Lexus IS Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 03:46 PM
MMEEDD1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS Opinions

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and was hoping to get some feedback or advice. I'm thinking of trading in later this year and considering a 2011-2013 IS350 AWD with automatic, xenons, and navigation.

Two of my biggest pet peeves are: 1) squeaks and rattles; and 2) unrefined transmission performance.

Can you give me a sense for how solid these are and if the automatic shifts smoothly? What are some of the weaknesses of these cars I should be aware of?

I'd be trading from a 2010 Acura TL, which has one of the most unrefined automatic transmissions in history.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike
Old 07-21-14, 04:23 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't speak about IS350 in regards to engine but my IS250 transmission is buttery smooth and power is sufficient. Interior is very nice with no squeaks. Of course I am coming from a Mazda5 so my perspective may be a bit skewed
Old 07-21-14, 05:46 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In an unmodified IS350 you wont get any squeaks and rattles. well... maybe from the sunroof when it rattles but thats all I know and it was fixed in the later models. As for transmission, if the car wasn't beaten on by previous owner, it will be the best shifting transmission you can drive IMO. Power exactly where you want it. But its really up to you to come up to that conclusion after you test drive
Old 07-21-14, 07:05 PM
Flium10
Driver School Candidate

I have a IS250 RWD so this may be a complete non-issue for a IS350 AWD.

My only issue with transmission is usually in the very low gears. The 1st to 2nd transmission shift occurs so rapidly upon acceleration that there can be a minor hickup depending on how quickly you press down the gas.

Shakes and rattles are nearly non-existent. Lexus is typically known for putting out extremely refined cars and it shows in how tight everything is in the interior/exterior.
Old 07-21-14, 08:21 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flium10
I have a IS250 RWD so this may be a complete non-issue for a IS350 AWD.

My only issue with transmission is usually in the very low gears. The 1st to 2nd transmission shift occurs so rapidly upon acceleration that there can be a minor hickup depending on how quickly you press down the gas.

Shakes and rattles are nearly non-existent. Lexus is typically known for putting out extremely refined cars and it shows in how tight everything is in the interior/exterior.
First gears on alot of cars are extremely short. Especially on automatics because in D mode the car would be looking for the most fuel efficent option at its speed. I also think first gear on the 2/350's max out at 37-40 mph before it hits redline. It most cars its usually at 3rd-4th gear at that point
Old 07-21-14, 09:43 PM
bigmemory
Driver

The Bimmers have more refined ATs, if thats what your looking for. Expect more maintenance costs though. My 2006 IS 250 also has a slight lag when i hit the gas, before the engine kicks in
Old 07-21-14, 10:17 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If you want faster response, you can try put it in power mode. I generally get a more responsive engine with that.

Some people have rattles in the dash and vents.
Old 07-22-14, 01:29 AM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
buttery smooth
haha! buttery smooth huh? i'd swear you watch rip trippers on youtube after seeing that. but i agree that i think the second gen's are really nice cars, my major complaint that i don't think you would see is the sticky/melting dash problem of the older second generation IS'. other than that i think its a great car.
Old 07-22-14, 04:17 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

i work for acura. and I own an IS350. the TL is no where near the IS350 in terms of engine/trans performance. the IS feels more luxurious. NO squeaks or rattles. its hard to put into words. BUT, take an IS350 for a test drive and the differences will be apparent. first thing youll notice right away is how much smoother and more rev happy the engine/trans is in the Lexus.
Old 07-22-14, 06:23 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MMEEDD1
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and was hoping to get some feedback or advice. I'm thinking of trading in later this year and considering a 2011-2013 IS350 AWD with automatic, xenons, and navigation.

Two of my biggest pet peeves are: 1) squeaks and rattles; and 2) unrefined transmission performance.

Can you give me a sense for how solid these are and if the automatic shifts smoothly? What are some of the weaknesses of these cars I should be aware of?

I'd be trading from a 2010 Acura TL, which has one of the most unrefined automatic transmissions in history.
I have an '11 IS350 AWD that I really like. It's not a race transmission with really quick, hard shifts, but it's no slush box, either. In my opinion, it's a great compromise. You used the word "refined", which is a great description of this transmission. The ONLY thing I have ever noticed is that the shifts from 1 to 2 can be a little harsh before it's warmed up. It starts to get heat in it within half a mile or so, and I've never noticed ANY issues after warm up. I have no squeaks or rattles anywhere.

I've had a ton of cars over the years, ranging from muscle cars to MINIs, and sports cars to luxury boats. This is the best all purpose, every day car I've ever had. Fun to drive when I want to have fun, very quick when I want to be quick, and extremely comfortable when I just need to get from point A to point B. It's close to perfect, for my purposes.

My lease is up in 3 months, and deciding what to do is driving me nuts. I have a really hard time justifying a different car, because I like the IS so much. With only 13K miles, it would simply be a matter of wanting something different, with newer technology/gadgets. Honestly, the IS is the first car I've ever had that would keep me happy for a long time, so I'm really struggling with the decision. I can't believe you would be unhappy with an IS.
Old 07-22-14, 10:22 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Before my 08 IS250 AWD, I owned a 99 Accord V6, which I believe may qualify for the worst auto tranny Honda/Acura ever used. When I bought it, it had 128000km on the odometer, and the transmission had already been replaced once. I didn't actually have any major issues with the transmission or the engine for that matter, but I did (almost immediately) notice that the transmission started to shift harder and harder until I traded it in 4.5 years later with 184000km on the car. When downshifting in the Accord, the car used to slam into 3rd or 2nd.. it was really harsh.

I've owned my 250 for about 2 years now, and put almost 30000km on it in that time. With the IS250 AWD, the shifting is quick, clean and smooth, exactly the same as the day I test drove it. When you downshift, the transmission is much, much more refined and much less harsh. You'll see what people are talking about when you test drive it.

You shouldn't experience any squeaks, and any dash rattles are usually due to climates that fluctuate from extreme low temps to extreme high temps. As far as I know, there is only one major issue which is something to do with the cam gear or valve spring or something, but I'm not sure what model years it applied to. I do believe a recall was issued so you should be able to get the recall done free of charge (if it hasn't already been done). You can use the VIN to check the car's service history here:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do
Old 07-22-14, 10:31 AM
meis250
Driver

07 IS250 AWD here. Transmission is fine, even though the first gear is very short. BUT the early versions like mine have the rattles (mirror/ dash/ sunroof), carbon buildup, cam gear to worry about. YES, I did experience all those and even though I love the car, all these annoyances make me be on the fence if I am to recommend it. Just now I have it in for service because the A/C died and I am not a heavy user.
Now you're talking about the 350 which should have no issue with the carbon buildup, and a much newer model that should have most of these things taken care of.

Just like with any used car, I would pay special attention to details and buy from a dealer that will stand behind if needed. Good luck.
Old 07-22-14, 01:08 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both IS250 and IS350. I like the transmission, smooth @ cruising and hard @ when you push it.

The IS250 is sufficient for street usage and daily commute.
The IS350 actually have very aggressive gearing ratio so off the line, it is a beast. It is way way more powerful than the IS250. 0-40 MPH, the IS350 is almost as fast as ISF (400 HP monster).

Also, I drive pretty hard on both cars. Autocrossing couple times. Red line frequently and the engine still run smooth like day one. Lexus IS is very reliable.

I have few squeak (the windows) when going over the bump on the IS350 8 year old car but my 3 year old IS250 is rattle free.

Last edited by FSportIS; 07-22-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 02:30 PM
MMEEDD1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, everyone! I'm sort of torn between the IS, an A5, a 335x, and a C-Class 4Matic. I get the impression BMWs are fun to drive but unreliable. It sounds like the Audi and Lexus have both been lauded by owners for being solid and having good shifting. I guess it comes down to test-drives. I really like the looks of the A5. The Lexus seems a little small for my tastes, but my family has had good luck with Toyota.
Old 07-22-14, 02:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This information might be relevant to you as well. I have test driven brand new Audi A series, BMW 335i, Benz, and the Lexus IS (3rd generation) on autocross event organized by Lexus. Here is the takeaway from me:
1. Lexus IS handles the best.
2. BMW 335i is the most powerful and had the best exhaust sound.
3. Audi is by far the worst in handling. Steering feel is too light, no road feel at all. Many others commented the same.
4. Lexus and Audi look best both exterior and interior. (subjective).
5. Benz is good overall but not best or worst in any area.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Opinions