
You guys do need to understand that a dealer is considered as an elite. You wouldn't expect to walk into Neiman Marcus with the expectation of walking out of there with a deal. Well you won't if you have your car serviced there either. Its a price point, luxury experience and convenience thing.
I appreciate your posts on this forum, but I call BS on this one. Here are the actual service items for the 30k service according to the scheduled maintenance book that came with my IS350:

- Replace engine oil and oil filter;
- Replace air conditioner filter;
- Replace brake fluid;
- Replace engine air filter; and
- Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts.

That's it! Everything else is a bunch of crap -"inspect nuts and bolts on chassis" is my personal favorite. For what they're actually doing, $1,160 isn't "elite", it's ripping the customer off.

By the way, do you guys ever do the re-torqueing of the axle shaft flange bolts that's called for with most services? What the hell does that even mean?!?

UPDATE: I did a search on the mysterious axle shaft flange bolt, and was amused to find discussions in a couple of subforums with no definitive answers. What I did find out is that this sucker is torqued from the factory to more than 200 ft/lbs, so there's no reason to constantly retorque it. Also, I noticed that the last time I brought my car in for a simple oil change, there was a line item on the receipt for a free multi-point inspection. I was even provided with a page listing the condition of my fluids, air pressures, tire tread depth, etc. That gives me even less reason to pay them to check to see if any wheels have fallen off.

Last edited by 15951; 04-30-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 05:53 PM
Ace00
Rookie

Originally Posted by 15951
I appreciate your posts on this forum, but I call BS on this one. Here are the actual service items for the 30k service according to the scheduled maintenance book that came with my IS350:

- Replace engine oil and oil filter;
- Replace air conditioner filter;
- Replace brake fluid;
- Replace engine air filter; and
- Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts.

That's it! Everything else is a bunch of crap -"inspect nuts and bolts on chassis" in my personal favorite. For what they're actually doing, $1,160 isn't "elite", it's ripping the customer off.

By the way, do you guys even ever do the re-torqueing of the axle shaft flange bolts? What the hell does that even mean?!?

Here's the thing, are you doing the maintenance yourself or the dealership?
For me, just knowing the fact that the dealership did the maintenance, makes me sleep a tad better at night, of course it bugs the F* out of me that i know i could have save a ton of $$ by doing it myself or going to a independent auto shop.

BTW, are you calling me out as to say i didn't actually pay the amount or the fact that it doesn't cost 1160.00 for a 30k service with new rear brake pads.

As for the tires, i did check tirerack.com but thats only for the tires. I would have gone to a independent auto shop to have them balance and mount them on. Wether or not that would have save me a couple of hundred bucks, who knows???
Old 04-30-08, 05:57 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the thing, are you doing the maintenance yourself or the dealership?
For me, just knowing the fact that the dealership did the maintenance, makes me sleep a tad better at night, of course it bugs the F* out of me that i know i could have save a ton of $$ by doing it myself or going to a independent auto shop.

BTW, are you calling me out as to say i didn't actually pay the amount or the fact that it doesn't cost 1160.00 for a 30k service with new rear brake pads.

As for the tires, i did check tirerack.com but thats only for the tires. I would have gone to a independent auto shop to have them balance and mount them on. Wether or not that would have save me a couple of hundred bucks, who knows???
Sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out. I absolutely believe you paid that much for the service - I was just disgusted that they're charging that much for what is actually being done.

When I was younger, I paid for all xxk mile services with the confidence that I was taking better care of my car. It took a mechanic friend having a chat with me to make me realize I was mostly just wasting cash by paying hundreds of dollars extra to have the tech essentially stare at the underside of the car for a minute and declare it "inspected".

Anyway, if it gives you peace of mind, and you're comfortable spending the $$, that's all that matters.
Old 04-30-08, 06:22 PM
redline624
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Free front brake service, new pads, new rotors...

Newport Lexus
30k Service

Brake dust TSB....I got over on the dealer ship....LOL
Old 04-30-08, 07:25 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Let me know how you like those tires... Those are the ones I'm thinking about getting.

Quick Reply: Car Service at dealership