IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus is 250/350 smart keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 01:06 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I think next time i order from sewell i will stock up on some batterys and store them in the car. I got a quick question:

When the fob dies, i know you have to use the metal key to get into the car but i cant turn the metal key in the hole under the door. ANY special trick?
I may be way off base here, but...you know the hole under the handle isn't the key hole, right? You have to stick your key in that hole to pry off the cover. The key hole is underneath.
Old 10-05-12, 06:06 AM
my1stis
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 Smartkey not responding- Help Pls

Originally Posted by is350power
just wondering if anyone here have changed there smart key battery. yet?
if so did you guys have to get the smart key to the dealer for them to program the smart key ,,,again??
I have 2007 IS250 and key was working perfectly until this morning. I saw a low battery alert while driving last week, so searched on CL to find out how to change battery. I ordered the batteries on ebay and waiting to receive them. I pop open the cover of the remote using the mechanical key a few nights ago just to learn how to open it when battery arrives, but when I tried using my key this morning to unlock the door it's not responding. There's a red light that comes on when i press the remote so still a little juice left in the remote but not sure if maybe not enough to unlock the doors? Would changing the battery fix the issue? Has anyone experienced this? Just hope I don't have to re-program this thing. I only have one remote.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-12, 08:56 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

What about this one:
Energizer CR1632 3 Volt Lithium Coin Battery pack of 5

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
The Energizer version has the "E" in front of it as shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Energizer-cr1632...QQcmdZViewItem

It's the same right? They have it labeled as "ECR1632" on the package.

At this rate, we should change our batteries every year.
Old 10-05-12, 09:45 AM
sallydrive
Driver

I got mine at the dealership because I was in a hurry, and didn't know back then, but they charged me $5 and did it for me here in Texas!
Old 10-05-12, 09:55 AM
bboysunone
Driver

I just take mine to radio shack they have the battery
Old 10-06-12, 07:08 AM
my1stis
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,
I have 2007 IS250 and key was working perfectly until this morning. I saw a low battery alert while driving last week, so searched on CL to find out how to change battery. I ordered the batteries on ebay and waiting to receive them. I pop open the cover of the remote using the mechanical key a few nights ago just to learn how to open it when battery arrives, but when I tried using my key this morning to unlock the door it's not responding. There's a red light that comes on when i press the remote so still a little juice left in the remote but not sure if maybe not enough to unlock the doors? Would changing the battery fix the issue? Has anyone experienced this? Just hope I don't have to re-program this thing. I only have one remote.

Update: Okay I just replaced the battery and remote is still not responding. Cannot unlock door or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-12, 09:32 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my1stis
Hi all,

Update: Okay I just replaced the battery and remote is still not responding. Cannot unlock door or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
You can use the mechanical key to unlock your doors and press the key fob into the the Push/Start button to start your car with a dead fob. I think it maybe the eBay batteries that aren't doing the job.

My story about the a dead key fob happened when I picked up my 2007 IS 250 AWD from Carmax, I tested the key fobs when I got home and noticed one was dead through testing the keys (no red light, but was able to unlock and start it with the key and dead fob). So I took the dead fob back to Carmax and they were able to give me a new battery (for free) as I already disassembled the fob and they put the new battery in and it worked.