IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

problem to program garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 07:41 PM
max90034
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem to program garage door opener

I tried to program is-f homelink but could not make it working with my garage door opener. I have Genie Screw Drive opener. I know it has rolling code so I followed the instructions and it does not work. It looks good up the the very last step:
1) After I press learning button on my opener the light on the box starts to blink slow;
2) then I press homelink is-f button first time and the light on the box stays lit (so far this is how my manual describes it);
3) I press homelink button for the 2d time and rather than go off, the light (on the garage box) starts to blink rapidly (according to my opener manual it means that programming has stopped). When I try use homelink button it does not open the door.

I also have acura and infiniti with homelink and I was able to program them with no any problems... Any ideas?
Old 04-01-08, 07:49 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I have the same garage door opener and after several failed attempts, I modified the procedure you stated and it worked for BOTH of my IS350s and my new Corvette on the first try.

1. Clear out the homelink by pressing the two outer buttons and hold for 20seconds until it blinks rapidly.
2. Hold the actual garage door opener remote that is already programed within a few inches of the homelink and press both the remote and desired homelink button at the same time and hold for a few seconds.
3. Then do the process you described (learn button, homelink button...).

Good luck!
Old 04-01-08, 07:51 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yep i have the same garage opener too. I also had to use an existing remote to program with.
Old 04-01-08, 08:20 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

is this how you gotta do it with just that bran? because i've been trying to program mine and it never works...
Old 04-01-08, 08:23 PM
max90034
Rookie

Thanks. But I actually did this, just skipped it from my description. So, I first used my old remote to program is-f homelink (by holding 2 buttons pressed until homelink light started to blink rapidly). Only after than I did what I described in my original post. I also tried to reset homelik first, then use old remote to program and then use learn button on the box to finish programming. Can it be a bad battery in my remote? I found post online that battery replacement fixed problem for somebody. However, remote works fine for opening the door...
Old 04-01-08, 08:26 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I had some problems too when I first got my IS. I forgot what the trick was. Might want to do a search.
Old 04-01-08, 08:34 PM
max90034
Rookie

OK, now it's really weird. I tried to program extra homelink button on my 2000 acura and it worked. Then I tried the same with 2006 infiniti and got exactly the same problem as with lexus. It does not work for the 2d button and I have no idea how I made it working on infiniti for the first time...
Old 04-02-08, 03:59 AM
Karl
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem when programming my homelink to a Genie with rolling code. Genie suggested resetting the opener's memory. That worked This required reprogramming all the other openers too. A minor inconvenience, but made necessary by the limit in the Genie. It's memory can only recognize seven devices. If you make a mistake in programming and start over one of the seven is used. You do that a few times and you soon run out of memory. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-08, 04:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by max90034
OK, now it's really weird. I tried to program extra homelink button on my 2000 acura and it worked. Then I tried the same with 2006 infiniti and got exactly the same problem as with lexus. It does not work for the 2d button and I have no idea how I made it working on infiniti for the first time...
Get a fresh battery for the garage door remote, then try it again. I tried for weeks, then replaced the battery, and it worked the first time.
Old 04-02-08, 04:46 AM
inrainbows
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333300

Should be sticky or added to FAQ.
Old 04-02-08, 05:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can make this work!

1. hold both outer buttons untill you get the rapid flash that it has cleared all that is stored in memory.
2. be clear of your garage door for this! program your garage opener (handheld) with the car by pushing the buttons at the same time and holding them. You get the rapid flash on the car when the process is done!
3. last step. push the learn button on your opener (DO NOT HOLD IT DOWN) just push it quickly then you have a short period of time to get back in your car and push the same button that you trained off your (handheld) opener. Most openers will flash the lights to confirm you have completed the process. It would help for this last step if you have someone with to help as you dont have much time to run back in the car before it times out.

**most important is to make sure the car is clear of the door coming down**

Good Luck! This will work!!!
Old 04-02-08, 08:53 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I have the same genie garage door. I followed the instructions in the manual and nothing happened. I tried it about 8 more times, and it finally worked. Also, you can program another garage door or a gate entry in the other buttons on the mirror.
Old 04-02-08, 11:25 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Homelink programming

Couple of things. First go to www.homelink.com and you can print programming instructions based on car and opener type. The Lexus book does omit the part about pushing both your opener button and the Lexus Homelink button at the SAME time and hold until LED flashes quickly. I have noticed that I had to position my opener behind the mirror, not in front (the side that reflects) as it seemed to block it. Also, with an Overhead Door brand opener, if your car or the remote if you're ever reprogramming, is too close to the motorhead, the signal it too strong to get the opener to accept the new controller. I usually push the Learn button, then walk about 10-15 feet away and press the remote I want to code to it. Works every time. I left my car just outside the garage when I programmed mine in both my house, a Wayne-Dalton actuator and my friend's, an Overhead Door actuator and each programmed immediately. You then have to press the remote button again to complete.
Old 04-02-08, 01:47 PM
max90034
Rookie

Thanks for all responses. I've read Homelink instructions and I still a bit confused regarding the very last step: after I press learn button on the opener and walked to my car, should I just press/release homelink button 2 or 3 times as Lexus manual suggests or should I press it and hold for 2 sec (as homelink manual suggests). What seems to work for my acura is just press/release it 2 times...

Anyway, I tried both ways without success for Lexus. I will try now to replace battery and to clean the opener memory. May be I have used all 7 memory slots already...

Last edited by max90034; 04-02-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-02-08, 07:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by max90034
Thanks for all responses. I've read Homelink instructions and I still a bit confused regarding the very last step: after I press learn button on the opener and walked to my car, should I just press/release homelink button 2 or 3 times as Lexus manual suggests or should I press it and hold for 2 sec (as homelink manual suggests). What seems to work for my acura is just press/release it 2 times...

Anyway, I tried both ways without success for Lexus. I will try now to replace battery and to clean the opener memory. May be I have used all 7 memory slots already...
PM me, i will help you i suggest you dont erase the memory of the opener unless you have all items to program back in. Not too hard just more work for you. I am pretty sure i can help you get it done. I will provide a phone number and can walk you thru it while you do it! Let me know

Quick Reply: problem to program garage door opener