IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Flickering headlights while driving and steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 09:00 AM
BXIS250
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flickering headlights while driving and steering?

I have a 2006 IS 250 with both Xenon and AFS.

A few months ago, it was occasionally. Now, it's very often / pretty much all the time. After some research and checking the factory service manual, by comparing the symptoms with the wiring diagrams, I managed to rule out the light bulbs and the relay, as only one relay supplies power for both bulbs. I suspect this shielded wire is worn, due to the repeated movement from left to right, as AFS is always on. Come to think of it, I haven't tried to drive with AFS turned off, so I'll give that a shot in the next few days and report back. It's pretty much always the left light when turning right, and the right headlight, while turning left, so I really do think the AFS motors are putting tension on the worn shielded wires or something, or causing them to very briefly short.

Has anyone had the OEM headlights flicker while steering before? Sometimes they even stop working. If I turn them off and on using the stalk, all is fine. Until they start flickering again, which can be a while, or immediately...

Because of the nature of how the electrical system is setup, and the wiring between the ballasts and the bulbs, this problem really sounds like faulty wiring to me, to be honest. But before I pull the bumper and headlights off to inspect them, I figured I'd ask if anyone has / had this problem before.

It really isn't a huge problem, as I have HCMotion headlights ready to be installed together with a 2021+ 3IS front bumper, but still, I would like working backup lights.
Old 09-01-22, 08:20 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

I have same issue but mine is self leveling headlight sensor were gone front and back, it flickers and constantly tries to adjust, I just pulled the afs fuse lol...
Old 09-02-22, 03:07 AM
BXIS250
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, yeah that's an option, too.

I think I nailed it in my previous post. I turned off the AFS last night, and immediately noticed no flickering, like, at all. Not when steering, at all. I tried hard steering, I wiggeld the wheel, went over roundabouts, wiggled the wheel in roundabouts, hard turns. I tried pretty much everything, nothing. So my in theory in post #1 seems to hold up for now.

The only time I noticed a single flicker was when going over a harsh bump. I think the wiring temporarily lost connection when going over it.

I'll try to make time to remove the bumper and headlights to inspect them later next week and report back.
Old 09-02-22, 06:49 AM
NeoG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be as simple as the headlight connectors need to be cleaned.. If pulling out the plugs and putting them back in a few times reduces the effect that is probably the culprit