IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

To race or not to race at stop light

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:10 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i leave the stop light drag-racing to those who HAVE TO prove a needless point.

other than that, i usually like to get out in front of the pack so as to avoid trolling behind slower-than-molasses drivers.
Old 04-09-08, 05:31 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This is one weakness I can not control. It could be compared to a drug habit. Unfortunutly I can not pass up a chance for a little excitment in life. I do make sure there is no one in the way. I remember having these feelings when I was a small child driving with my father. I would tell him to pass other cars. I guess some kids never grow up, SORRY!

Koz
Old 04-09-08, 06:40 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

as an insurance agent i know i shouldnt say this but i have been known to race a couple times, but to be honest i used to get more attention in my TSX because they knew they had a chance.
now the only ones that try to race me are ones that assume i have a AWD 250 because in colorado about 95% of the IS-X50 cars sold here are AWD and im sure are the slowest of the IS lineup. so usually if i do get a race it doesnt take long to determin who "won" i usually never exceed the speed limit by much. so far the only car that i lost to was a Mustang cobra that had a SC under the hood.
other than that a couple modded Neon SRT turbo 's were racing on either side of me, and i just happend to be in the middle of it. i knew because of where this was taking place and by the look of the cars i would not be the one getting the ticket! that time i got a 2 for 1 and beat em both! lol that race was definitly worth it! but i didnt exceed the speed limit for long, as soon as i proved my point i slowed down.
i am always the first off the line cause, well thats how the 350 likes to take off, you almost can't help it!
i also had some fun with an S2000 on the way home after he saw how bad he got waxed no matter how hard i tried i couldnt get him to run me again!

oh and a boosted integra type r started messing with me once and he got waxed pretty bad, im sure he thought i had a 250. had a little fun with an RX8 not too long ago on a highway. i would let him get a run on me and wait till he was under WOT then proceed to walk his *** to 80 a couple times, after that he didnt even try.
so do i race, well yes i guess technically i do occasionally thoes are all of the incidents i have had in almost a year. however i should point out that when i see kids racing on the streets your usually talking about a couple ricers whos cars are somewhat evenly matched. as a result they race to the death! they will stand on the gas in a game of chicken to see who gives up first or untill someone gets killed. ive seen them exceeding the speed limit by almost triple and on streets where the limit is about 45 mph. that is plain stupid!

so yea i know i shouldnt but i do think there is some degree of common sence one can use if your going to "race" someone and i usually dont mess with someone unless i can show the other car they "lost" before grossly exceeding the speed limit or endangering the public.
i dont race cars i know i can't beat before things get scary. only the ones who mistaken the identity of the 350 badge on the rear ever try playing with me anyway.
Old 04-09-08, 09:39 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t race; I gave that up years ago. But I have noticed an activity I call “loser’s revenge.” When getting onto a California freeway ramp, brief red lights are common during rush hour. Many, like the one I take while going to work, have two cars side by side, waiting until the light turns green where the two lanes will merge into one entering the freeway. This is a perfect setup for a quick race.

Now my 330hp G37, even though I’m not trying, usually gets off first. I’ve noticed quite often the loser speeds up behind me, then changes lanes, and passes me like a shot well above the speed limit, sort of like, “I’ll show you who’s faster.” To me, it’s a juvenile response, typical of street racers.