IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My trunk won't open...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 12:40 PM
2ManyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 Trunk Latch Issue

There have been many trunk latch issues on this forum, and I am now experiencing it with my 2006 LS460. I have read and implemented the various suggestions to no avail. Maybe a forum moderator, such as Micaiah/Bichon or bigblack06, can help me with my trunk issue. Key FOB, interior cabin switch, interior emergency trunk switch, exterior trunk electronic & manual key switches were not OPENING the trunk with the VALET switch in the OFF position. Solenoid appeared to be unlocking the latch using the emergency switch and key but not opening the trunk. Battery & fuse disconnect did not fix issue. Pulling up on trunk when unlocked "opened" the trunk". However, now it does not close, and I hope I did not "break" anything forcing it open. Trunk latch appears to be in a VALET closed position (solenoid pushing latch counter pin such that "C" clamp is in higher (10 O'clock versus 9) position. I also notice the electronic trunk "Close" switch does not work, and assumed it due to a interconnect that is not being satisfied (possibly the latch being in the closed position). However, when I put the latch in the open (6 O'clock) position, the trunk "Close" switch still doesn't work. The latch is placed into the "Open" (6 O'clock position by operation the emergency switch and THEN using the manual key. If the manual emergency switch is not used first, the key does not activate the solenoid to rotate the "C" clamp to the open position. I could care less about the trunk close switch operation, but need the trunk latch to operate properly. Based upon the operation of the latch when the trunk is open, I don't believe the trunk will open if I close it. Best I can tell is the VALET switch is broken such that the off position is not being sensed properly by the latch solenoid. Does the VALET switch circuit have a seperate fuse? What fuse panel & fuse # is it? Or is there a way I can troubleshoot the VALET switch? I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what this particular issue is or what I could try to fix it? It would be extremely helpful if I knew the various modes & interlocks of the trunk operation. Thanks, in advance!
Old 01-23-18, 05:30 PM
Marooned
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank You!

Thank God for this thread! I just bought my 2006 IS 250 on Friday and I was going to be real pissed if I had to take it back to the dealership for service already! I decided I should try this trick, and sure enough, it worked! Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-18, 07:40 AM
TedR
Driver School Candidate

10 years later and the fix worked like a charm.
Old 03-05-18, 06:11 PM
Nitrous23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate that valet button!
Old 05-05-18, 02:56 PM
gshannon19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RoyLPita
After getting the vehicle, I found out that the button in the glove box was in the disabled position. Now the trunk release switches all work.
hi how was it disabled... i pushed that button in my glovebox and it still didn’t work.. so I took it to the dealership and they couldnt get it open either... and said it was a severe impact that jammed my trunk and trunk escalator and recommended me to a collision shop but i had no impact or wreck ... i was not in any type of accident and no visual damage on outside of my car... I dont know what to do... i went to grocery store one day and it wouldn’t open
Old 01-03-19, 01:43 AM
TMTCOG
Driver School Candidate

Default nice one

Originally Posted by 15951
Push the little valet switch in your glove box.
it work perfectly well thanks a lot..
Old 01-19-20, 08:00 PM
StarX
Driver School Candidate

Default here is the Picture of button

picture of the button, open the glove box located at the front passenger seat, under the dash.
Old 01-20-20, 10:11 AM
2ManyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Trunk Latch Op

In follow-up to my trunk issue, problem was a faulty latch. White plastic position indicator was broken. Purchased new switch assembly from Amazon or Ebay for $120 and replaced it. Works fine now.
Old 01-20-20, 02:42 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Every once and a while my truck won’t open. I have to go in the glove box and push the switch.
it seems to switch on its own.
Old 09-07-20, 02:12 AM
shadley
2nd gear

Quick question, if I remove the battery terminals to test this fix, is there any security issues that I need to be aware of? I know some vehicles will require a security code for the stereo etc.
Old 09-07-20, 10:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by shadley
Quick question, if I remove the battery terminals to test this fix, is there any security issues that I need to be aware of? I know some vehicles will require a security code for the stereo etc.
You'll need to re-initialize the power windows (see the FAQ thread stickied to the top of the forum for details), but the stereo shouldn't need anything special after the battery is reconnected.
Old 02-22-21, 10:47 AM
Millano33
Driver School Candidate

Old 02-17-22, 03:10 AM
jojoslomka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
Push the little valet switch in your glove box.
THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH. Created a whole account just to comment this lmao
Old 03-31-22, 02:41 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

16yrs later..... my button been pushed.
Old 05-13-22, 10:35 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoganai
16yrs later..... my button been pushed.
Same! Had to reset my trunk button this morning!

Quick Reply: My trunk won't open...