IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to the Lexus world...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 04:12 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a pros and cons thread out there? My original choice was to stay in the suby family and get a legacy GT

Trying to move into something different tho
Old 02-10-08, 06:11 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search of IS350 or 250 in the Car Chat section of the general discussions, I think someone did a review for the 250 and the 350 there, quite a complete one too.

actually its here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329337

The IS forum is made up of about 70% 350 owners so you will be plenty biased towards a 350. Honestly to me, the awd 250 dont feel slow at all, my previous car was an 2000 Integra and I love reving it high whenever I drive it since the fuel economy is good- however I can achieve the same in the 250 without evening make it past 2.5k rev when I accelerate. Also with the proper technique on the paddles you can go plenty fast with the 250... though low end torque is a bit blah

Space wise, the back seats are basically useless, unless you're like me in College and your friends are either in College too or still in high school lol. If you are tall, like over 6 feet, then even middle school kids wont be able to fit in your back seat behind you.

The trunk space is also very small, its a bit on the shallow side compare to what you are used to I think, and also the trunk is shaped weirdly to hide all components with carpets and padding so if youre gonna try to fit in luggage usually the side spaces near the wheel wells are unusable due to low ceilings. Also, no folding back seats.

I am sure the 350 is mighty fast, might even be night and day's difference like the lancer and lancer evo. Unless you crave the speed, I dont see a big need for the 350. Dont listen when they tell you the 250 is so slow lol, its a fast car by normal standards, just not the "fast" kind where you can do 0-60 in under 6 secs.

For a daily driver 250 does the job just fine, I use the 250 for my commute too, its refined, comfortable, looks sleek, and pretty quick and handles well too. Very nice car, if you really push it, you can get yourself in all kind of trouble and near death situations without needing the extra speed from the 350... maybe if you prefer to get off the line quicker at a light lol

Also no comment on rwd vs awd, my Integra only has ABS, so anything with modern stability features are amazing and makes me feel safe lol

Last edited by mikez; 02-10-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-10-08, 06:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by venZon
Yes well it's either a used 350 or a new 250... What ever I can get my hands on. Thanks for the comments guys.

Also what are the pros and cons you can think of the on your cars? Is the 350 worth the extra money? RWD vs AWD?

thanks
main differences b/t the 250 and 350 is the obvious bigger engine and the 350 has larger brake rotors and calipers, other than that the rest is the same
Old 02-10-08, 06:27 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS is really small and being that you can't fold down the rear seats makes it even worse.

Don't you live in Canada where it snows? I think the smarter choice is to get the Legacy for it being awd.

If you get an IS250 will it be awd? IS350 only comes in rwd.
Old 02-10-08, 06:29 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking at the 250 RWD mainly one the price and 2 it's standard. Not too big on the paddle shifter. But I guess I can't knock it until I try.
Old 02-10-08, 06:37 PM
fabrolous
Driver School Candidate

jus wonderin, u trading in ur subie bro? oh n heads up, the sales manager at woodhaven lexus is a jerk!
Old 02-10-08, 06:40 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL. I too got sick of the noise from my daily driver and I may have kids some day so I felt it would be a good change to get a new DD with some power in it. But i also needed power and great handling. And wishbone suspension was an absolute must. That pretty much narrowed down my search.

BTW, That J-spec DC2 look sick whats been done to it?
Old 02-10-08, 08:22 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Coming from a "tuner" car like the impreza, you'll be really disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support for the 2nd gen IS, a handfull of cosmetic mods, exhausts, and suspension, that's it.
On the other hand, the reason I got away from tuner cars is because I wanted a really nice interior that was quiet, with a great stereo (ML w/nav), and a shiftable automatic (which was kind of a let down). But I also did not want to step down in power, thats why I got a 350.
I was really leaning toward a Legacy GT, Subaru's are great cars with awesome reliablity, tons of aftermarket support, and a great group of enthusiasts. What swayed me to the IS was I got a smokin good deal on it (I could still make money on it if I were to sell it tomorrow), great motor, RWD, and the above mentioned interior and stereo amenities.
The CONS, very little in the way of after market tuning, I'm not in to cosmetic BS, if it doesn't make it faster, I don't want it. And, I know I'll get flammed for this, with the exception of a handful of knowledgable, level headed members, there are a great number of whiney babies that complain about every little thing, threaten to sue about dumb crap, and in general think they are special because they drive a Lexus. As Nice as I think my IS is, it is the bottom rung on Lexus' line up and it ain't that great, but it is really nice.
Old 02-10-08, 09:06 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Its pretty simple. Test drive both. If you are about speed...then get a used 350. If not, then AWD 250...

I got a 250 RWD cause i wanted stick...no regrets, but i know I will lose money trying to sell it in canada because its not AWD. and a Stick lexus is always harder to sell. And make sure you test drive the stick for a while too...its kinda weird. You can search the forums here for some stick issues. 1st to second can be a problem. I would suggest AWD 250.

other than that...its really a fantastic car. So smooth...sexy and quiet. Ladies LOVE it and men hate you :P.

welcome to CL!

oh and i would highly suggest getting the navigation...i reallllllllly regret not getting that option.
Old 02-10-08, 09:49 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Giggity
Coming from a "tuner" car like the impreza, you'll be really disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support for the 2nd gen IS, a handfull of cosmetic mods, exhausts, and suspension, that's it.
On the other hand, the reason I got away from tuner cars is because I wanted a really nice interior that was quiet, with a great stereo (ML w/nav), and a shiftable automatic (which was kind of a let down). But I also did not want to step down in power, thats why I got a 350.
I was really leaning toward a Legacy GT, Subaru's are great cars with awesome reliablity, tons of aftermarket support, and a great group of enthusiasts. What swayed me to the IS was I got a smokin good deal on it (I could still make money on it if I were to sell it tomorrow), great motor, RWD, and the above mentioned interior and stereo amenities.
The CONS, very little in the way of after market tuning, I'm not in to cosmetic BS, if it doesn't make it faster, I don't want it. And, I know I'll get flammed for this, with the exception of a handful of knowledgable, level headed members, there are a great number of whiney babies that complain about every little thing, threaten to sue about dumb crap, and in general think they are special because they drive a Lexus. As Nice as I think my IS is, it is the bottom rung on Lexus' line up and it ain't that great, but it is really nice.
I too stepped away from a "tuner" car that was very popular during its days. I still have the Integra and will be selling it this summer and that car has been thru hell and back in my hands and never gave up. It taught me everything I could think off, both in success and lot of dissappointments but it was there to share and teach me something everytime I had to learn. I couldn't see myself taking home a new born from the hospital in it. I couldn't even take my parents for a ride in it. The car would give you a headache after driving it for a couple of hours. It performed awesome but it got old soon. And everywhere you went some cheap Civic owner wanted the engine in it so it could only head to and from work. Over the course of 10 years of owning this car I had kicked the crap out of off over a dozen punks who had tried or successfully broke into it to either steal something or the car. Sooner or later I knew that either I would get caught in the act or I would kill someone. Lets just say they all got a through make over and they weren't comming back for more. Besides I don't need to either be worried about the car or boil my blood after the incidents.

The IS was a sound purchase after contemplating several different competitors models. I too love my IS but I know that it isn't all that. Like you've mentioned it is the runt of the "L" and I don't need to mount it on a pedastal for the world to see and make a fool of myself.

Every dealer would initiate an IS owner as someone who purchased a bottle of wine with $7 in their pocket. But only a few would work with you as they know that the vehicle is meant for the entry level and that brand loyalty is very important for this manufacturer. If matters came to get handled, I'm sure I could address it diplomatically. A law suit is something I don't ever wan't to get involved in regardless of which end of the rope I'm on. My time is much more valuable for me.
Old 02-10-08, 11:07 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Club. Can't wait to see what kinda mods you do to the IS once you make ur mind up. The IS250 AWD is the way to go if u are going for the 250. It handles like a dream in any weather.
Old 02-11-08, 08:51 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PNice972
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaIS350
My previous car was a 2003 Cobra.. Last dyno was 447 rwhp. I got the IS350 as I have been craving a car with a nice interior for many years. All my earlier cars were also American V8's with crappy interiors.

The IS350 is tons more fun to drive. Handles better, really nice interior, nice ride, good to look at. There is more to life then just horsepower, and this Lexus proves it.

I second that all the way!!!
Old 02-11-08, 09:14 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fabrolous
jus wonderin, u trading in ur subie bro? oh n heads up, the sales manager at woodhaven lexus is a jerk!
I'm going to try to sell it privatly in spring. I have about $10 000 put in to her and I know that means nother when you use it as a trade in.

I talked to a guy named Rob I think his name was at woodhaven.

thanks for all the coments guy. I'm at work so I'll get back to the rest of you later.
Old 02-11-08, 10:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to CL!

nice pics!

time to post some new pics with your IS!
Old 02-11-08, 12:02 PM
2008IS350
Driver School Candidate

Awesome shots!

Quick Reply: New to the Lexus world...