IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

auto-folding outside mirrors...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 08:51 PM
rjm07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto-folding outside mirrors...?

Just noticed this on the Lexus '08 IS spec page. "Power Mirrors Power-adjustable, auto-folding outside mirrors with puddle lamps"

Do the 08's have auto-folding mirrors?

Cheers

RJM07
Old 10-06-07, 08:53 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

i think its a mis print
Old 10-06-07, 09:02 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I have an 08' and I can confirm that it does not have auto-folding mirrors. I don't think the luxury package has it either.
Old 10-06-07, 09:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a mistake on the web site. It's been like this since the 2nd gen was introduced a couple of years ago.
Old 10-07-07, 05:27 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

My 2008 does not have them. This feature doesn't exist on the IS built for North America. This might exist on another version of the IS built for some other part of the world though and maybe got accidentally stuck on the U.S. spec page.
Old 10-07-07, 07:28 AM
rjm07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It's a mistake on the web site. It's been like this since the 2nd gen was introduced a couple of years ago.
ahhh... ok. Thx
Old 10-07-07, 11:25 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

It is NOT a MISPRINT. it is correct. The mirrors are POWER adjustable. They are also AUTO FOLDING, meaning that if you bump them, they will collapse easily so that they do not break.

I've emailed Lexus about this a couple years ago when it used to say that the mirrors were power adjustable, and folding. They now cleared it up and stated them separately.
Old 10-07-07, 11:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Auto folding mirrors aren't a big deal to me but outside shell blinker lights is what I want.
Old 10-08-07, 07:37 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inecstaz
It is NOT a MISPRINT. it is correct. The mirrors are POWER adjustable. They are also AUTO FOLDING, meaning that if you bump them, they will collapse easily so that they do not break.

I've emailed Lexus about this a couple years ago when it used to say that the mirrors were power adjustable, and folding. They now cleared it up and stated them separately.
What do you mean if you "BUMP" them they will collapse? That doesnt make any sense at all, the information is correct because if you set you adjustment switch to L/R then the mirrors do AUTO FOLD when going to reverse and such. And being POWER ADJUSTABLE is self explanatory.
Old 10-08-07, 07:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
What do you mean if you "BUMP" them they will collapse? That doesnt make any sense at all, the information is correct because if you set you adjustment switch to L/R then the mirrors do AUTO FOLD when going to reverse and such. And being POWER ADJUSTABLE is self explanatory.
Not true. We are talking about the list of STANDARD features. Power tilting rear view mirrors (when in reverse) is not a standard feature--it is with the lux/sport packages. While I don't know that I would refer to this as "Auto Folding", if you pull too close to an object (like the garage door molding, like my wife does way too many times in our Pilot), the mirrow will fold in, rather than snap off.
Old 10-08-07, 10:07 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by inecstaz

Lol if you want to consider that auto folding than ok... but I think what the OP was referring to was the ability to fold the mirrors with the touch of a button. Much like the BMW 3 Series.

I believe that all IS's in Japan have this function.
Old 10-08-07, 11:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
Lol if you want to consider that auto folding than ok... but I think what the OP was referring to was the ability to fold the mirrors with the touch of a button. Much like the BMW 3 Series.

I believe that all IS's in Japan have this function.
I would not have referred to this feature as an "Auto Folding" mirror, but since it's been listed as a std feature for quite a while, Lexus must disagree. If it was a typo, they'd have fixed it by now.
Old 10-08-07, 11:59 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would not have referred to this feature as an "Auto Folding" mirror, but since it's been listed as a std feature for quite a while, Lexus must disagree. If it was a typo, they'd have fixed it by now.
Good Point. I think the term "Auto Folding" should not be used to define mirrors that only fold when they are pushed by hand or any other object. Just call them folding mirrors. Our "Auto Power Windows" roll down at the touch of a button, with that definition you would think that "Auto Folding Mirrors" would do the same.
Old 10-08-07, 12:23 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not true. We are talking about the list of STANDARD features. Power tilting rear view mirrors (when in reverse) is not a standard feature--it is with the lux/sport packages. While I don't know that I would refer to this as "Auto Folding", if you pull too close to an object (like the garage door molding, like my wife does way too many times in our Pilot), the mirrow will fold in, rather than snap off.
I did not know it wasnt standard
Old 10-08-07, 01:12 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

There is nothing 'Auto' about that. That's like saying the glass is 'auto breaking' when you hit it with a pipe or tires are 'auto-leaking' when you get a nail in them.

If that's not a typo, it really should be.

Quick Reply: auto-folding outside mirrors...?