Print Wikipost

DIY: 2007 ISX50 OEM XM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 10:12 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusTexas
How long was the total install time? (never mind, found you said it was a couple of hours)

How do these work with the non-nav radio's?

Great write-up.
I have never seen XM installed on a non nav model so I couldnt tell ya. However I have read that it does still display song titles and artist names.

Originally Posted by Bill3508
Very nice writeup. Where is the antenna in this? I thought I read the shark fin was not the factory XM ant.

Bill3508
Well Im pretty sure that the XM uses the shark fin as the antenna cable goes straight up in the direction of the shark fin. In fact I think that XM is the only thing that does use it. It part of the "XM Ready" package included in all 07s. I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by devanaire0
What's the promo code for xm radio on sewell?
I have added it to the first post, its CL911M.

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
Excellent write up! I'm glad the dealership is installing the XM when my IS350 arrives in a couple of months. I didn't realize it was that involved.
Oh man!!! Thats what this DIY was supposed to show! That its easy to do and now worth the $800 bucks or whatever the dealer wants. In all reality if I would have been working fast and wasnt taking pictures it would have only been a one hour install.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. The write up took me about as long as the install did! lol This forum and the people here have helped me out many times and I have learned so much. I enjoyed having the opportunity to give something back.
Old 07-30-07, 11:04 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent job Ben. I know i really appreciate that info. I'm just about to install myself.
Old 07-30-07, 11:15 AM
Swisha
Pole Position

great job man, i love my xm and it was worth every penny.
Old 07-30-07, 11:20 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wow thanks guys and gals for the 5 star rating on the thread! Thats a first for me!
Old 07-30-07, 02:50 PM
devanaire0
Driver

This write up is exactly what I have been looking for. Now I am going to buy the XM radio kit and install it...Right Now!
Old 07-30-07, 03:57 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Fantastic DIY write-up, Ben. I've added this thread to the FAQ's for the 2IS.

Javier
Old 07-30-07, 04:04 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Fantastic DIY write-up, Ben. I've added this thread to the FAQ's for the 2IS.

Javier
Awesome! Thank you Javier! Now I get to be immortalized along side the CL greats!

Last edited by ben_r_; 07-30-07 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 09:29 PM
revitupwio
Driver

WOW...I am elated about this thread, but still scared to try another DIY - my first didn't go 100% (nothing messed up, but...). Anyone around the Houston area need their taxes done (I work for a top-15 worldwide firm) / case of beer / great home-cooked meal via my wife?

THANKS Ben...really fantastic work.
Old 07-31-07, 09:55 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by revitupwio
WOW...I am elated about this thread, but still scared to try another DIY - my first didn't go 100% (nothing messed up, but...). Anyone around the Houston area need their taxes done (I work for a top-15 worldwide firm) / case of beer / great home-cooked meal via my wife?

THANKS Ben...really fantastic work.
NO NO NO!!! Dont be scared! Just try it! I promise that once its done you will feel so proud of yourself you will begin to wonder what other mods you can do! Next thing you know youll be talking about slappin a turbo in your IS and doing it yourself! lol
Old 07-31-07, 06:59 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
NO NO NO!!! Dont be scared! Just try it! I promise that once its done you will feel so proud of yourself you will begin to wonder what other mods you can do! Next thing you know youll be talking about slappin a turbo in your IS and doing it yourself! lol

haha...yeah - NO.

thanks for the encouragement - you made everything as simple as I think it can look - but when I did the nav hack a couple weeks ago, my car ended up having to go to the dealership to get the vents fixed (I acted dumb & they warrantied it).

I'm quite serious about having someone do it, but I'd consider it if I had someone that's done the nav hack & this one to compare the difficulty of the two for me.
Old 07-31-07, 07:12 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by revitupwio
haha...yeah - NO.

thanks for the encouragement - you made everything as simple as I think it can look - but when I did the nav hack a couple weeks ago, my car ended up having to go to the dealership to get the vents fixed (I acted dumb & they warrantied it).

I'm quite serious about having someone do it, but I'd consider it if I had someone that's done the nav hack & this one to compare the difficulty of the two for me.
Well I have done everything to do the nav hack (just to look back there) and I know those vents are the worst thing ever! But I can tell you that there really isnt anything that you can mess up with this mod unlike the vents on the nav hack.

Come on theres gotta be someone in TX that can help a fellow CL'er out!?!?
Old 07-31-07, 07:37 PM
revitupwio
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Come on theres gotta be someone in TX that can help a fellow CL'er out!?!?

seriously...

I've done taxes for people that made in the 4 digits & people that have made in the 8 digits - my wife cooks so well I've gained 45 pounds since I met her & I'd rather keep eating her dinners than lose weight, and I can buy some NICE beer - whatever's necessary

However, if I get no responses, I'll do this myself & post pics, too , since ben did such fantastic job.
Old 07-31-07, 07:45 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Great write up.

I installed my Sirius unit about a month ago and the install was the same, except for the antenna I tried and even took it to a pro to try and splice into the sharfin antenna with no luck.

I would tell people that it is not even necessary to pull the smart key box out to install the bracket. I just used the 3M double sided tape to mount the units together. The bracket is not necessary.

The hardest thing about this project is pulling the clips out on the liner and that is more a pain in the butt rather than hard.
Old 07-31-07, 09:42 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Hey so u finally got it done. It looks pretty straight forward once you get a hang of what you are doing. But yea man thanks for the DIY and whn i install mine ill be sure to use this thread.
Old 08-01-07, 08:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do this, but my '06 doesn't have the shark fin. Does anyone know how hard it is to install the antenna if it isn't already there?

Quick Reply: DIY: 2007 ISX50 OEM XM Satellite Radio Install