IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

shark fin antenna . where to get it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 09:39 AM
QueInSoMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here installed the sharkfin on a '06 by drilling into the hood?

I installed the Sirius radio kit last weekend and want to install a functional sharkfin as well. Right now my Sat Ant is sitting on the rear deck.

Anyone with an '07 that can provide measurements (how far off the rear glass, etc.) for an exact placement. I'm going to try to create a template this weekend.

I ordered the pre-painted sharkfin from www.lexuspartsmall.com for $80. Interestly they didn't have it listed as a "sharkfin" or "radio" antenna but rather as a "telephone" antenna. Also make sure you order the mounting nut as it is not included.
Old 11-28-07, 11:14 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Are you going to use it for XM, or just for show? Personally, I think the '06's looked a lot better without the shark fin, especially if you have a roof spoiler. Just my opinion.
I couldn't agree more - I'm so glad I have an '06 for that reason alone. Although, I might would trade the clean roof for a TRAC disable button...

Javier
Old 11-28-07, 11:16 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I couldn't agree more - I'm so glad I have an '06 for that reason alone. Although, I might would trade the clean roof for a TRAC disable button...

Javier
Lucky me
Old 11-28-07, 11:36 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

If you trying to get the fin to fuction as what it suppose to do as an antenna, it will cost you arm+leg becuase drilling on roof and rewiring to your deck will be required. If you just want to get the eye candy effect, you will need to get the part and shave it down (some minor machinshop work) and just 3M tape it.

You can order the parts from any Lex dealer or just get it from our vendors. I have a shaved & never mounted one in onyx-bule... let me know if you want it for less.

Joseph
Old 11-28-07, 11:42 AM
MPstyle
Driver

Problem with taking it off is this;

All the navigation is wired through the antenna, 06 models is in the window. You cannopt order a new rear window becuase it is a supercession of numbers, so they did away with it.

If you still want to remove the antenna yu have to drope the headliner first, then disconnect the wires. You will need to re-wire and relocate the antenna to somewhere inconspicuous.

I know this becuase I have a CF one from Japan and am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I may just look in a junkyard for a new rear window.
Old 11-28-07, 12:13 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

the 06 nav antenna is the rear window and the 07 and up is in the sharkfin? any idea why they changed it?
Old 11-28-07, 12:23 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MPstyle
Problem with taking it off is this;

All the navigation is wired through the antenna, 06 models is in the window. You cannopt order a new rear window becuase it is a supercession of numbers, so they did away with it.

If you still want to remove the antenna yu have to drope the headliner first, then disconnect the wires. You will need to re-wire and relocate the antenna to somewhere inconspicuous.

I know this becuase I have a CF one from Japan and am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I may just look in a junkyard for a new rear window.

LOL you need to do more research you got all wrong

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
the 06 nav antenna is the rear window and the 07 and up is in the sharkfin? any idea why they changed it?
Nope you got all wrong
the nav antenna has always been in the back of the rear view mirror.
The sharkfin is for XM radio. the rear window antenna is for am/fm radio
Old 11-28-07, 06:45 PM
ghollett1
Driver School Candidate

Sharkfin is for the XM Radio only, I am about to install it on my 2006 IS350, ordered the fin, nut and clip from Lexus of Pembroke Pines, Egusman made the antenna cable from fin to XM receiver located in trunk, drill two holes in the roof, one hour labour at body shop and I'm done.
Old 06-12-17, 11:03 PM
Dems562
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by josephdoc
If you trying to get the fin to fuction as what it suppose to do as an antenna, it will cost you arm+leg becuase drilling on roof and rewiring to your deck will be required. If you just want to get the eye candy effect, you will need to get the part and shave it down (some minor machinshop work) and just 3M tape it.

You can order the parts from any Lex dealer or just get it from our vendors. I have a shaved & never mounted one in onyx-bule... let me know if you want it for less.

Joseph
hi joseph im just doing it for rhe look on the roof i have it ready to install and all but what is the measurments from the back of the fin to the rear window let me know thanks
Old 06-14-17, 07:38 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .............

I did my 06 for the looks only and I do have to top rear spoiler too. I bought a used one same color as my car. You have to gut out the screw and electronics this is done by removing a few small phillip screws. Treat the roof area with alcohol then 3m tape the fin into position....done.