IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

toyota parts depts won't sell me oil filter for is350...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 03:31 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default toyota parts depts won't sell me oil filter for is350...

so i just called the two nearest toyota dealers to order the oil filter element(p/n #04152-YZZA3) for my is350. one said that was an invalid part number. i called the second one, and he said that that was a part i had to order from a lexus dealership.

now, i thought you could get the oil filter from any ol' toyota parts dept, no question asked?

and if i do order the oil filter from a lexus dealership's parts dept, how much more would it cost?
Old 07-27-07, 03:36 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that is interesting. I wonder if Lexus is trying to crack down on the Lexi being serviced by toyota scenario?

I wouldn't think that would apply to purchasing parts outright though...
Old 07-27-07, 03:38 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

buy them online? maybe cheaper too?
Old 07-27-07, 04:07 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I've got 2 suggestions for you:
- try Sewell Lexus (lexus-parts.com) w/10% CL discount
- try Carson Toyota (l-tunedparts.com) w/free shipping & no sales tax GB

Stock up now & screw the local stealerships . . .
Old 07-27-07, 04:31 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Unfortunately that's the "script" they are trying to do when buying Lexus parts at a Toyota dealership. They're suppose to point you to the Lexus dealership. No bueno.
Old 07-27-07, 05:22 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well, that certainly sucks. time to order from carson toyota then.
Old 07-27-07, 06:50 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I have absolutely no problem buying parts for my LS at Toyota dealers as long as I have the appropriate Toyota part number. Of course we also have Toyota brand vehicles and also buy parts for them from the same guys.

Heck, I just bought another 10-pack of OEM oil filters from a Toyota dealer for my LS, including 10 oil plug gaskets, for less than $40.

The Toyota dealer parts guys I know thoroughly enjoy tweaking the Lexus dealers by selling parts for a lot less.
Old 07-27-07, 08:52 PM
gwong
Rookie

Uh, not sure what script people here are talking about, but the reason Toyota won't sell you the A3 filter is they don't use it. The only cartridge Toyota uses that I'm aware of is the A1 in their Camry. Toyota can get the same parts if they are shared common parts. The 3.5L in your IS is not the same as the RX, ES, or Camry. Hint: direct injection.
Old 07-27-07, 09:02 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

It all depends on whether the Toyota dealer you're talking to feels like ordering it. None of them keep it in stock, but I've had almost every one I've called offer to order it for me, usually for delivery to the dealer by next business day.

Javier
Old 07-27-07, 09:13 PM
gwong
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It all depends on whether the Toyota dealer you're talking to feels like ordering it. None of them keep it in stock, but I've had almost every one I've called offer to order it for me, usually for delivery to the dealer by next business day.

Javier
Yes, the Toyota store can order it, but they order through a Lexus dealer. I have a couple Toyota dealers order a couple of A2 and A3 filters every so often. I've even ordered parts from a Toyota dealership for parts not common to Lexus.
Old 07-27-07, 09:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It all depends on whether the Toyota dealer you're talking to feels like ordering it.
True. Sometimes, it's also a hassle for a dealership to take their time and effort for just one filter, just because a Lexus customer wants Toyota maintenance prices.

For myself, I would just buy the oil filter prior to going to a Toyota dealership. For ease, and just in case they try to put the wrong filter...
Old 07-28-07, 07:01 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i used the 04152-YZZA2

also i can't see the relationship between Direct injection and oil filter...

also DI = more controlled way of dumpin fuel into your cylinder.. what does that do to oil filter? i don't see it.. can someone explain
Old 07-28-07, 07:56 AM
gwong
Rookie

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
i used the 04152-YZZA2

also i can't see the relationship between Direct injection and oil filter...

also DI = more controlled way of dumpin fuel into your cylinder.. what does that do to oil filter? i don't see it.. can someone explain
Actually point was that IS has a different engine than the other cars. People tend to assume that if engines have the same displacement, then they must be the same... they're not.

Do you have any issues using the A2 in your IS350? The A2 is longer, but kinda risky don't you think?
Old 07-28-07, 08:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The element in the A2 is identical. The A2 contains a plastic drain device and an o-ring that is unused on the RWD platforms. The elements have the exact same part number on them.
Old 07-28-07, 08:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by gwong
Yes, the Toyota store can order it, but they order through a Lexus dealer. I have a couple Toyota dealers order a couple of A2 and A3 filters every so often. I've even ordered parts from a Toyota dealership for parts not common to Lexus.
My Toyota dealer ordered the A2 directly from Toyota through Dealer Daily, not a Lexus dealer. I bought 10 of them to make it easy for them and me. It cost less than $50 OTD even with 7.75% sales tax.

Quick Reply: toyota parts depts won't sell me oil filter for is350...