IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Almost had a heart attack driving home in my IS last night.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 04:36 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost had a heart attack driving home in my IS last night.

I was on my way home from work last night. I took the same highway I always do, and as I'm going about 65mph while making a slight 15 degree turn to the right, my drivers side door opens! My right hand jerked and knocked the shifter into S mode accidentally, and I immediately grabbed the door with my left hand and my wheel with my right hand.

Luckily becuse of the wind resistance, the door only opened halfway. I was fortunate that there wasn't an accident and there was no damage since I was driving in the left lane near the highway divider.

I was just in a new '07 Acura TSX and the door was closed but just not hard enough, and the car was sending door open warnings. I am shocked that there were absolutely no warning lights that the door was not secure at all.
Old 08-18-07, 04:41 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

Wow that is incredible, ive never heard of anything like that, thank god your ok and your IS.
Old 08-18-07, 04:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow im going outside right now to check if my car doesnt have warning lites.

*edit* whew, i guess thats something you take for granted, i tried closing the door ever so slightly (engine on/in d/footbrake off) and theres a tone/red lite and in the temp display there are warnings.

Musta been a fluke thing but goto your dealer and check that out, thats a major safety thingy.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 08-18-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-18-07, 04:52 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
I was on my way home from work last night. I took the same highway I always do, and as I'm going about 65mph while making a slight 15 degree turn to the right, my drivers side door opens! My right hand jerked and knocked the shifter into S mode accidentally, and I immediately grabbed the door with my left hand and my wheel with my right hand.

Luckily becuse of the wind resistance, the door only opened halfway. I was fortunate that there wasn't an accident and there was no damage since I was driving in the left lane near the highway divider.

I was just in a new '07 Acura TSX and the door was closed but just not hard enough, and the car was sending door open warnings. I am shocked that there were absolutely no warning lights that the door was not secure at all.
Glad you are ok!
Old 08-18-07, 04:59 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
wow im going outside right now to check if my car doesnt have warning lites.

*edit* whew, i guess thats something you take for granted, i tried closing the door ever so slightly (engine on/in d/footbrake off) and theres a tone/red lite and in the temp display there are warnings.

Musta been a fluke thing but goto your dealer and check that out, thats a major safety thingy.
I've tested it at home in my driveway. The car has a constant beep if the door is open and I'm in R or D. But this happened after driving three miles from work and not until I hit the highway.
Old 08-18-07, 05:05 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo

Sounds like James Bond . But im happy your alright
Old 08-18-07, 05:14 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

doesn't your doors locked once you shift away from park?
Old 08-18-07, 05:18 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThoLe
doesn't your doors locked once you shift away from park?
I thought they did.
Old 08-18-07, 05:27 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thats crazy... Im am pretty sure you are the only one here that has happened to. Glad you werent hurt though.