IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2 techs came to set up homelink, and both failed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 01:53 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2 techs came to set up homelink, and both failed

It is the security gate or main gate to my apartment. It's not an individual garage door.

got fed up that i cant install it myself, so called lexus and tried the Lexus Mobile Service. So 2 separate techs from 2 different dealers came to my place to set up this homelink.

1. The first one said the battery on my gate remote might be low, so I borrowed my friend's one and still unsuccessful. And I asked whether the homelink system in my rear-view mirror might be defective and a whether replacement would help. He said no, but I can try with the TSIB of rear-view mirror shaking. So left leaving a note to replace my rear view mirror first then try again..

2. The second one is very cool. Tried the first time, failed. tried the second time, failed. Then concluded that my gate is not compatible with the homelink system. (WTF? is this true?). He said he could program all garage door b4 but have no idea why mine could not work. He also added that some security gate is programmed so that it could not be programmed to a car's homelink.

I dunno which tech to believe. LOL. It's sad that I can;t use what's equipped in my car.

Any inputs?
Old 04-18-08, 01:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1st question does anyone else in your community have there car linked up thru Homelink? If so then it can be done!!
Old 04-18-08, 01:59 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

U should have atleast made them hook up your home link so the light in your house turn on when u come home lol
Old 04-18-08, 02:01 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Most guard gates cant be programmed for that simple reason, they don't want their remotes passed around to everyone and their mother.
Old 04-18-08, 02:04 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
1st question does anyone else in your community have there car linked up thru Homelink? If so then it can be done!!
emm, i dunno about this. I dunno anyone else in my apartment. lol.
Old 04-18-08, 02:05 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Most guard gates cant be programmed for that simple reason, they don't want their remotes passed around to everyone and their mother.
that's what the second tech told me too. since the apt unit can't be owned, (it can only be rented), so they dont want ppl to have access after they have moved out.

edit: but I know some security gates can be programmed coz my friends live in another apt and he could program it to his IS. sad mine couldn;t

Last edited by tfz_hebe89; 04-18-08 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 02:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We have seen this complaint before with security gates. Makes sense.
Old 04-18-08, 02:09 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

It could also be that the community gate has a rolling code (The same code is never sent twice) In that case there should be a test button usually purple, or red on the motor itself...Press it and then hold your homelink button for the amount of time needed...this should work. Good Luck!

Last edited by iceman1117; 04-18-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 02:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

If the front main gate is a rolling code system...(most are)

... you will need to access the learn button on the controler/receiver unit (usually near the gate motor) to complete the Lexus homelink programing process..

This is a fact... !!

Joe Z

P.S. - I'm not a Tech by any means, but I know my *****...
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

On new garages with rolling codes, part of programming your home link device is pressing the learn button at the receiver.

Unless you have access to this button, it wont be possible to program, unless the receiver to your gate was made prior to 96 or so.

Go to homelink's website for more information, its not really Lexus' fault this time.
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
emm, i dunno about this. I dunno anyone else in my apartment. lol.
Ask someone that has a car that you might think has this Homelink feature. I would try this route first. Or is there a guard by the gate? ask someone that may be able to tell you if its an option.

If you find out others have done it then they are not doing something right. Are they just putting the transmitter in the Homelink? or did they do both steps as if it where a rolling code? My guess is that its rolling code for safety reasons.

I worked for a dealer years back and would go to homes for people to link this and there openers up. I never had one that didnt work. But as the other member posted you may not have access to the gate to link it??

if you get this info and it will work PM me and I will help you out.
Old 04-18-08, 02:16 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

... you will need to access the learn button on the controler/receiver unit (usually near the gate motor) to complete the Lexus homelink programing process..

This is a fact... !!

Joe Z

Learn button...Thats what its called! Not Test Button like I mentioned in my previous post...Joe Z, You do know your S***

Last edited by iceman1117; 04-18-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 04:54 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iceman1117
It could also be that the community gate has a rolling code (The same code is never sent twice) In that case there should be a test button usually purple, or red on the motor itself...Press it and then hold your homelink button for the amount of time needed...this should work. Good Luck!
Originally Posted by Joe Z

This is a fact... !!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
On new garages with rolling codes, part of programming your home link device is pressing the learn button at the receiver.

Unless you have access to this button, it wont be possible to program, unless the receiver to your gate was made prior to 96 or so.

Go to homelink's website for more information, its not really Lexus' fault this time.
Originally Posted by passnu2
Ask someone that has a car that you might think has this Homelink feature. I would try this route first. Or is there a guard by the gate? ask someone that may be able to tell you if its an option.

If you find out others have done it then they are not doing something right. Are they just putting the transmitter in the Homelink? or did they do both steps as if it where a rolling code? My guess is that its rolling code for safety reasons.

I worked for a dealer years back and would go to homes for people to link this and there openers up. I never had one that didnt work. But as the other member posted you may not have access to the gate to link it??

if you get this info and it will work PM me and I will help you out.
wow..thanks for the inputs guys. this is what forum is for anyway, i think there;s a box near the gate, and I suppose the learn button is there? the box is closed, and I don't think i can have access to that without asking my apt manager.

i will take photo of the gate and the box near the gate. oh wait, where's my camera now?

hold on a while and the photo will be here
Old 04-18-08, 05:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
wow..thanks for the inputs guys. this is what forum is for anyway, i think there;s a box near the gate, and I suppose the learn button is there? the box is closed, and I don't think i can have access to that without asking my apt manager.

i will take photo of the gate and the box near the gate. oh wait, where's my camera now?

hold on a while and the photo will be here
are you sure there is no way into that box
Old 04-18-08, 07:23 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tool made to get into that box. Can't remember what it's called though...wait, I think it's called a hammer. You will have to strike the box several times. Don't worry, the manager won't mind. Just tell him you are trying to program your homelink.

Quick Reply: 2 techs came to set up homelink, and both failed