IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My transmission went caput IS250 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 09:20 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowandlow
when my tranny is cold it dues not like to shift in to 6th gear.
Thats normal with all cars.
Old 04-01-08, 03:23 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Here's the update on my transmission ordeal. I won't be getting it back until tomorrow. I was suppose to pick the car up today. The SA called me and said they made a booboo. They installed the wrong transmission that was taken out from another IS250 with the same issue. Apparently this was not an isolated issue. Three IS250 was brought in for transmission related issue on the same week. SA mention Lexus gets about 1 transmission related issue maybe once a quarter. He offer to get my car detail for free. . He better not be pulling my strings. Never have my car detail before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Hope it turns out nice.

The problem is debris in the transmission itself ( could possible occur during the manufacturing process). In my case, the debris cause my solenoid to get stuck or freeze at certain point. As you may recall, my RPM went wild beyond 60mph. Another case reports was debris causing the gear to slip and drives very hard. Sorry if this doesn't make since. I have no idea what they were talking about, I'm just forwarding the information I got over the phone.

In later models (yes later models, the problem was fixed). I have a 2007, but I don't know when the manufacturing date is.
Old 04-01-08, 03:38 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Crazy man... that sounds sketchy. I hope my car doesn't fall victim to this! Hopefully Lexus has been aware of this as a reocurring problem and is looking to correct it.
Old 04-01-08, 06:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
The SA called me and said they made a booboo. They installed the wrong transmission that was taken out from another IS250 with the same issue.
This doesn't sound kosher. Why take the transmission out of another car in for the same issue?? That's crazy. I hope they weren't cannabilizing a NEW IS250 for the transmission; that would be unethical and completely wrong. If they did that I would run, RUN, from that dealership. New cars should not be used as a parts source for repairing customer's cars. Buyers would never know if they were getting a new car, or one that has been taken apart and put back together.
Old 04-01-08, 06:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This doesn't sound kosher. Why take the transmission out of another car in for the same issue?? That's crazy. I hope they weren't cannabilizing a NEW IS250 for the transmission; that would be unethical and completely wrong. If they did that I would run, RUN, from that dealership. New cars should not be used as a parts source for repairing customer's cars. Buyers would never know if they were getting a new car, or one that has been taken apart and put back together.
this does happen...i have worked for a dealer in the past, not saying all dealers are like this.
Old 04-01-08, 06:42 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

uh oh, are the es tranny issues creeping over to the IS?
Old 04-01-08, 07:11 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

And 90% of the people on here think its okay not to change the tranny fluid till 100k miles.
Old 04-01-08, 08:39 PM
MrxKvn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
And 90% of the people on here think its okay not to change the tranny fluid till 100k miles.
that is so bad for the tranny if this is true
Old 04-02-08, 06:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Mainly because it's not possible to change it. It's a sealed transmission. As you've been told about 20 times now.
Old 04-02-08, 06:34 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passnu2
your tranny is a goner! Had this happen in another make car years ago and went thru 4 of them...They will fix it under warranty and probably take about a week.
an acura?
Old 04-02-08, 07:12 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Mainly because it's not possible to change it. It's a sealed transmission. As you've been told about 20 times now.
word. i'd change tranny fluid also if it weren't sealed.
Old 04-02-08, 04:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Who said they were changing it at 100k miles? There is NO procedure in the service manual or the new car features manual for a fluid replacement. Only for servicing a transmission that has been repaired for some other fault, failure, or complete rebuild.

If you don't like it, and want to change it, you certainly can. In all likelihood, you'll do more damage than good, but hey, it's your car.
Old 04-02-08, 04:58 PM
sixth
Driver School Candidate

Damn...this is crazy...I have a 2006 250 AWD, i have a ton of hard shifts in full auto mode, only have 17000 miles on the car...
Old 04-02-08, 07:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost
an acura?
YEP had it happen on 2...TLS and then TL Aspec with the new body...went thru 7 trans total. 4 in the TLS AND 3 in the Aspec TL. Acura gave me $$ towards the Aspec TL to try to not loose my business. Its too bad as i did lease many cars for business and had purchased an NSX. After the Aspec started up with that same problem i was done.

I take it you had this problem also

Our tranny doesnt seem so good either IMO!
Old 04-02-08, 07:45 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, had a tl-s on its 3rd tranny.

Quick Reply: My transmission went caput IS250 2007