IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Those with Rolled Rear Fenders and Agressive offset/tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 05:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Those with Rolled Rear Fenders and Agressive offset/tires

I am looking for some help please from those that have gone to the extreme. I am lowered on TeinS Springs. As many know they are not an even drop on the driver side my car sits a little lower. I have rub only on the rear on the driver side. My fender is rolled like there is no tomorrow. Today i figured where my problem is and wanted to see if anyone has altered or modified this area?

On the rear panel where the bumper and fender/panel meet inside the wheel well there is a tap that sticks out. Basically seems to me like its just to help support where they meet. My question is has anyone shaved this off? They will still join and this will eliminate my rub issue i have over dips in the road and large drive ways.

I would be more then happy to try to take a pic tomorrow when its light out if that is of help.

1. lowered on Tein S springs
2. 19x10 +38
3. 275/35/19 tire
Note no rub at all on the passenger side!

Thank you for your help!
Mike
Old 04-04-08, 09:00 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the offset stick out, the rim are wide but the tire are wide too.. U might need to get another size tire maybe like 265 or even stock tire size 255..
Old 04-05-08, 06:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

well many i know are running 275/30 with the same set up. I wanted something different then the rest. i rolled my fenders to allow this to work. it works and we where right on the passenger side. I wouldn't have guessed it be lower or that much of a difference on the driver side. This is why i am really upset with this. spent a lot of time and didn't just order the tire. I spent a good 2 hours test fitting a tire to see what we had. we jut put it on the passenger side only and that is where this has become an issue. there has to be something to do here without spending money on coilovers. i like the ride of the springs. It all boils down to that tab and if i can go back to the shop and have them grind that gone i think i will be okay. if it rubs anywhere else it wont do damage to the tire or car. worse that can happen is it will rub thru the paint...

More ideas please...someone else on here must have had this. i know there is much more aggresive set ups on here that put mine to shame.
Old 04-05-08, 11:26 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, can you post a picture of whatever it is that's sticking out? I don't recall seeing this on the rear when I was doing my fender work, only on the front...

Javier
Old 04-05-08, 11:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Mike, can you post a picture of whatever it is that's sticking out? I don't recall seeing this on the rear when I was doing my fender work, only on the front...

Javier

Javier, I am unable to get a pic inside but here is a pic from the outside area that I was referring to. just inside the fender there is a metal, either lip or bracket that looks like its from the rear quarter panel. Has a similar lip as what my fenders did. I can see mine as the felt that was there or linning material may have worn thru from my rubbing. Let me know if you see or feel what i am talking about.

Thank you for your help!
Mike
Old 04-05-08, 11:47 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

here is another pic with a circle around the area. The rear panel is what has this tap/lip attached to it. At first i thought it was to hold the bumper but its not attached to it from what i can see. I will try to see if i can get a better pic inside the fender for you.

thanks.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Those with Rolled Rear Fenders and Agressive offset/tires-dscf0108.jpg  
Old 04-05-08, 12:59 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

The metal inside the front bumper that make the tire rub and also they will take a chunk of rubber off the tires.. That why u have big tires in front and u need to get smaller.. It will solve the problem...
Old 04-05-08, 01:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIS250P
The metal inside the front bumper that make the tire rub and also they will take a chunk of rubber off the tires.. That why u have big tires in front and u need to get smaller.. It will solve the problem...
its the rear not the front. Thanks though.
Old 04-05-08, 02:06 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Same wheel offsets, same tire sizes, and same annoying rubbing on the drivers side in the rear. Rolled my fenders too, but still had rubbing over large bumps and sharp turns.

Ended up getting coilovers, which solved the problem. New tires for the rear might have been cheaper.

On a side note, your wheels look great.
Old 04-05-08, 02:09 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
its the rear not the front. Thanks though.
My bad!!! Sorry
Old 04-05-08, 02:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by montgb
I was in the same boat as you. Same wheel offsets, same tire sizes, and same annoying rubbing on the drivers side in the rear. Rolled my fenders too, but still had rubbing over large bumps and sharp turns.

Ended up getting coilovers, which solved the problem. New tires for the rear might have been cheaper.

On a side note, your wheels look great.
Thank you!

did you attempt to mess with this at all or have anyone look to see if it was possible? I went back and the fender is FLAT now so i have no issues on sharp turns its just up driveways, over railroad xings, and big dips in the road. I know where most of these trouble spots are and try to avoid them or slow down but I can control only so much. I would really like to try this first and help others who run into this problem. I am determined that there is a way to fix this
Old 04-06-08, 07:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

**bump**

anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 04-06-08, 07:43 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

i think you should try a lower size tire, looks to me your tires are to thick. something like a 275/30 or 265/30
Old 04-06-08, 08:41 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

x2 265/30 will suit better.
Old 04-06-08, 08:56 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would also suggest 265-30

Quick Reply: Those with Rolled Rear Fenders and Agressive offset/tires