IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 11:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Help with search for DIY+change+citylights (aka parking lights)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 03:06 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with search for DIY+change+citylights (aka parking lights)

I have tried every combo and read through most of the lighting mods. I am pretty sure I can figure it out, and remember a thread where JoeZ said it was very easy. I would like to find the DIY before I just jump in and start swapping out.

I have tried the following search strings.
DIY+city
DIY+citylights
DIY+city+lights
citylights
change+city
change+citylights

thanks.
Old 12-04-07, 04:03 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man... I can't find it either. I thought I saw one a while ago, but I can't find it. I can tell you the steps, but no pics. Since you did some custom exhaust stuff (was just reading that huge thread), I think you can figure out what I'm talking about.

You'll need:
- socket wrench
- 6" extension
- 10mm socket
- flathead screwdriver
- latex gloves

Steps:
  1. Remove the plastic covers for all three sides.
  2. Remove the windshield washer fluid tubing.
    1. Connected to the mouth, you'll see a bolt locking it down to the frame. Remove it.
    2. Grab the tube and pull straight up. It'll pop out.
  3. Remove the intake air filter box.
    1. Remove the cold air scoop. It's the plastic thing sitting in the front of the engine compartment, dead center.
      1. There's a plastic tab on the left side, which has a center piece and an outer ring. Wedge the flathead into between the center and the ring and try to push the center piece up. You might have to work around the entire edge, but it'll eventually pop up.
      2. On the right side, there's a 10mm bolt. Undo that.
      3. The scoop should be able to slip right out of the intake box.
    2. There are two bolts holding the filter down to the engine compartment.
      1. One is connected to the side (near the wheel well). It's pretty obvious.
      2. One is connected to the frame in front of the box and straight down. You may need a flashlight. You'll definitely need the 6" extension, but the bolt is in line-of-sight.
    3. Remove the intake pipe.
      1. You can use the 10mm socket on the bolt holding the clamp.
      2. Unplug the sensor wiring (don't know the name of it). You'll also have to remove the clip holding the otherwise loose wire to the side of the intake box. Just pull.
    4. Wiggle the box a little bit and you should be able to pull it straight out.
  4. On either side, you'll see two plastic covers with a metal bar across it. The one pointing to the front is for the highbeam (DRL) and the parking lights. The one pointing to the side of the car is for the lowbeams.
    1. Push the bar away from the center of the cover. It should swing away on a hinge.
    2. Rotate the cover in the opposite direction of the bar. You should then be able to pull it straight out.
  5. Remove the parking light.
    1. Grab the housing with the connector and twist (I forgot which direction, but I think it's clockwise). It should loosen.
    2. Pull it out of reflector housing.
    3. With the latex gloves on, pull straight on the parking light. It should pop out of the socket.

Now you can replace it and do everything in reverse to put it back together.

NOTE: When you disconnect the air filter sensor, the "Check VSC" light may come on. I don't know why. The engine checks on a timer, not on engine starts, so you'll have to drive around for a while before it checks again and goes away. (It may also be possible that I had turned the car on [electrical only, not the engine] with the intake missing, causing the light to go on, so if you don't do that, you may not see the problem.)

NOTE 2: Putting back on the windshield washer fluid hose requires a bit of strength at the part closest to the tank, so you'll need to get your hand in there and give it a firm shove. You'll hear it pop back in. Then bolt it into place.

Last edited by mikeho; 12-04-07 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixed the formatting, added note, typo/note 2
Old 12-04-07, 07:38 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

mikeho - You could not have wrote that any clearer and easier. Very descriptive and simple. I appreciate your time. Matter of fact, when i do this on saturday I am going to take pics at each step. I'll post a DIY+change+citylights thread so people can find it in a search and give you credits on instructions.

Thanks again.

What's funny is I swear there was at least 2 threads with pictures of people doing this. God I hate PHP search capabilities.
Old 12-04-07, 07:46 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

comb, your overthinking this, its really simple. Besides its in the manual
Old 12-04-07, 08:08 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

unless your hands are super huge u don't really need to remove the air filter box to gain access to the parking light bulb. that'll cut the install time in half or more.
Old 12-04-07, 09:16 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Oh ok. I hadn't even looked to see what was involved. I just remember people saying it was a ***** and that there was some threads somewhere. Searching thru the lighting thread is like searching in the custom exhaust thread

I got the 5led refracting from vleds. Hope it looks better than the yellow city lights. I did the puddle lights already, and it came out ok. Still not bright enough for me , but better than the yellow.

thanks yall.
Old 12-04-07, 09:26 PM
walter250
Driver School Candidate

I just took my city lights out today, pretty easy. I was able to do it by just removing the engine cover(s). Then pop of the cap(s) on the backside of the headlights. Grab the City light socket turn left for loose right for tight. Twist socket left remove, replace repeat. I actually did not even bother replacing mine, if anyone can tell what the purpose is for the city lights I'd be interested in knowing. I hated the look of my 8k HID next to a dirty white city light.
Old 12-04-07, 10:17 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
Oh ok. I hadn't even looked to see what was involved. I just remember people saying it was a ***** and that there was some threads somewhere. Searching thru the lighting thread is like searching in the custom exhaust thread

I got the 5led refracting from vleds. Hope it looks better than the yellow city lights. I did the puddle lights already, and it came out ok. Still not bright enough for me , but better than the yellow.

thanks yall.
I got the same LEDs! They look great! If you have HIDs though, they get overpowered, but at least there isn't that yellow glow to them.

It really depends on what you consider as saving time. I tried changing them without the filter box, but the angle is so awkward that I found it easier to just pull the filter box out, give myself more room to make the change, then put it back in. You can try without, but getting that cover off and on is a bit trickier. If you know what to look for, removing the filter box is a synch.

Let me put it in perspective. This was my first mod. On a car. EVER. Going through those steps took me less than 20 min to change the bulbs.
Old 12-04-07, 10:20 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by walter250
I just took my city lights out today, pretty easy. I was able to do it by just removing the engine cover(s). Then pop of the cap(s) on the backside of the headlights. Grab the City light socket turn left for loose right for tight. Twist socket left remove, replace repeat. I actually did not even bother replacing mine, if anyone can tell what the purpose is for the city lights I'd be interested in knowing. I hated the look of my 8k HID next to a dirty white city light.
That's why you use LEDs... I got the same ones combfilter did. Next to my 6000K HIDs, they look the same in color. I believe the parking lights are merely to balance out the light across the entire light housing, so instead of just getting two spotlights, you get the cool glow of the entire housing with that sweet, aggressive look.
Old 12-04-07, 10:21 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
unless your hands are super huge u don't really need to remove the air filter box to gain access to the parking light bulb. that'll cut the install time in half or more.
I'm Chinese. My hands are small and I still had a hard time, so I opted to just remove stuff. It's totally up to the person doing it. If you find one way easier, just do it that way instead.
Old 12-04-07, 10:51 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

^i'm glad i didn't get the small parts of the chinese half! haha
Old 12-04-07, 10:56 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hapaboy
^i'm glad i didn't get the small parts of the chinese half! haha
LoL! HEY!! No one said the rest of my parts were small!
Old 12-05-07, 08:48 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mikeho for the DIY info! You are an asset to CL!
Old 12-06-07, 12:25 AM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by combfilter
I have tried every combo and read through most of the lighting mods. I am pretty sure I can figure it out, and remember a thread where JoeZ said it was very easy. I would like to find the DIY before I just jump in and start swapping out.

I have tried the following search strings.
DIY+city
DIY+citylights
DIY+city+lights
citylights
change+city
change+citylights

thanks.
about to do it this weekend too.... i went with the 9 SMT vleds...

let me know how it goes....
Old 12-06-07, 12:37 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
LoL! HEY!! No one said the rest of my parts were small!
Yea you dont need too that why I'm so glad im hapa

BACK TO TOPIC:

Here vled 5smt white:

One more:

looks much better irl

Quick Reply: Help with search for DIY+change+citylights (aka parking lights)