IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pot hole VS Sevas s22!!!!!PICS ADDED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 12:05 AM
D&G
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** that is pretty scary to have the entire circle crack away from the wheel itself. What size tires where your running on those Sevas? I would give Sevas wheels a shout in terms of warrenty. Let us know how everything works out. Goodluck bro!!

Any pics of how the wheel looks from the front?
Old 08-09-07, 01:18 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What PSI were you running your tires on?
Old 08-09-07, 05:35 AM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Any more updates on your wheels??? Curious George wants to know....
Old 08-09-07, 11:06 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Nice, looks like a very thin barrel.

I wouldn't buy wheels from them ... thats just me though ;P
+1

im sticking to the reliable brands like volk, Work and Advan. proven performance rims..........

Sevas look nice, but its what they are made of and how they are made that matters.
Old 08-09-07, 11:09 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swisha
iforgery are known to have hairline cracks that end up to being a bigger problem. There was one incident with HRE at a track where the center piece broke in all 5 spots, but the car it was on was a viper which had hella torque to the wheel. SSR are known to be called super soft rims which i guess in some case bend a lot.

Only rims i never heard problems about are DPE, BBS, VOLKS, and WORK.
yeah, i saw that picture and article, BAD.

in fact didnt they ban HRE's on the track at certain events?

Here is what i know and i may be wrong. Multipeice rims do not generally have a forged barrel, just the centers. My 22" billet specialties have been rehooped twice for being bent, and they cost almost 2k a wheel. You would expect more for that price, but that is what they told me at Billet specialties, the hoop is soft, but its the face that is forged then CNC milled to the the design specs.

oh well.
Old 08-09-07, 11:27 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
A forged wheel that took this kind of impact may not have cracked but it sure would bent really bad.
A bent rim may get you out of an accident. If you lose the entire barrel, it's like losing the wheel. Not good!

Steve
Old 08-09-07, 11:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
yeah, i saw that picture and article, BAD.

in fact didnt they ban HRE's on the track at certain events?

Here is what i know and i may be wrong. Multipeice rims do not generally have a forged barrel, just the centers. My 22" billet specialties have been rehooped twice for being bent, and they cost almost 2k a wheel. You would expect more for that price, but that is what they told me at Billet specialties, the hoop is soft, but its the face that is forged then CNC milled to the the design specs.

oh well.
You are wrong.
Some wheels, like Maya, Lowenhart and some Work have cast face with forged barrels.
Other wheels like HRE, AZA forged and many others are fully forged wheels. If properly constructed, they are lighter and stronger, resisting cracks. Since they are lighter, they often bend more than cast but not crack. You can't abuse any forged wheels. This means you have to try to avoid potholes and curbs, go slow of tracks. Cast wheels usually are strong and heavy but you can abuse them if desired. I rammed the heck out of my Sevas and it didn't show no sign of the impact. My Maya lip was bent with a light tap of the curb. It's almost illogical to buy multipiece forged wheels, not only because they can bend easily but they also need to be babied to maintain the great looks. BUT, they do look great.
Old 08-09-07, 11:30 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man.....I was about to call Derrick to order a set....Thanks for giving the heads up...
The good thing is that you're ok....that's all that matter...
Old 08-09-07, 12:37 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twitch
I'm already in contact with the manufacturer. I emailed them Sunday night and they responded Monday morning. So from your all your answers we pretty much all agree that there was probably a manufacture defect with this wheel. I obviously will ask for a another wheel from them, but should I ask to have all of my wheels exchange just incase they are defected too?
I would say no. I just went through another similar problem but with my tires. I just had one of the tires replaced today. If something happens again, the company will know why.
Old 08-09-07, 09:16 PM
twitch
Rookie

Originally Posted by D&G
**** that is pretty scary to have the entire circle crack away from the wheel itself. What size tires where your running on those Sevas? I would give Sevas wheels a shout in terms of warrenty. Let us know how everything works out. Goodluck bro!!

Any pics of how the wheel looks from the front?
Actually the front is in perfect condition other than a slight bend where it impacted the pot hole.
Old 08-09-07, 09:17 PM
twitch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hartawan
What PSI were you running your tires on?
36psi in the front and 37 in the rear.
Old 08-09-07, 09:18 PM
twitch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tony59blue
Any more updates on your wheels??? Curious George wants to know....
Nothing really has happened since my first email. Hopefully I'll get another responce from the manufacture soon. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-09-07, 11:50 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cspec
Yep... Sticking with Volk and Works...
even some cheap one piece chrome wheels wouldn't crack like that. i've hit some bad potholes with the rotas on my civic and they're fine.
Old 08-10-07, 01:42 AM
D&G
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twitch
36psi in the front and 37 in the rear.
Quote me if I am wrong but I was once told by a tire shop to have at least 42psi for after market wheels 19inch and up to prevent wheel bending/cracking from pot holes. Especially if you are running 30 or 35 series tires.
Old 08-10-07, 01:59 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hit a large pot hole at 60MPH. Bent the hell out of the rim but never craked in half like that. I've bent a lot of rims in my time but none has ever cracked like that

Quick Reply: Pot hole VS Sevas s22!!!!!PICS ADDED!