ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Negotiating and Trade in for IS350...? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/329120-negotiating-and-trade-in-for-is350.html)

Tony26 01-11-08 11:47 PM

Negotiating and Trade in for IS350...?

I want to trade in my car and is wondering what is the best way to go about negotiating a price for a 2008 IS350? Any help or tips will be great. Thanks!

PhilipMSPT 01-12-08 12:07 AM

The best way is to sell your current car is to privately sell instead of through a dealer. You'll be able to sell your car nearer KBB value.

However, trading a car is definately less hasslesome and less risk is involved. You basically take a hit for the convenience.

The best tips: remove anything that is not stock and sell those separately (like if you got aftermarket wheels and such). Negotiate the trade-in price just like negotiating the new car price; don't settle with either number if you are not happy with it. Beyond car and trade-in price, make sure you get good financing, extra perks (such as free/pre-paid maintenance, or car related stuff such as alarm systems or tint or the such), and extended warranty.

For the IS, make sure that you print out the invoice price and MSRP price of all the models and options, and basically tell your dealer what you will be more than willing to pay (an IS350 in SoCal is typically sold about $2k above invoice). Give them a price that is maximum for you (but let it be fair). If they accept, go for it. If not, go to another dealer.

Good luck!

Tony26 01-12-08 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT (Post 3187717)
The best way is to sell your current car is to privately sell instead of through a dealer. You'll be able to sell your car nearer KBB value.

However, trading a car is definately less hasslesome and less risk is involved. You basically take a hit for the convenience.

The best tips: remove anything that is not stock and sell those separately (like if you got aftermarket wheels and such). Negotiate the trade-in price just like negotiating the new car price; don't settle with either number if you are not happy with it. Beyond car and trade-in price, make sure you get good financing, extra perks (such as free/pre-paid maintenance, or car related stuff such as alarm systems or tint or the such), and extended warranty.

For the IS, make sure that you print out the invoice price and MSRP price of all the models and options, and basically tell your dealer what you will be more than willing to pay (an IS350 in SoCal is typically sold about $2k above invoice). Give them a price that is maximum for you (but let it be fair). If they accept, go for it. If not, go to another dealer.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm heading out tomorrow to look at some dealers. I've already been pre-approved a loan to cover a bargin IS350. Guess I'll have to take off my after market rims, headunit and audio from the car. We'll see how it goes.

iSuxeL 01-12-08 06:47 AM

Always try to part out the car cause you'll get more money that way.

sirkfc 01-12-08 06:49 AM

and go back in time to the end of December if your flex capacitor is working....

It does seem like prices stiffened up for the 08's vs 07's same time last year, but then again, the economy will have its say as it gets worse.